IGNORED

Part Time Supporters Nonsense

tinmansboots

Sorry guys need to get this off my chest.

Why is it that some people on this forum have the right to deem others as part time supporters. I have followed City for the best part of 40 years. I have travelled to all four corners of our green and pleasent land and spent thousands of pounds doing so. I've done this because I love City.

Recently due to financial constraints, family commitments and just general time management issues, I haven't been able to go to as many games as I'd like to. Does that make me any less of a supporter.

If we get to the JPT final, yes I will be there. It might be the only game I see this season, but I will move heaven and earth to be there. I was there in 86 and it was an incredibly proud moment to see my team walk out at Wembley. For a club like ours it was something i didn't think I would ever see. If this competition has done anything it has given clubs like ours the opprtunity to experience these kind of days.

If as a club we average 15000 fans at home, do these fans who deem people like me as a part timer and look down their noses at us, think it's the same people every week that turn up. I would guess that over a season maybe 25000 to 30000 different people attend games. Would these people sooner see 15000 fans sat behind the goal at Wembley all puffing their chests out saying we are the real fans.

Don't get me wrong, I admire and respect the people that are able to go every week, home and away, but please give a thought to those of us that can't and give us a little bit of respect for the hard miles we have put in over the years.

Thanks for reading, I feel a little bit better now!

Sorry guys need to get this off my chest.

Why is it that some people on this forum have the right to deem others as part time supporters. I have followed City for the best part of 40 years. I have travelled to all four corners of our green and pleasent land and spent thousands of pounds doing so. I've done this because I love City.

Recently due to financial constraints, family commitments and just general time management issues, I haven't been able to go to as many games as I'd like to. Does that make me any less of a supporter.

If we get to the JPT final, yes I will be there. It might be the only game I see this season, but I will move heaven and earth to be there. I was there in 86 and it was an incredibly proud moment to see my team walk out at Wembley. For a club like ours it was something i didn't think I would ever see. If this competition has done anything it has given clubs like ours the opprtunity to experience these kind of days.

If as a club we average 15000 fans at home, do these fans who deem people like me as a part timer and look down their noses at us, think it's the same people every week that turn up. I would guess that over a season maybe 25000 to 30000 different people attend games. Would these people sooner see 15000 fans sat behind the goal at Wembley all puffing their chests out saying we are the real fans.

Don't get me wrong, I admire and respect the people that are able to go every week, home and away, but please give a thought to those of us that can't and give us a little bit of respect for the hard miles we have put in over the years.

Thanks for reading, I feel a little bit better now!

part timer

• Admin

I'm not sure that the phrase "part timer" would be aimed at you, so not sure why you should be concerned??

The expression in my opinion is for the person that only comes out of the woodwork for "showpiece" fixtures, eg Rovers, big cup ties, finals and never goes again, never has and never will - of course unless we ever get to the Premier League

If circumtances (kids,work,money etc) prevent you from going to see the team you love then you are not a part timer. If you are a fan of a premiership team as well as city and only turn up for our big games then you are in my opinion, a part timer. I knew about 10 of these types of fans who went to the Hull game at Wembley. Have tried to get them to come to a game at the gate but they're never interested. They'll be at Wembley if we get there again this season though.

I read a post by a regular contributor that claimed we had 20000 part time supporters that would turn up if we get there. Not sure who that was aimed at then.

I'm a part timer because I don't go to every game, I struggle with the evening games (although not this season) due to work. and I'm a season ticket holder,

It just a insult some use, I wouldn't worry about it,

My dad has been a city fan a lot longer then me but he doesn't go and only goes to the big games because thats what he does because he was so upset when we broke up turner and taylor,

many reasons really its best just to ignore it,

To me you don't have to attend matches to be a fan, but you have to take an interest in the club. I'm sure most of us have had to take time away at some stages of our lives though financial, family or work commitments. I'm sure if these reasons weren't a factor we would all be attending every home and away match, but life for most doesn't work like that.

There are many exiles on here who haven't seen a match at Ashton Gate for years but they are on the forum, checking results and getting up at in the middle of the night to listen. I don't see them as a lesser part time fan, infact they are much the opposite.

I think the part time label should be reserved for people who just want a Wembley or premiership day out. Fans that can't name a single player or the manager. Fans that have no idea about our last results, where we are in the league. Fans that once the glory match is over will have no interest in us in the future. Glory hunters, that's them.

I'm a part timer because I don't go to every game, I struggle with the evening games (although not this season) due to work. and I'm a season ticket holder,

It just a insult some use, I wouldn't worry about it,

My dad has been a city fan a lot longer then me but he doesn't go and only goes to the big games because thats what he does because he was so upset when we broke up turner and taylor,

many reasons really its best just to ignore it,

I wouldn't want to piss Mr Monkeh Sr off, that man knows how to hold a grudge!

