IGNORED

No Railway Station For Ashton Gate

Rudolf Hucker

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-30488510

MetroWest upgrade to the Portishead to Bristol route to ignore the building of a station at Ashton Gate because the business case is not sufficient to justify it at this stage.

Yet another snub from the authorities it would seem.

The building of such a facility at Ashton Gate would surely service thousands of customers attending football and rugby matches each week for nine months of the year, significantly reducing road traffic and parking problems in the area. I for one, and my family would use it.

Does Europe's Green Capital not take the needs of sports supporters into account? Public amenities such as this have to be a partnership - transport authorities build a facility which enable Bristol Sport to find more uses for the stadium - conferences, concerts, events - generating more visitors to the city needing hotels, restaurants etc.

Is there zero foresight in our governing bodies? I was once told to never ask a question unless you know the answer. To this question, I know the answer.

If the business case doesn't work, then make it work. Surely it has more substance than many other stations which will be built or upgraded to support this venture?

Bit annoying but no reason why this won't be an option in the future.

The railway is re-opening, that is the most important thing. If we get to the point where we are getting huge crowds and are in desperate need of an improved rail link then I'm sure it will happen.

I can understand why it has been ruled out for now.

Shelved so that more money can be pumped into the awful metrobus. Given the platform and walkways still remain from the station that closed in 1964 really how much would it cost to include in the plans? I would have been able to use it for work and match day. Deeply disappointed.

Bit annoying but no reason why this won't be an option in the future.

The railway is re-opening, that is the most important thing. If we get to the point where we are getting huge crowds and are in desperate need of an improved rail link then I'm sure it will happen.

I can understand why it has been ruled out for now.

I can't!

Cancel the metrobus, reopen the Wapping Wharf branch and reopen Ashton Gate Halt. Simple, but clearly not to the taste of Red Trousers and his merry crew.

The biggest fuck up of all was to remove the track from BTM, under St Mary Refcliffe and through to the MShed. It would have been a MUCH better route for the Portishead line to take - could have had a spur loop going to the centre from the MShed as well. Could have had stops at MShed, Create Centre, Ashton Gate, Pill, Portishead. Hell you could even reinstate the old port and pier line on portway and join that up to offer an alternative route for Severn beach line. Of course this all makes far to much sense to be carried out.

To be fair to Mayor Ferguson, both he and all of the political parties in Bristol are 100% behind a station at Ashton. The two main issues are making a business case for a station fhat will meet Network Rail's strict criteria for a new station and accessing central government funding to pay for it. There are more details in the q and a forum.

To be fair to Mayor Ferguson, both he and all of the political parties in Bristol are 100% behind a station at Ashton. The two main issues are making a business case for a station fhat will meet Network Rail's strict criteria for a new station and accessing central government funding to pay for it. There are more details in the q and a forum.

"to be fair to mayor Ferguson"? puck that. And that's the swear pilter working there I can assure you

Not overly surprised, to justify regular usage 7 days a week is nion impossible. Parson Street up the road struggles to get many customers, can't believe another station so close could be justified

A lot more people work in the vicinity of AG than PS I'd say.   Is there an argument for a station that is only open at certain days/times.. guess the cost would still be the same.

• Admin

A lot more people work in the vicinity of AG than PS I'd say. Is there an argument for a station that is only open at certain days/times.. guess the cost would still be the same.

Will take your word on that, but the important difference is those that those using Parson Street are commuting out of the area and not into it. Cant see how an additional station could be cost effective

What would be nice is if the club liaised with FGW and got a decent service to parson Street in the short term first

Tomarse can use his powers, when he's upset. Wish we all could!

Please don't start, there are people in the building who still believe I actively peddled a hate campaign against him, threatened him and got everyone to boycott his establishment.

Unfortunately when everything has to have a business case many developments fall at the first hurdle.

It's often very different in mainland Europe. Far more visionary people. A bit like our Victorian forefathers.

Guess this means market research which someone other than B.C.Council may have to stump up in order to provide a business case. If say 2500 regular stadium users come from Pill, Portishead and express a wish for this then they would listen. I for one live 3mins away from Redland St and would get the rattler two AG and back especially on night games. I am sure many from Shire, Sea Mills et al would use it to.

Imagine if Brunel had needed a business case for the construction of the Suspension Bridge.

"No Isambard, it'll take take years to build, cost loads and just link Clifton with a bit of countryside on the other side of the Avon Gorge".

150 years still going strong, pays for itself and hugely popular

Students and staff at Bower Ashton would use the station as well as visitors to Ashton Court

Yup, I was going to add that it would be perfect for Ashton Court when it holds big events like the Balloon Fiesta and perhaps more concerts and events like it did in the past.

It's very frustrating that half of the infrastructure is already in place, so it's not a new project as such. Yes it was closed years ago but look how Bristol and it's people have changed. The traffic and people's work/life style is hardly recognisable from back then.

From what I know many households had only one person working, one breadwinner. People worked 9-5 on the whole, had one car in the household if they were lucky, hell even the shops didn't open on a Sunday and nearly all closed for a half day on a Wednesday. When the railway line was closed it was a very different world.

Not overly surprised, to justify regular usage 7 days a week is nion impossible. Parson Street up the road struggles to get many customers, can't believe another station so close could be justified

Parson St is very well used station since more trains stop there the passengers numbers as grown,so you are just plain wrong to suggest Parson Street is struggling for passengers (not customers).

What you also to keep in mind is that the Ashton gate station is on a new line and in a different location. People from Portishead and Pill will now be able to use this station. There are a lot of businesses in Ashton gate who employees could use the station daily plus pupils who go to Ashton Park school which have a large catchment area across Bedminster. If you lived in Windmill Hill you could hope on Bedminster station and get to Ashton Gate station if you a pupil at the school.

The redeveloped Ashton Gate will have conference facilities during the week which mean people from across the region and beyond will need to get to Ashton Gate.

Ashton Court is a major recreational park used by thousands which also host major events the station would also carry these people.

Football and Rugby week in week out for 9 10 months of the year as well as rick concerts etc at Ashton Gate.

To say it won't be used and Parson street us under used is quite frankly nonsense.

Build and they will come.

Also forgot to mention uwe based at Bower Ashton . A student who lives in Redland will be able to get on the train at Redland straight thru to Ashton Gate. You see it not just about One station is about joining all the areas and facilities up using the network.

Archived