IGNORED

Explain This To Me

Port Said Red

for years we were told by the uber fans/singers that we needed the East End or a stand in that style because, "the Atyeo is badly designed and any noise is lost into the ether"
I was considering this point today as I listened to yet another group of away supporters drown out the rest of the ground.
so have we been lied to all these years? Will they wheel out the same excuses about the new stand, with the obvious cry about soulless bowls etc?
or will they admit that it has less to do with the ground than they would like us to think?

for years we were told by the uber fans/singers that we needed the East End or a stand in that style because, "the Atyeo is badly designed and any noise is lost into the ether"

I was considering this point today as I listened to yet another group of away supporters drown out the rest of the ground.

so have we been lied to all these years? Will they wheel out the same excuses about the new stand, with the obvious cry about soulless bowls etc?

or will they admit that has less to do with the ground than they would like us to think?

This

or will they admit that it has less to do with the ground than they would like us to think?

Are you suggesting it's the fans rather than the stand that make the atmosphere? I hope you've got your tin hat on!

Or maybe, City fans will stop trying to start fights against sections of OUR support.

I'd prefer that to an 'uber fan' apology, to be honest.

It's less about starting a fight with other groups than it is about how the ground changes are being greeted. Constant moans about the lack of consultation and how it has to be built a certain way to ensure the fans can create an atmosphere, and yet as I say, the supposedly "soulless" Atyeo has been playing host to several groups of supporters who have no trouble generating a noise that we have been told wasn't possible to get in that kind of stand. Again, I ask, who can explain that to me?

Are you suggesting it's the fans rather than the stand that make the atmosphere? I hope you've got your tin hat on!

OMG! What a suggestion - it's fans not a clapped out old stand with a low roof that makes the atmosphere? This is as amazing as saying the world is round not flat.

The stand with the lowest roof will always have the best noise amplifying qualities. That stand is the Atyeo currently.

However it is true that away fans sing more than home fans, and fans whose team is winning sing more than fans whose team is losing. Twas ever thus.

If it was all so easy why did you not step up to the mark to lead fans into the Atyeo?

If the Eastend existed this season I think it would be rocking. My day, my friends and that of our kids now in the Williams is duller. It is not hard to understand.

Petty jibes aside part of the argument presented to Steve Lansdown in 2007 for moving into the Eastend was that it was the best environment to create atmosphere in, not that it was impossible in the Atyeo, but that the Eastend made it easier for a number of variable reasons i.e acoustics and space. A move into the Atyeo would have meant moving season ticket holders and families v moving into empty blocks in the Eastend.

If anything the current poor experience in the Williams reinforces the view that design does affect support.

As for Preston, it is hardly surprising that a support containing a significant number who had been one the lash in Bristol since the morning watching a team at times boss the league leaders, thus created a half decent atmosphere, even if it was only audible occasionally from the end of the Williams . An opinion backed by experience would be that they would have been even more boisterous in the old blocks B-C of the Eastend, as would Bristol City fans to their right in F - H.

As others have indicated it is up to you to move on and shape YOUR day. Fans also follow fans as they did back into the Eastend, and if you have the energy, the influence and something tangible post redevelopment fans will rally round, then hundreds of fans will follow YOU.

The choice is yours, don't blame others for your apathy, diy.

Petty jibes aside part of the argument presented to Steve Lansdown in 2007 for moving into the Eastend was that it was the best environment to create atmosphere in, not that it was impossible in the Atyeo, but that the Eastend made it easier for a number of variable reasons i.e acoustics and space. A move into the Atyeo would have meant moving season ticket holders and families v moving into empty blocks in the Eastend.

If anything the current poor experience in the Williams reinforces the view that design does affect support.

As for Preston, it is hardly surprising that a support containing a significant number who had been one the lash in Bristol since the morning watching a team at times boss the league leaders, thus created a half decent atmosphere, even if it was only audible occasionally from the end of the Williams . An opinion backed by experience would be that they would have been even more boisterous in the old blocks B-C of the Eastend, as would Bristol City fans to their right in F - H.

As others have indicated it is up to you to move on and shape YOUR day. Fans also follow fans as they did back into the Eastend, and if you have the energy, the influence and something tangible post redevelopment fans will rally round, then hundreds of fans will follow YOU.

The choice is yours, don't blame others for your apathy, diy.

I am in the Williams and I can't hear our singers next to me. So either you are right and the acoustics are terrible or they weren't singing.  Once again my question isn't about that. I want to know how come they can overcome these problems when we apparently can't. I was more than happy to sing when in the East End and even been known to lead the odd song here and there. But on the odd time I have tried it in the Williams I have felt like Tony Harling (one for the oldies there).

