IGNORED

England V Australia

westred1

Proves how shit rugby is (I assume your talking about rugby?) as I had no idea we were playing the Aussies..

Does your ignorance towards the sport really prove how 'shit' it is? It's a great sport! It shares similar amount of passion as football, plus you get to drink in the stands!

I don't get the rugby haters. The Autumn internationals are fantastic, and the 6N is one of the highlights of the sporting year. I won't even go into Lions tours, if you can't appreciate blokes who smash each other up for a living coming together to form a team then rugby just isn't the game for you I guess

Passionate players, passionate fans, smash mouth game - what more do you want from sport?

I don't get the rugby haters. The Autumn internationals are fantastic, and the 6N is one of the highlights of the sporting year. I won't even go into Lions tours, if you can't appreciate blokes who smash each other up for a living coming together to form a team then rugby just isn't the game for you I guess

Passionate players, passionate fans, smash mouth game - what more do you want from sport?

I don't mind it Woodsy, particularly the international games, but the rules are so opaque and super fussy it leads to all sorts of stoppages where not even the players or the TV pundits know what the infraction was until the ref explains it. Too many penalties. Teams can win games whilst appearing to play worse, but the whim of the ref can utterly transform things. Scrums are bloody boring to watch too.

So while I like to watch an open, running game, I generally find rugby too stop-start compared to football to really love.

Ironically, when I was at school I much preferred playing rugby (and was better at it) than football.

I don't mind it Woodsy, particularly the international games, but the rules are so opaque and super fussy it leads to all sorts of stoppages where not even the players or the TV pundits know what the infraction was until the ref explains it. Too many penalties. Teams can win games whilst appearing to play worse, but the whim of the ref can utterly transform things. Scrums are bloody boring to watch too.

So while I like to watch an open, running game, I generally find rugby too stop-start compared to football to really love.

Ironically, when I was at school I much preferred playing rugby (and was better at it) than football.

I understand the rules and the stop/start nature of the game can put a lot of people off. I find the scrum fascinating, played mostly centre or wing back in the day so was never involved until I played a couple of games at flanker. The willingness of people to really put their bodies on the line time and time again in scrums is amazing, I have the upmost respect for anyone who has ever played hooker or prop at any level. They are tough positions to play

I just love the game, although the size of the players now, I'm not so sure I'd be overly fussed about playing again! Machines

And the amount of fans you get at Barcelona puts international rugby to shame

I went to England v All Blacks, England V Samoa, England v Australia and Scotland v All Blacks. There were 82,000 at each of the England matches and 60 odd thousand at Murrayfield, bigger crowds than most international football matches.

I understand the rules and the stop/start nature of the game can put a lot of people off. I find the scrum fascinating, played mostly centre or wing back in the day so was never involved until I played a couple of games at flanker. The willingness of people to really put their bodies on the line time and time again in scrums is amazing, I have the upmost respect for anyone who has ever played hooker or prop at any level. They are tough positions to play

I just love the game, although the size of the players now, I'm not so sure I'd be overly fussed about playing again! Machines

I'm a rugby fan as well,especially International games,I find them more interesting than International football to be honest.

The one thing I would change is that the clock stops until the ball comes out of the scrum,I'm fed up with seeing scrums reset time after time and the clock still running.

Some games lose 10-15 minutes in time,just through the time wasted at scrums.

I'm a rugby fan as well,especially International games,I find them more interesting than International football to be honest.

The one thing I would change is that the clock stops until the ball comes out of the scrum,I'm fed up with seeing scrums reset time after time and the clock still running.

Some games lose 10-15 minutes in time,just through the time wasted at scrums.

Would agree on both points - international rugby has the edge over football for me too. Guess there's less of it, and no such thing as a friendly either

Great idea on the scrum. I'm sure there are some stats there about how much time is eaten up

Yes you can. At clubs in the conference n/s and below, not all clubs allow it but it's not against the 'rules'. However if said club is playing in the FA Cup then standard fa rules surrounding drinking in sight of the pitch are in place.

Care to prove me wrong???

Okay, you cannot drink in sight of the pitch at Conference level, below that you can.

• Admin

I went to England v All Blacks, England V Samoa, England v Australia and Scotland v All Blacks. There were 82,000 at each of the England matches and 60 odd thousand at Murrayfield, bigger crowds than most international football matches.

Not sure they can be compared

The 6 nations are against local rivals - which would always guarantee a sell out

The Autumn internationals are against the best from the rest of the world - which would always guarantee a sell out

Due to the way the games are bunched together they will always attract large crowds

Not sure they can be compared

The 6 nations are against local rivals - which would always guarantee a sell out

The Autumn internationals are against the best from the rest of the world - which would always guarantee a sell out

Due to the way the games are bunched together they will always attract large crowds

Samoa are not the rest of the best and that sold out.

Ireland were near capacity against Georgia.

The same with France and Wales when they hosted Fiji!

• Admin

Samoa are not the rest of the best and that sold out.

Ireland were near capacity against Georgia.

The same with France and Wales when they hosted Fiji!

OK lets put it simpler, there are probably a maximum of 10-12 countries that are worth paying to see, equate that against football

OK lets put it simpler, there are probably a maximum of 10-12 countries that are worth paying to see, equate that against football

I'd have thought about the same as football. England rugby is most definitely better supported than England football. Maybe it is the rarity of fixtures that means international rugby is so well attended, I would suggest that means rugby is doing it right, whereas football,in it's relentless drive for more and more cash, is killing the golden goose.

I think that's the point here - I'd pay to watch the top 8 of the top 10-12 play rugby. I couldn't really give a toss about international football, unless it's England. And I'm not too sure I'd pay to watch us play right now

I'd rather watch NZ - Aus play rugby than Bra - Arg play football, for example

Never the twain shall meet - I understand why people don't like rugby, and you can't compare the stature of the two sports on a world wide basis, football is the king. Rugby may be on a much smaller scale, but it doesn't lessen the excitement for me, in fact it creates more as I see it less

No sarcasm in the fact that my comment followed one about non league football. Your point is very valid, Rugby imo is the best supported main 3 sport (Football, Rugby, Cricket). Continually sells year on year despite the fact the range of opposition is so repetitive and its just an indicator of the spetical that is international rugby. Through invites and uni I've been to see Wales several times and the atmosphere you get in the Millennium is probably the best I remember from any sporting event, bar maybe pre play off final Wembley, that left a big impression too.

Archived