IGNORED

Terry Cooper - Very Ill

ciderup

Just posted this on another thread but thought TC deserved a thread of his own and was wondering if the club had, or could, get a message of support to TC and his family while he fights this dreadful disease.

I appreciate many of our younger supporters might not know what TC did for us in the 80's but he definitely deserves our support.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2836975/Mark-Cooper-ends-Bristol-City-s-unbeaten-run-dad-Terry-matters.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

As someone who is just a little too young to remember his time at the club, I'd still like to pay my own tribute to the man. Back in 2011 I had the pleasure to meet him at a club dinner to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Freight Rover Trophy win. I Knew before about the sheer hard work he put in picking the club up from the dark days of 1982, what I didn't know was that he did lots of very manual jobs such as sweeping the terraces, hiring a van to drive up to Darlington to move Alan Walsh's furniture down here when he joined the club. Plus anyone who's seen his interview at the end of that Freight Rover final, when he was in tears and said it was the best day of his life, can't be in any doubt that he's up there with any City manager. IMHO he's on a par with the Ashton Gate Eight. It's time that his unstinting work was recognised at the club in some way, maybe one of the new Sports Bars could be named after him? On the night I met him, when me and my mate were leaving, he told us what a fantastic club it is and to keep supporting it through thick and thin. Get well soon Terry, thousands of City fans owe you a lot.

For anyone in any doubt, please watch this. http://youtu.be/oGnxJ45TnVg

Crikey, just before my time so I have ony heard the stories and seen the respect shown but that interview brings it home. Thoughts with him in his hour of need. The club should definitely do more in a way of safeguarding his contribution is not ever forgotten, imo.

As someone who is just a little too young to remember his time at the club, I'd still like to pay my own tribute to the man. Back in 2011 I had the pleasure to meet him at a club dinner to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Freight Rover Trophy win. I Knew before about the sheer hard work he put in picking the club up from the dark days of 1982, what I didn't know was that he did lots of very manual jobs such as sweeping the terraces, hiring a van to drive up to Darlington to move Alan Walsh's furniture down here when he joined the club. Plus anyone who's seen his interview at the end of that Freight Rover final, when he was in tears and said it was the best day of his life, can't be in any doubt that he's up there with any City manager. IMHO he's on a par with the Ashton Gate Eight. It's time that his unstinting work was recognised at the club in some way, maybe one of the new Sports Bars could be named after him? On the night I met him, when me and my mate were leaving, he told us what a fantastic club it is and to keep supporting it through thick and thin. Get well soon Terry, thousands of City fans owe you a lot.

Terry brought this club back from nowhere post 82. The bloke is a true City legend and as was mentioned on another thread had the passion and the drive to get us through to the FR final on a shoe string!

Good luck TC you started where we hope this club will go! GET WELL SOON!

I am very sorry to read that. TC was not the most intellectual of our managers, but he worked wonders with the side he inherited and is a football man through and through. He's rightly respected by guys of my age and older, who remember his era.

My best mate in the world has just been diagnosed with bowel cancer,so this story has double poignance for me.

Wish him all the best a true bristol city legend.Not sure his boy did him self any favours though in becoming our manager one day.Our lot don't forget to easily. As for Terry get well soon you'll always be remembered at ashton gate as a true city legend. Hope to see back at the gate very soon.

Just posted this on another thread but thought TC deserved a thread of his own and was wondering if the club had, or could, get a message of support to TC and his family while he fights this dreadful disease.

I appreciate many of our younger supporters might not know what TC did for us in the 80's but he definitely deserves our support.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2836975/Mark-Cooper-ends-Bristol-City-s-unbeaten-run-dad-Terry-matters.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

My favourite Manager since watching City.  He even put his own money into the club and became a City director.  I can't think of anybody else in the game who has been a Player/Manager/Director at the same time.  Good, Honest hardworking bloke.  I wish him all the best

My best wishes go to TC without whom, BCFC as we know it might not have survived the bankruptcy in 1982.

PS. Pity his son does not have the same integrity as a football manager.

Is there really any need to have a go at his son? I despair sometimes with people on here.

best wishes to TC.

When he first became manager in Div 4 he used to come on as sub for the last 20 minutes if things weren't going too well and could turn things around, even though he was about 40 at the time. He was a class above everyone else and could make time on the ball for a perfect chipped pass, he just couldn't run about!

I agree that he should be honored t the new Ashton Gate. I remember speaking to him when he came down with Leeds United for John Atyeo testimonial. Also me living in Southampton and writing to him about the City. I then got hand written letters back from Terry, and which i still have. That's the sort of man he is, a great man, international footballer and manager. Terry get yourself down to the new Ashton Gate in the next couple of years. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

Sad news - TC was the manager when I started going, love that man for what he done for my club back in the day

Every single City fan is behind you Terry, and puts the defeat into perspective. Without the work that TC done, alongside many others, there may have been no Bristol City for us all to enjoy. Keep fighting Terry

Out of interest, why does his son lack integrity? Or are you just pi55ed we lost?

Statements like that bug the hell out of me. From everything I've seen MC has shown nothing to suggest what you say is correct, he repeated what he overheard on the mike, he said nothing about the "incident", and to suggest because of it he doesn't have the same qualities as TC is a crock.

Don't recall anyone questions GJ's integrity when Colin's team scored a goal against us that wasn't given, and can assure you that TC certainly wouldn't have wandered across and apologised. They want to win, it's how it rolls..

TC top man,let's all hope that he gets better soon.

Even though we were a shambles of a club back then,the work he put in on and off the pitch makes me look back with great memories.

As others have said, I don't think we would have survived without him, he deserves great credit for what he did for Bristol City.

My best wishes go to TC without whom, BCFC as we know it might not have survived the bankruptcy in 1982.

Get well soon Terry.  Great bloke.

Your comment about his son is absolutely right but you're asking to be shot down within this thread.

Archived