IGNORED

The M32 Speed Limit

Lack of Action Man

Is anyone else starting to get royally pissed off by the ludicrous speed limit of 40 mph on the m32?

Allegedly for safety reasons due to a corroded divisive barrier, I fear that this is another behind closed doors attempt to make Bristol even more anti-motorist.

If I could see visible signs that progress was being made on repairing or replacing the fence or even on surveying it and the traffic flow, I'd understand the sped limit review. However since its been 4 months now and no activity I'm starting to think that bastard Ferguson might be up to something.

To repair the barrier would be a bit of a nightmare though, at a guess they'd want to replace it with the new longer lasting & less maintenance concrete stuff they've been installing elsewhere. To that purpose they'd have to close a lane either side of the M32 and it'd take 3+ months going by how long it took them to do the 10 mile stretch up at Worcester (about 9 months).  I get the feeling it would be horrific if they went down to one lane. That's my non conspiracy theory anyway.. I do wonder if they just wanted it at 40mph anyway..

It has absolutely nothing to do with Red Trousers on this occasion a from conversations I have had, it is purely a safety issue.

4.5km of CSB can, and has been installed, in about 9 weeks, unfortunately due to the additional loading, it is doubtful whether it could be installed across the Eastville Viaduct without extensive repairs and refurbishment of the bridge itself.

It is further complicated due to the drainage being located within the bridge deck Central reservation, which is constantly blocked due to collapsed pipes and shallow gradients resulting in blockages - and you are right Tom, due to the narrow hardshoulder, it is likely that both direction would be reduced to one lane.

Because 95% of traffic ignores the 40mph limit so driving at 40mph is dangerous with other traffic zooming around

Dangerous? Rubbish. I've done it a million times. Not dangerous in the slightest.

If you could drive 70mph then you'd probably get to your destination 30 seconds quicker, if that. I can see why it is so annoying!

• Admin

Why is 40mph with a defective barrier safe? Single carriage way roads with no barrier have a national speed limit of 60mph, so how is the 40mph figure arrived at, apart from to piss people off. Every single 'road improvement' or decision makes things more congested, bristol is now a terrible place to drive round.

Having previously worked in town, getting around that was much easier than getting around Bradley Stoke! Thankfully there are other routes but the main section of Aztec West is horrendous. I despise the road systems in Bristol, the only city that actively discourages driving in its road network. Other cities are getting rid of their bus lanes ffs.

Is it Bristol's responsibility?

I thought motorways were the responsibility of central government.

It comes under the responsibility of the highways agency. The junction roundabouts of a motorway are a bit of a nightmare to understand who control but usually it's the HWA again

To repair the barrier would be a bit of a nightmare though, at a guess they'd want to replace it with the new longer lasting & less maintenance concrete stuff they've been installing elsewhere. To that purpose they'd have to close a lane either side of the M32 and it'd take 3+ months going by how long it took them to do the 10 mile stretch up at Worcester (about 9 months).  I get the feeling it would be horrific if they went down to one lane. That's my non conspiracy theory anyway.. I do wonder if they just wanted it at 40mph anyway..

Shows how inept we are at this stuff. If it was in Japan, it would be fixed before any of us even knew it was broken.

I don't mind the speed limit there, but it does seem excessive.

The actual issue is law abiders sticking to the 30 / 40 limit, whilst the other c****s drive past you doing 75.

In the words of 'Iceman', it is 'unsafe'.

Properly nawty  :nono:

TFR

Archived