IGNORED

The New Ashton Gate

where's the joy

When we were in Div 1 before we averaged around 21000 and gates were generally higher then as admission charges were much lower. We only exceeded 27000 when playing the big names (Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City and Leeds at that time). 27000 in the Prem should be fine for us if we limit the number of away fans for the big games.

Crowds were generally smaller in mid 70's to the early 90's, I remember watching city play up at Newcastle in front of a crowd of just 11000

When we were in Div 1 before we averaged around 21000 and gates were generally higher then as admission charges were much lower. We only exceeded 27000 when playing the big names (Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City and Leeds at that time). 27000 in the Prem should be fine for us if we limit the number of away fans for the big games.

Those were the days when thousands were let in due to dodgy stewards who let all their mates in for free, there was always the allegation of not declaring every person in the ground to afford tax and the general technology of counting the attendance

Remember back most of the ground was terracing so easy if you were inclined to fiddle the attendance.

Going to Rovers matches in the 80s at the Gate usually the crowd was given at around 17 to 18 thousand which was never an all ticket match.

When the first derby match at the now all seated stadium with a capacity of 21000 in the mid 90s, the game wasn't an all ticket affair just like previous matches yet thousands of City and Rovers fans were locked out and gates were stormed and thousands more got in, around 30,000 turned up that night so it goes to prove what we all knew then, that when it was announced that they was 18000 its was an massive under estimate.

Naturally we are concentrating on Bristol City here, but if Bristol Rugby were to get to the Premier League, as a minimum the Bath and Gloucester games would sell out 27k easily.

Would they though? I'm not sure they filled the memorial that often in the prem.

I am not sure about every Prem game, but specifically against Bath and Glos. To support my hypothesis, in 2003 and 2006 Bris played Bath at AG and sold out both times with attendances of 21k.

That would suggest that 27K is just about right, then,

Much like the wedlocks and the luck well club it's property tycoons who seek planning permission and then want to sell on at inflated price. I disagree about the Crukshanks site thought - would make an ideal budget hotel site - close to AG, close to Airport and only 5 minutes from the centre.

Not sure if this is still happening or how long ago it was but Access Self Storage Ltd a client of CSJ Planning has secured planning permission for the re-development of the former Mercedes Garage on Winterstoke Road.

http://www.csj-planning.co.uk/projects/industrial/former-mercedes-garage-winterstoke-road.php

I know a bloke who used to have a number of those houses.

He now owns two and lives in one of them.

The last one he sold was earlier this year for just under 400k.

His is valued the same.

Incidentally, he told me that he had never had an approach from the club to buy any of his houses and he sold them all to different private buyers going back some time. Thats not to say that others have not been bought up by the club. He also said that if the club wanted his house they would have to pay a hell of a lot more than market price. I'd assume that would be the same for all of them.

The fact he would up the price if the club brought them is the reason why unknowingly these private buyers have brought them on behalf of the clubs behalf. I'm just guessing mind but certainly seems feasible. When Lansdown brought AV he didn't buy it in his name or the clubs name...

Those were the days when thousands were let in due to dodgy stewards who let all their mates in for free, there was always the allegation of not declaring every person in the ground to afford tax and the general technology of counting the attendance

Remember back most of the ground was terracing so easy if you were inclined to fiddle the attendance.

Going to Rovers matches in the 80s at the Gate usually the crowd was given at around 17 to 18 thousand which was never an all ticket match.

When the first derby match at the now all seated stadium with a capacity of 21000 in the mid 90s, the game wasn't an all ticket affair just like previous matches yet thousands of City and Rovers fans were locked out and gates were stormed and thousands more got in, around 30,000 turned up that night so it goes to prove what we all knew then, that when it was announced that they was 18000 its was an massive under estimate.

I thought that game was all ticket but due to a cock-up in the ticketing system season tickets were sold as match day tickets and effectively sold twice and then subsequently sold out meaning an extra 8k or so had tickets but were not able to get in. Anyway defiantly about 30k there that night.

I think 27k is about right - its about the same size as the Britannia, the Hawthorns, Selhurst, Craven Cottage and Carrow Road and bigger than the Liberty and Loftus rd buy quite a bit. I think its a stadium fit for where were currently aiming (the bottom half of the prem), there is no point in building something for where we are which would have been 21k, if we were to get to the bottom half of the prem then I don't think 27k could push us on to the next level but that's the future.

unknowingly these private buyers have --- brought --- them on behalf of the clubs behalf.

Ok. Off topic, but I have to ask: (Sorry to be a pedant) Not picking on you just Red, you are one of many, but what is this strange disease concerning the above word that seems to be taking hold? Annoys the hell out of me!

