IGNORED

Bob Geldof & Band Aid 30

The Batman

Could not see a topic on it

New song is shite, but what about all his rants about the artists' tax and his behaviour on Sky News, the comments he made about Adele and these African charities who have criticised it all.

One song too many I think. All seemed a bit of a rush this one.

I think his daughter's death may have hit him a bit harder than is perceived.

• Admin

As amusing as the Sky interview was, he came across as a bit of a dick. Rather than his crass replies he should have justified an answer.

To me the song has been done to death, the original was something unique, but nowadays the drones who buy pop shite will purchase anything with certain singers / groups within it.

Stumbled over this article earlier.  Found myself nodding in agreement at large parts of it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/ebola/11236278/Why-Adele-was-right-to-ignore-Bob-Geldof-and-Band-Aid.html

Agree with the whole article, Geldof needs to get his soapbox and actually donate some money himself rather than demanding everyone buy it.

I am not a fan of mainstream pop in the slightest but fair play to Adele for making a private donation to Oxfam. A thoroughly decent thing to do

Donations in Britain to charities including the one I work for are dropping. Very few people do anything for nothing, or low pay anymore.

There really is enough food and money on this planet for all. These diseases can be defeated if inequality is addressed. Mr Geldof is hardly the enemy, neither are the rest of the artists on this record I cannot name. Governments, political parties and a large part of the media look at economic inequality as being natural, greed being good.

I have nothing against a record whose message is a simplistic one about care and compassion, even if I can't listen to it.

Imagine that! Wages are dropping in real terms as pay rises are outstripped by inflation! I agree that there's a lack of compassion in society these days, but do you really think a load of tax-dodging pop stars flying in on a private just to donate a couple of hours of their time is compassion? I agree that Geldof isn't the enemy, but neither is he helping to solve the problem. This exercise is more about feeding Sir Bobs ego than helping West Africa

How does anyone know if Bono and Bob haven't also made private donations under the radar. Maybe what Bono dodges in taxes he gives to charity. Adele's 'private' and 'secret' donation came to light. Only one person could have spilled the beans on that one and that is Adele. I agree with her sentiments and I agree the song is beaten to death but anything that raises money for any charity should not be put down and those organising it lambasted. 

One Direction can bugger off mind

Oh and one more thing; singing 'Do They Know It's Christmas?' at people in countries with significant Muslim populations who've also been hammered by Ebola is crass

Not only that but there WILL be snow in Africa this Christmas time. At least at the summit of Kilimanjaro.

Feed the world?!!! I thought this was about Ebola not starvstion!

Nice of them to change the line "well tonight thank god its them instead of you

To "well tonight were reaching out and touching you". Hmmmm probably the most ill thought out lyrics, considering what the song is for, that I can imagine. Unless it is a oiss take!

:laugh: publicity seeking ***** put together a song in 20 minutes on a back of a fag packet. Well done Bob, you can use a phone. Marvelous.

How does anyone know if Bono and Bob haven't also made private donations under the radar. Maybe what Bono dodges in taxes he gives to charity. Adele's 'private' and 'secret' donation came to light. Only one person could have spilled the beans on that one and that is Adele. I agree with her sentiments and I agree the song is beaten to death but anything that raises money for any charity should not be put down and those organising it lambasted. 

One Direction can bugger off mind

Oh, if only they would !!

A Public Holiday will be in order for the day they split up. Hopefully soon !

:thumbsup:

I just love the fact the song is about (mainly) Muslims knowing that it is Christmas. You really could not make it up.

I'm sure if Davros was still here he'd be able to tell you that Muslims recognise Jesus as the final prophet before Muhammad. He features in the Qu'uran/Koran and prayers are said on his "birthday" which is a different day in their calendar to our Christmas.

Anyway, that's enough theology for tonight.

Archived