IGNORED

Interview With Stephen Lansdown

Welcome To The Jungle

I have to say, that man has great vision.  Both the football and rugby teams have exceeded my expectations this season.  I am fast becoming used to the idea of 'Bristol Sport'.

I'll always have a primary interest in football at the expense of the other sports but I can now see genuine strength in the alliance of different teams and individuals working together - with benefit for all.

After wrestling away control of the Memorial Ground, Rovers and Bristol Rugby seemed to coexist in a mutually distrusting arrangement.  Nothing good appeared to come from that union as neither wanted the other club occupying the stadium on alternate weekends.  I couldn't blame the rugby club for feeling that they had been mugged in broad daylight.  Even with the income from two teams, nothing positive seemed to come from rugby and football being played on Gloucester Road.

Things have gone well since the summer but I don't see the same sense of resentment from City fans.  The quality of the pitch surface has certainly convinced me that the football club can still operate without adverse consequences from rugby being played at regular intervals.

I have a growing sense of pride for a rugby team that I have never followed.  I want them to succeed this year more than any previous season.

Ashton Gate will be a stadium to be proud of in 18 months time and we can finally feel that our surroundings are suitable for big games in the Championship and maybe even better one day.

Steve Lansdown's vision to bring this all together should be applauded.  At times during the last 10 years, I felt he could walk away with the number of knocks and the amount of aggravation that was directed towards him and his team.  Deeper ties to the wider Bristol sporting community should hopefully convince him that there is enough overall success to stay with us for the long term.

I still think we need another goalkeeper though ;)

I have to say, that man has great vision.  Both the football and rugby teams have exceeded my expectations this season.  I am fast becoming used to the idea of 'Bristol Sport'.

I'll always have a primary interest in football at the expense of the other sports but I can now see genuine strength in the alliance of different teams and individuals working together - with benefit for all.

After wrestling away control of the Memorial Ground, Rovers and Bristol Rugby seemed to coexist in a mutually distrusting arrangement.  Nothing good appeared to come from that union as neither wanted the other club occupying the stadium on alternate weekends.  I couldn't blame the rugby club for feeling that they had been mugged in broad daylight.  Even with the income from two teams, nothing positive seemed to come from rugby and football being played on Gloucester Road.

Things have gone well since the summer but I don't see the same sense of resentment from City fans.  The quality of the pitch surface has certainly convinced me that the football club can still operate without adverse consequences from rugby being played at regular intervals.

I have a growing sense of pride for a rugby team that I have never followed.  I want them to succeed this year more than any previous season.

Ashton Gate will be a stadium to be proud of in 18 months time and we can finally feel that our surroundings are suitable for big games in the Championship and maybe even better one day.

Steve Lansdown's vision to bring this all together should be applauded.  At times during the last 10 years, I felt he could walk away with the number of knocks and the amount of aggravation that was directed towards him and his team.  Deeper ties to the wider Bristol sporting community should hopefully convince him that there is enough overall success to stay with us for the long term.

I still think we need another goalkeeper though ;)

Well said Jon ;)

I wonder what communication there is between the coaching staff and fitness staff at the respective clubs. Dave Brailsford has shown in cycling that looking at techniques from other sports and applying them accordingly can pay dividends. There must be much than can be learned from both sides. It would be nice to think that there are ongoing discussions between them.

I wonder what communication there is between the coaching staff and fitness staff at the respective clubs. Dave Brailsford has shown in cycling that looking at techniques from other sports and applying them accordingly can pay dividends. There must be much than can be learned from both sides. It would be nice to think that there are ongoing discussions between them.

Surely we can think out the box on this one a little.

Can see JET making a great flanker on weeks he is not selected for us, to keep him sharp.

Archived