BROUGHT. Past tense of bring.

BOUGHT. Past tense of buy.

Why do so many people use "brought" instead of "bought" when it is so clearly wrong? I've a mate who says it all the time, and I'd assumed it was a speech thing, but I'm seeing it more and more in written form now. People aren't getting them mixed up, because you never see it reversed, such as "I've bought my son with me..."

Please can someone explain.

Thanks in advance.

Its would not just be a increased capacity, you could include retail, hospitality, hotel and a large block of flats which would make such a project very lucrative.

Actually the Gas are pretty close to that at the Methanium. I'm told they have a large flock of bats...

Not sure if this is still happening or how long ago it was but Access Self Storage Ltd a client of CSJ Planning has secured planning permission for the re-development of the former Mercedes Garage on Winterstoke Road.

http://www.csj-planning.co.uk/projects/industrial/former-mercedes-garage-winterstoke-road.php

Is that some kind of joke? Horrendous

That junction is also a joke, I'm sure with increased capacity of the stadium that road will have to be widened or something

If you built a block of flats at AG, the NIMBYs would move in and complain about the football :facepalm:

They already have this in motorsport http://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2012/2014/december/race-circuit-petition/

Some music venues have had the same issue. People move in next to a gig venue that's been there decades and then get the place closed down because of the noise.

They already have this in motorsport http://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2012/2014/december/race-circuit-petition/

Some music venues have had the same issue. People move in next to a gig venue that's been there decades and then get the place closed down because of the noise.

I typed out a similar reply, case in point the Fleece. 

Certain clauses concerning windows being sealed to avoid/reduce noise pollution, only for the developers to appeal after the purchase had gone through. There is an online petition for the Fleece somewhere.

EDIT:

https://www.change.org/p/bristol-city-council-save-the-fleece-from-closure

Ok. Off topic, but I have to ask: (Sorry to be a pedant) Not picking on you just Red, you are one of many, but what is this strange disease concerning the above word that seems to be taking hold? Annoys the hell out of me!

Why do so many people use "brought" instead of "bought" when it is so clearly wrong? I've a mate who says it all the time, and I'd assumed it was a speech thing, but I'm seeing it more and more in written form now. People aren't getting them mixed up, because you never see it reversed, such as "I've bought my son with me..."

Thanks in advance.

Its probly becus the yooff of today dont no how to talk proper. To much txting and watchin stuf on tv and dee intranet.

Thanks in advance.

When I looked online the planning had not been renewed but they may have got around it - like the Wedlocks Pub - by doing just enough to deem that the build has started.

He also said that if the club wanted his house they would have to pay a hell of a lot more than market price. I'd assume that would be the same for all of them.

I'd imagine if the club were buying them, they wouldn't be doing it directly... for that said reason.

Thanks in advance.

No offence taken. Tbh I didn't even realise but now thinking about it I actually probably say it when talking. Think it may be a Bristolian thing?

If we reached the prem then the value of our support suddenly become fairly insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

The amount of television revenue being paid to clubs probably puts 'fans' in 4th place in terms of revenue. TV Money first, overseas market second, hospitality/stadium revenue third and then 'those people who like to turn up and watch games in person' in forth spot.

So any expansion wouldn't be for the benefit of us!

Bit weird isn't it. If you take any of the the London clubs or Liverpool clubs they've managed without car parking for a long time.

Yet if you take Reading with ample parking its a nightmare to get out!

I think its imperative that the railway station at AG is opened to help with much bigger crowds.

Agree, though just sorting out trains to Parson Street would do for starters. more parking space = more car journeys = more traffic jams. It's pointless driving within London. Trouble in Bristol is a lack of affordable, reliable, joined up public transport providing an alternative to car use.

Needs to be taken back into public ownership based on the tfl model. Trouble is Bristol is organised in the interests of those already making vast sums of money from the current set up.

No offence taken. Tbh I didn't even realise but now thinking about it I actually probably say it when talking. Think it may be a Bristolian thing?

Not a bristol thing just plain poor education.

It's like how I've heard mention that people from Bristol say Asdal instead of Asda, what a load of rubbish.

And for that, we can thank Tory B Liar and his cronies. He replaced Common Law that had been there for the best part of a millennium with a NIMBY's charter.

Not a bristol thing just plain poor education.

It's like how I've heard mention that people from Bristol say Asdal instead of Asda, what a load of rubbish.

It's the "of" instead of" have" that gets me!

I've heard it a lot round these parts. My friend says it but then she also say 'borry' instead of borrow

Archived