I read a post by a regular contributor that claimed we had 20000 part time supporters that would turn up if we get there. Not sure who that was aimed at then.

I am fairly certain it wasnt aimeda t you....however its no secret that, if we get to Wembley...like we did against Hull, we could take upwards of 40k

Now...considering if we had full capacity, I think we would be getting about 15k a week now...that leaves 25k.

There is no way all 25k of that support "cant afford it".  People have work and family commitments, again this cannot be helped.  Lets be honest though....I bet there is a huge amount whose last City game, was v Hull at Wembley, and it has nothing to do with finacnial contraints or family commitments....its because they only come out for the "day out" games.  This...is a part timer

Someone in your position, certainly does not make you a part time fan in my eyes, and I am fairly certain in the eyes of anyone else with half a brain

Great OP, I totally agree with it.

The worst example i've seen of a 'glory hunting part timer' (whatever you want to call it) was in the not so dim and distant past when we reached the play offs, one of our several doomed to failure attempts to go up in this way! Tickets went on sale and there were loads of us queuing for tickets at the Gate when a guy a few in front of me glanced up at the Dolman Stand and said to his mate: 'Wow, that's a nice stand! Has that been there long?' - I kid you not, and he was in front of me in the queue!

If he'd got a ticket and I hadn't there would have been ructions!

I read a post by a regular contributor that claimed we had 20000 part time supporters that would turn up if we get there. Not sure who that was aimed at then.

I think this is aimed at me, a guy who has been about 3 times this season, probably 5-6 last and the same the year before. I think my point has been taken out of context. im talking about those who don't class themselves as city fans when we're bottom but all of a sudden are life long fans when we hit Wembley. I'm in no position to question anyone's loyalty on games attended.

Just for clarity....if someone is an eastender/singing section member/firm lieutenant/coach one user and then misses an away fixture to Little Snoring On Sea on a wet Tuesday night in the Joe Scrote Cup because for example they are in police custody, would they be badged as a part timer and be banned from going to Wembley?

Just for clarity....if someone is an eastender/singing section member/firm lieutenant/coach one user and then misses an away fixture to Little Snoring On Sea on a wet Tuesday night in the Joe Scrote Cup because for example they are in police custody, would they be badged as a part timer and be banned from going to Wembley?

unless the were underpants over their trousers and have a cape and SF (Super Fan) on their chest,

in fact I might do that tomorrow :)

• Admin

Only OTIB could have an argument about supporters saying they are unlikely to bother going to a game that as yet, we don't have in the calendar.

Don't you know we are there already !!

I remember the same confidence before we lost to Cambridge over two legs not too long ago - that night they had their first away win of the season !

Don't you know we are there already !!

I remember the same confidence before we lost to Cambridge over two legs not too long ago - that night they had their first away win of the season !

and you know what will happen if we don't make it, it will be the very same people moaning about losing to gillingham and how we should be beating teams like them

Amid all other commitments, if we were top of the Championship, you would magically find the money to attend. 

The fact we're L1 means people can't quite be assed to make the sacrifice to come. 

Fair enough though, but don't make it out like that isn't the case. Just admit it. 

I have a ST and attend as and when, and that is my right. 

Never would I call anyone a Part timer maliciously , I know full well their are people who can't make it all the time and that we have different people there EveryWeek most games .. I may do them all BUT you sir are no less of a fan than the rest of us, we all share the love for our city and people show it in different ways. My honest opinion is that and no matter who they are if they're are a red and go once a year or a red and go 50+ we share the same bond. And we march on together on days like this

Amid all other commitments, if we were top of the Championship, you would magically find the money to attend. 

The fact we're L1 means people can't quite be assed to make the sacrifice to come. 

Fair enough though, but don't make it out like that isn't the case. Just admit it. 

I have a ST and attend as and when, and that is my right. 

I'm sorry, that is complete and utter bollocks

I'm divorced, and have two girls from that marriage. You want to know what I pay my ex wife each month? That takes a lot of things that people take for granted out the equation for people like me

Costs me a ******* fortune. The weekends I get to see my two girls nothing, and I mean nothing gets in the way of me seeing them. Family > City

I've done my time travelling all around the country and rarely missing home games. If I could afford it, time and money, it wouldn't matter what league we are in, I'd be there. And as my girls get older and don't want to hang around so much and do their own thing then I'll be back, no matter what league we're in

Is that fair enough for you?

Archived