IGNORED

Doherty Transfer Speculation From Bcfc Site

CiderEagle

Since the season ended we have all heard rumours regarding Tommy leaving. I am, however, very worried about the latest news item on the official site (not counting Elton's dressing room refit which DOES look lovely, I must admit)

Why on earth are the club doing this now? There is no news in the item whatsoever. The only conclusion I can draw is that they are actively seeking clubs to come in and make a bid for him.

I think we're being prepared for the worst here ...

(couldn't find a smiley that fitted "abject resignation")

Guest bristolbred

Can't see Tommy wanting to throw it all away to go to Hollowhead at QPR, as he'll end up like Scotty did at Reading!!!, :sub:

And i can't really see him wanting to leave Ashton Gate!!, being a Bristol lad!!, :ph34r:

:dunno::dunno:

So why are the club marching him up and down wearing a sandwich board with "Buy Me" on it in great big fluorescent letters while singing "Boy For Sale" from the musical "O liver" then?

Hmmm?

(almost as funny - the forum censor changed "O liver" to "Pilchard". For #####'s sake, TomF, this is getting really petty!)

If you read the article it gives Steve's own reaction to the rumours - ie there has been no official approach.

That is why it has been posted on the main site as a news story.

Ed Furniss

Media Editor

If you read the article it gives Steve's own reaction to the rumours - ie there has been no official approach.

That is why it has been posted on the main site as a news story.

Ed Furniss

Media Editor

The same Steve who gave D.W. his vote of confidence whilst negotiating with Tins to take over?

Couldn't give a sh!t about this by the way, but hardly surprising if there is some cynicism towards such comments surely? :dunno:

Ed, first of all thanks for coming on the forum - always appreciated when a club rep takes the time to do this.

That said, I think your protests that the club are merely denying rumours are a little disingeneous. I think many of us are resigned to the man going, to be honest he can play at a higher level and deserves the chance if that's what he wants.

But all we as a club are doing by running this article is fuelling the rumours even further, and making it MORE likely he will leave rather than less. In the current climate some of the amounts I have heard, ie 5 or 6 hundred K, seem absolutely ludicrous to me. Wait until Christmas and Palace or West Brom or whoever is struggling at the bottom of the Premiership will give us a million for him.

Ed, first of all thanks for coming on the forum - always appreciated when a club rep takes the time to do this.

That said, I think your protests that the club are merely denying rumours are a little disingeneous. I think many of us are resigned to the man going, to be honest he can play at a higher level and deserves the chance if that's what he wants.

But all we as a club are doing by running this article is fuelling the rumours even further, and making it MORE likely he will leave rather than less. In the current climate some of the amounts I have heard, ie 5 or 6 hundred K, seem absolutely ludicrous to me. Wait until Christmas and Palace or West Brom or whoever is struggling at the bottom of the Premiership will give us a million for him.

I have always taken the position that the official site is there for fact not fiction.

That said, when transfer rumours involve a key City player, we would prefer supporters and press to go on the official site and get official reaction rather than rely on unsubstianted reports from elsewhere; and from a selfish point of view it also builds up hits, which helps the club financially - the more popular the site is the more money we receive from FLPTV.

In this case we are responding to the rumours (printed in today's WDP, for example) not fuelling them. Steve chose to comment - he may not choose to comment at other times - because he wanted to give the club's position on Tommy Doc as it currently stands. Nothing more, nothing less.

We are certainly not softening up fans for any impending departure, unless you know something we don't!

Guest jesser

they must be really desperate for cash - as doherty is one of the fans favorites and hes player of the year, why else would they want to sell him?

The same Steve who gave D.W. his vote of confidence whilst negotiating with Tins to take over?

Sorry Neo, but you have been misinformed and I think it's only fair to set the record straight before this rumour becomes one of those things that becomes accepted as fact.

Any negotiations between Steve L and Tins took place after Danny had left. There were no secret conversations, no tapping up, no nods or winks, no agreement or understanding of any sort whatsoever.

The board decided to let Danny go, then approached Tins. In that order. Tins had no idea that DW was about to be sacked, and no idea that he was to be interviewed for the job until late on the Friday night.

This is not rumour or speculation. Those are the facts.

Archived