IGNORED

Celebrity Patrons?

CyderInACan

Seeing as not a day can go by without some celeb patron or other distancing themselves from Sheff Utd, I wondered if we have any official "Patrons" in the capacity they seem to? I know we have celebs that are run-of-t'mill fans (3D, Baldrick, Cleese etc) but do we have any in any official capacity or do we even NEED any?

What does a "patron" even do?

Seeing as not a day can go by without some celeb patron or other distancing themselves from Sheff Utd, I wondered if we have any official "Patrons" in the capacity they seem to? I know we have celebs that are run-of-t'mill fans (3D, Baldrick, Cleese etc) but do we have any in any official capacity or do we even NEED any?

Raises the profile of the club.  Networks.  Gets involved in fundraising.  That sort of thing...

In theatrical terms,luvvy,'tis one who supports the company morally and financially

Interestingly in France "Patron" is the term for "Boss".

The female equivalent of this word is "matron"

As in "oooh ,matron ! "

Saw Mark Watson at the Tobacco Factory last night. Very good if you've not seen him.

As he was doing his stuff a couple in the front row were occasionally talking, explaining jokes or whatever. Mark decided to have a word, saying that what they were doing was just like committing a foul in football right in front of the referee, fully deserving of a yellow card. Unless, he went on, it's in the first minute of the game and there ref's lost all sense of proportion, in which case it would be a red.

So this is how I think it works:

Become a C list celebrity. This is achieved by either:

a) Being A/B list and seeing your career disappear i.e. Paul Heaton

b) Being pretty talentless but on telly i.e. Charlie Webster

Then when you can shit on the club you are patron of in exchange for some much needed national news for 2 days - you do so.

Interesting when highly suspect and morally bankrupt businessmen buy a football club- no one resigns as patron.

What a sad bad mad cynical football world

Archived