IGNORED

Ashton Vale - What's Next?

B-Rizzle

Doesn't have to be abandoned does it? Premier League football club in own new stadium, Premier League rugby club ground sharing with Premier League Womens' Football club at AG.

...and by then, our official 'feeder' club, playing in quarters...

I am sure he has various thoughts to get something out of it, but to to build one ground...then build another would be extravagent in the extreme.

Maybe part of the equation but also a major factor would be that he got early nod and wink from Sainsburys that they were not wanting to build any new superstores because their business sector is changing so much.

Hence redevelop The Gate.

Very interesting comment about Sainsburys. Nobody has raised this before but it could be a major factor in the decision making process.

Maybe part of the equation but also a major factor would be that he got early nod and wink from Sainsburys that they were not wanting to build any new superstores because their business sector is changing so much.

Indeed. Had forgotten that aspect. And, of course, moving in higher financial circles than Higgs, SL would know about these things.

Very interesting comment about Sainsburys. Nobody has raised this before but it could be a major factor in the decision making process.

It wasn't going to be a "new" store though, it was going to be a replacement.

I thought it had already been publicised that AV was going to be developed as a sporting academy?

Based upon the increase in SL's net worth on a year-on-year basis and the fact that Bristol Sport is growing, I would not rule it out!

The super rich have nothing to do but spend money in some kind of philanthropic way, there are many examples of this! SL wants Prem Football and the redevelopment of AG was the only option left for the short and medium term!!

My instinct is when the current rebuild is over SL will take a look at what he can do at AV seriously. I suspect there will be an element of recouping money, but I suspect also that there will be an element of possible future development (even if that means future redevelopment of anything that gets built now)

Blokes like SL do not just walk away from a loss, they find another way to win!

Agee about him finding a way to win and take on board your point about his growing wealth. However, SL is still a business man and regardless of how rich he is I don't believe he'll just throw money at something. That's why I dint think there's any notion from him and the board that they still might build at stadium at ashton vale one day. After spending so much on ashton gate (almost doubling the amount he's historically invested in city) I can't see him doing the same again at ashton vale only to have two big stadiums. It's just not practical or financially sound.

It will be about other uses and as I suggested/questioned earlier in this thread, does it not make sense to use the land for the furthering of bristol sport. I.e small stadium for women's team/ BCFC academy and training pitches and indoor arena/facility for bristol flyers.

A headquarters for the academy with pitches and a small stadium to share with the women's team would be my guess and maybe a home for the basketball team.

The deal between the City council, the Nimby's and Bristol Sport is that a Sports Academy is to be built on the land where the stadium was to have been sited and the other half of the land will remain untouched.

So it is almost certain that there will be an indoor arena for the Flyers and a football stadium for Women's Academy.

Thus, as I have previously posted, that will lead the way for a full blown football stadium in the future, if needed.

Also, if sainsburys did want to relocate as before. Then they would pay for the Ashton gate site and all money spent on it could be recouped.

That means just paying out on Ashton vale build.

Sounds far fetched, but a possibility I guess. Depends how much sl wants the club to develop or progress.

Also any other work at Ashton gate would cost a fortune for would have to buy houses behind atyeo etc. if want to increase capacity for the atyeo.

Lansdown hasn't actually had a great 2014, at least financially.

I'm sure he has his fingers in an increasingly broad and burgeoning set of pies, but HL's shares have fallen sharply of late, no doubt lopping off 10's of millions of pounds from his dough.

Hopefully he'll bounce back though.

Also, if sainsburys did want to relocate as before. Then they would pay for the Ashton gate site and all money spent on it could be recouped.

That means just paying out on Ashton vale build.

Sounds far fetched, but a possibility I guess. Depends how much sl wants the club to develop or progress.

Also any other work at Ashton gate would cost a fortune for would have to buy houses behind atyeo etc. if want to increase capacity for the atyeo.

