IGNORED

Should Pubs Be Untied?

Aizoon

Should pubs be untied?  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Who, FFS, is going to vote NO in this poll??

:dunno:

TFR

All depends, I guess. If you live in a village with just one pub, you might be more concerned about it being closed than about cheaper booze..

Don't forget CAMRA campaigned for ages to untie pubs from breweries - that went well, didn't it?

In the olden days, when there was a very limited choice of lagers and ciders, I used to love finding  free house. 

Guaranteed a decent quality drink. Different now most pubs have a lager or cider that's worth drinking.  There are still exceptions mind.

I struggled with voting on this one. Tied or not, the price of your pint will depend on many more factors including the economics of the area, footfall and competition.

My partner has "leased" many tied houses, some where a favourable rent has offset the additional cost of beer, and others where there is a partial tie. of course living accommodation is also usually included.

In the village where we now live (retired before the smoking ban) all the remaining (5) pubs are freehold as were three others now closed.

The beer locally is not cheap and prices are akin to a cartel. Those that have held the freehold in the family for a long period make a good living. Those that have had to borrow on a mortgage not so. It's not the freehold value that keeps you afloat, its the cashflow especlally where a seasonal trade exists.

If you want cheap beer, there is always "Spoons"!

Pubcos are responsible for the death of more pubs than anything else. When tied houses were brewery estates, the parent firm had a vested interest in maintaining outlets for its produce open. Now these Pubcos - often owned by "vulture" venture capitalism firms - are happy to shut outlets at the drop of a hat if they feel they can get a quick profit from selling for housing.

When landlords are successful at generating profits, the pubco simply hikes the rent to unsustainable levels, the aim being to soak as much cash from the hapless tenant in as short a time as possible. If this ends with the community losing a pub that had served it for hundreds of years, why would that concern the faceless owners in their City cigar bars?

Pubcos are responsible for the death of more pubs than anything else. When tied houses were brewery estates, the parent firm had a vested interest in maintaining outlets for its produce open. Now these Pubcos - often owned by "vulture" venture capitalism firms - are happy to shut outlets at the drop of a hat if they feel they can get a quick profit from selling for housing.

When landlords are successful at generating profits, the pubco simply hikes the rent to unsustainable levels, the aim being to soak as much cash from the hapless tenant in as short a time as possible. If this ends with the community losing a pub that had served it for hundreds of years, why would that concern the faceless owners in their City cigar bars?

This + several million

Pubcos essentially created landowners where the emphasis is on landlordship rather than establishing a successful pub business hence the rake in rent and beer prices.

However what concerns me us Enterprise/Punch et al may now insert other financial caveats to New licencees going forward like increased insurance or orther liabilities to claim back.

Should be encouraged IMO, but they do not do as good a job of hoovering up carelessly discarded pub snacks as dogs, admittedly.

There was an odd but friendly pub in Truro where the pub dog lived at floor level and the pub cat lived on a sort of extended picture rail or very high shelf. Seemed to suit them, though.

As someone who has relentlessly campaigned for the past 2 years to prevent my village local (in fact I live next door to it) being granted change of use to residential, I claim some expertise on this subject.

You have to differentiate between the PubCos and the breweries. Problem is most people don't appreciate there is a difference.

In my own way, I endorse the words of Red-Robbo - PubCos are *****.

In rural areas, if you see a well managed, up together pub serving a decent range of quality drinks and/or food, chance are the freehold is owned by a small, local, independent. If you see a shithole serving nothing but John Smiths and Carling, its almost certainly owned by Admiral, Punch, or Enterprise. Those ***** will, in the long term, kill the pub in rural areas, if they are allowed to.

We have recently succeeded in having Asset of Community Value status conferred on our pub. That only gives limited protection however. There is still a chance the owner - he purchased from Admiral - could persuade the planners that the pub is not viable as a pub, on the basis of what has happened to the pub over the past 15 years of Admiral's ownership.

A pub free of tie would have been an entirely different animal. NOT lower prices, but more profitable to the operator of the pub and hence demonstrably viable.

The Beer Orders of the 1980's forced breweries to sell off thousands of pubs - so they just set up property companies to own them instead. Over the years these over geared companies have bought and sold vast swathes of pubs, each time taking on more debt. The result is the PubCo's do not have the funds to maintain pubs to a decent standard even if they wanted to - which they don't, because it is easier and more lucrative to run them into the ground and then sell as a development opportunity.

Without a doubt, not only should pub operators be freed of the PubCo tie, but pubs themselves should be better protected against development than they are now.

Archived