Oh and as for the petty jibes, I was referring to the posters on here who constantly attack the "dull moan" etc. Those fans pay their money and support in their own way but get the same kind of petty jibes. 

I will answer my own question with a possible answer. Perhaps the culture of the City fans is to turn up and watch the game for what it is, maybe there are just not enough of us that like to spend 2 hours a week, singing repetitive chants?

The stand with the lowest roof will always have the best noise amplifying qualities. That stand is the Atyeo currently.

However it is true that away fans sing more than home fans, and fans whose team is winning sing more than fans whose team is losing. Twas ever thus.

Pfffft.  There you go with your tedious facts again RR, please let the rest of us have an ill-informed debate for a while and let those people who always want to have a pop at the eastend have their go :P

I know all the singers think that they are the only ones who support the team vocally. 

But I creased myself with laughter when someone beside me going out of the Atyeo at the end of the game said ;

"We lost today because we didn't sing".

No, we lost because Wilbs missed an absolute sitter early on and of our SEVENTEEN efforts at goal, only FOUR were on target.

Preston had seven efforts all on target.

And no mention of the smoke bombs let off by the Preston fans? Nobody affected by all that smoke?

I may be wrong but I understood the argument for he EE wasn't about the lowest roof it was about the shape of the roof and the noise escaping "up and out" in the Atyeo rather than being retained.

Are we now saying that once the EE and Williams is rebuilt the Atyeo needs to be where the singers need to go? Should we put away fans in the Dolman?

I may be wrong but I understood the argument for he EE wasn't about the lowest roof it was about the shape of the roof and the noise escaping "up and out" in the Atyeo rather than being retained.

Are we now saying that once the EE and Williams is rebuilt the Atyeo needs to be where the singers need to go? Should we put away fans in the Dolman?

That'll teach 'em, ha ha!

Will the new AG continue to have stands of varying roof height? I'm asking because as I don't consider myself to to be an expert on stadium design I've only vaguely followed the rebuild programme.

I thought that the Oldham fans made more noise than Preston to be honest. At the start of the game it was very noisy in the Williams. When the team is not at it's best and the opposition score then the atmosphere is a bit defeatest. A bit like reading otib if I'm honest.

We seem to be expecting to walk the league all of a sudden, that is never going to happen. We always had a tough November and that's how it is proving sadly. But two league games into December I am sure we will be world-beaters again. It's not about stands or fans, it's just football.

Best "atmosphere" home or away in recent years? 4 nil down at WBA. We whip ourselves into a small frenzy and then Hartley scores.

It's less about starting a fight with other groups than it is about how the ground changes are being greeted. Constant moans about the lack of consultation and how it has to be built a certain way to ensure the fans can create an atmosphere, and yet as I say, the supposedly "soulless" Atyeo has been playing host to several groups of supporters who have no trouble generating a noise that we have been told wasn't possible to get in that kind of stand. Again, I ask, who can explain that to me?

Because when you are sat in there and hear your own voice and own fans singing that is very different from hearing 'intruders' singing loudly in one ear where previously for many moons there was no opposing noise. It's a new contrast.

Traditionally the Atyeo really only truly belts a song out when the rest of the ground is singing - it can't be argued by anyone with functioning hearing that the Atyeo leads the singing - and so at that point the noise the Atyeo makes is swirled into the mix of the Dolman too, and, formerly, the EE.

Now, that numerically slightly reduced home noise emanating from the Atyeo - still, solely at times of joining in with, and being difficult to distinguish from, other parts of the ground - is juxtaposed sharply against more vociferous away noise (more vociferous as they feel outnumbered and therefore put a bit more oomph in, plus away fans tend to be more hardcore and noisy, certainly compared with the more sedentary Atyeo fans [no offence intended]). 

Any noise coming from away fans would always be distant, now it is brought vividly into focus.

Novelty is not the word to use here, I can't quite find the right one - reacquaintance? - but the Atyeo is getting used to having opposing noise so near. When it was the Open/Park End, even the noise of 3000 Chelsea ('90) or 4000 Forest ('89) or Sheff U ('88) would drift away sans roof. Being up that close in among the home fans, up tight against the away fans in the Park End, they never sounded that noisy. But then nor did we (in the Park End) to them. Not without a roof. Therefore people who swapped standing behind that goal for sitting behind it have not had to put up with away noise (it being up the other end of the pitch till August this year). It is a new phenomenon for many and probably slightly exaggerated because of this (they certainly don't drown out the ground, anyhow).

These, above, are the reasons why the away fans sound so noisy.

In my view, like.

Archived