It sounds far fetched because it is far fetched. What would we gain by moving to a new stadium at ashton vale now? In a newly redeveloped ashton gate we have the infrastructure and corporate facilities that we so desperately needed. The only thing I can think of that we might need in the future that AG can't provide is a greater seating capacity. That, however, will only be the case if we are regularly selling out ashton gate. I can only see that happening if we were playing in Europe (long way off!). Even then, there may be other opportunities to expand Ashton gate as have been discussed before (some of which I accept are far fetched themselves).

What your saying is that it's possible we'll spend all this money on AG only to sell it to be demolished and turned into something different and then build a whole brand new stadium at Ashton vale just to get a few thousand more seats. It's financially and environmentally foolish and I can't see that being a serious option for us.

IMO Ashton Gate will be our home for substantial time now. That decision was made when Ashton Vale fell through.

It sounds far fetched because it is far fetched. What would we gain by moving to a new stadium at ashton vale now? In a newly redeveloped ashton gate we have the infrastructure and corporate facilities that we so desperately needed. The only thing I can think of that we might need in the future that AG can't provide is a greater seating capacity. That, however, will only be the case if we are regularly selling out ashton gate. I can only see that happening if we were playing in Europe (long way off!). Even then, there may be other opportunities to expand Ashton gate as have been discussed before (some of which I accept are far fetched themselves).

What your saying is that it's possible we'll spend all this money on AG only to sell it to be demolished and turned into something different and then build a whole brand new stadium at Ashton vale just to get a few thousand more seats. It's financially and environmentally foolish and I can't see that being a serious option for us.

IMO Ashton Gate will be our home for substantial time now. That decision was made when Ashton Vale fell through.

I know its far fetched, but if you were sl and still had the land, you would be looking at all possibilities.

I think the rebuild will be our level for quite some time, just playing devils advocate with ideas and as said it must be used for something eventually.

I know its far fetched, but if you were sl and still had the land, you would be looking at all possibilities.

I think the rebuild will be our level for quite some time, just playing devils advocate with ideas and as said it must be used for something eventually.

Fair enough.

But if I was SL I wouldn't build something only to potentially knock it down in a few years because I think that's stupid. At the same time I wouldn't just 'sit' on the land at Ashton vale either just in case it's needed for a stadium in the future. I would develop that land now to further Bristol Sport in some way whether it be academy pitches, basketball facilities etc. I'd do it now. As cynic said, it couldn't have worked out better really having that land a stones throw from the home of BCFC and bristol rugby. It has to be used to bring the women's team and the flyers closer to the other teams.

Fair points but I don't believe that commercial difference between ashton gate and ashton vake stadiums is significant enough to warrant building there still.

The point was the existing ashton gate was nowhere near suitable commercially for us. With a redeveloped ashton gate, although it might not be quite to the same level that Ashton vale would, still provides us with those revenue streams.

I genuinely don't see any chance that we'll build a stadium at Ashton vake in the future, especially as bristol sport has a need for that land.

Agee about him finding a way to win and take on board your point about his growing wealth. However, SL is still a business man and regardless of how rich he is I don't believe he'll just throw money at something. That's why I dint think there's any notion from him and the board that they still might build at stadium at ashton vale one day. After spending so much on ashton gate (almost doubling the amount he's historically invested in city) I can't see him doing the same again at ashton vale only to have two big stadiums. It's just not practical or financially sound.

It will be about other uses and as I suggested/questioned earlier in this thread, does it not make sense to use the land for the furthering of bristol sport. I.e small stadium for women's team/ BCFC academy and training pitches and indoor arena/facility for bristol flyers.

I don't believe he will throw money at something for no reason. However he is here and wants Premier League football badly. If the club and Bristol Sport take off (Lets face it his other business has not done bad) the option could be still there if the right work is done now.

Of course two stadiums is not practical and the 'use' of AG will be changed....Sainsbury did get permission did they not (it could be anything not just limited to shopping)...Other Sports facilities perhaps!!

I take on board your comment about what could go in at AV and we will see, but this would be a prime example of something that could have its use changed down the line perhaps. Only the long-tern will tell and the club needs success in the medium-term but don't rule out AV in the longer term and SL's ability to have that option for the future!

Archived