IGNORED

Keith Millen Premier League Manager

allyolly

Wonder if those who wanted Colin at Ashton Gate still think that would have been a good idea? Can't stand the bloke personally. Definitely had his day.

I did and do yeah. Two very different jobs.

That said, my expectations were nowhere near as high as SC has thus far delivered.

most of them are the ones that didnt want cotts :facepalm:  :facepalm:

I didn't want Warnock. Can't stand the bloke and think he would be a short term appointment that - potentially - would have turned it around but certainly had no future which would have resulted in further shake up in the squad. Funnily enough, I was one of the biggest critics of Cotts before he started, and boy am I glad I was wrong. Had huge amounts of humble pie this Christmas on reflection of what I said this time last year. Hoping Cotts continues to prove me wrong and stays with us for a long time.

Was always open to Cotts turning me round because he's likeable. But Warnock? No chance. Not for me at all. 

Good luck to Keith,

Great servant to our club as player, coach, assistant manager, caretaker/permanent manager. Treated poorly by the board, let down big time by the players towards the end (Blackpool away anyone?) and the dog abuse he got from some fans was absolutely appalling.. still kept his dignity like the true gent he is.

An all round good guy, hope he puts his name in the hat for the job at Palarse.

most of them are the ones that didnt want cotts :facepalm:  :facepalm:

I don't know about anyone else, but I didn't want either. I put my hand up to being wrong about Cotts, because I didn't know enough about him.

I still think I was right about Colin, because I know quite enough about him, thank you.

I don't know about anyone else, but I didn't want either. I put my hand up to being wrong about Cotts, because I didn't know enough about him.

I still think I was right about Colin, because I know quite enough about him, thank you.

You were against his appointment because you didn't know enough about him! Needs an explanation Mr Aizoon.

You were against his appointment because you didn't know enough about him! Needs an explanation Mr Aizoon.

Happy to give one, although many won't like it.

The Cotterites all told me he was an arm-waving shouty manager who believed in direct (i.e. up-and-under) football. The first two were true but the third was out by several light years. We have played lovely football under Cotterill, aided by the passing skills that O'Driscoll instilled in the squad.

There - now I've upset everybody :noexp:

The Cotterites all told me he was an arm-waving shouty manager who believed in direct (i.e. up-and-under) football. The first two were true but the third was out by several light years. We have played lovely football under Cotterill, aided by the passing skills that O'Driscoll instilled in the squad.

Now you've done it, you've mentioned SOD ;)

Thank you.

I did and do yeah. Two very different jobs.

That said, my expectations were nowhere near as high as SC has thus far delivered.

Expectations. At the time of SoD's dismissal, the desire, even necessity, was for a manager who could avoid relegation. Colin would have been my choice and, most certainly, would have been preferred to SC.

Due to SC's sterling work, however, my expectations have now changed, and I don't think Colin would be able to achieve them as well as SC.

Is this not partly the cause of GJ's current problems at Yeovil?

Millen seems to do ok with a squad that isn't his; in order to make a step from Coach/Assistant to Manager he would need the guidance of a very good scouting network and someone to bring players in. He might not want that hassle and could be quite content as a number 2

What is his catetaker record like? Can't be too shabby

Yep I wanted Mr Warnock - seven promotions on his CV.

Can't knock that?

Still think we may see him here one day with him having his holiday home in Cornwall etc.

I'd hope not.  I imagine this is it for NW and management.  He'd already retired being tempted back to the Premier League and he must surely be as aware as anyone that  he's failed to make an impact in his last two jobs and was painfully out of his depth after he came up with QPR.  You can't knock his record prior to that but, if the adage is managers are only as good as their last results, we're talking getting on for four years of since the results were any way decent.  Obviously it's not impossible that he might get the right job and prove that he can still get results but he's in absolutely no sense the safe bet for improvement he once was and I personally wouldn't want him, and think it might be time for him to retire with dignity whilst his previous record is still intact.

Even in his prime, the Tevez saga overshadowed the fact that Sheff United let a 10 point gap get overhauled in the last few weeks of the season when they could and should have been home and dry.  He's a great motivator but technical and tactical standards have improved in the Championship, League One and indeed the bottom half of the Premiership.  Being a great motivator is no longer enough on its own and I just don't think Warnock has shown the ability to adapt tactically to the changes in the modern game.

Millen seems to do ok with a squad that isn't his; in order to make a step from Coach/Assistant to Manager he would need the guidance of a very good scouting network and someone to bring players in. He might not want that hassle and could be quite content as a number 2

Working under the likes of Skeletor, Pulis and Uncle Colin would develop a mental toughness to deal with the squad.

Being a great motivator is no longer enough on its own and I just don't think Warnock has shown the ability to adapt tactically to the changes in the modern game.

Which is precisely why I (wrongly) thought that SC was the wrong man for the job at AG.

P7

W2

D1

L4

One of those losses was Arsenal away where they played very well under Millen.

Archived