IGNORED

Comparison With The Class Of 2006/07

Kid in the Riot

At the halfway point in the 2006/07 season we were in third place on 41 pts behind Nottingham Forest (44 pts) and S****horpe (42 pts).

A little depressing to see Swansea City were in fifth place on 36 pts!

So we're 7 pts better off than that season, which is quite a difference. However ourselves, Swindle and Preston all have more points than Forest did at that point in the 2006/07 season so maybe we'll need more than the 85 pts we were promoted with in 2007 come the seasons end (actually 84 pts would've done)?

Well, last season after 23 games the table stood 1. Brentford (49 pts) 2. Leyton Orient (48 pts) 3. Wolves (48 pts)

But in the end 87 points was enough for second place, though Brentford in second finished with 94 pts.

Although it's a pain in the arse Swindle seem to keep winning and Preston and MK are still hot on our heels, sides are bound to drop away.

40 points from the second half of the season (1.73 points pg) will likely see us go up automatically on 88 points.

As demonstrated again today we have an excellent SQUAD this season which is why we won't do an Orient IMO as they had a very good first XI that had a great first 25 games of the season before fading badly when injuries took their toll.

I know teams around us will be thinking the same but it really is there for us and if we retain our consistency over the second half of the season we will be promoted automatically.

I have a feeling it will be harder to get automatic promotion this season, can't see MK and Preston falling away that much, Swindon will depend how their January goes and could stay in the hunt.

I agree, there appears to be 4 very good teams in League One which is kinda annoying. Would be ideal if there was just two - us and one other!

Forest capitulated under the pressure in the final month or two and Blackpool came on like a train and were actually in with a shot of winning auto promotion on the last day as I recall.

One things for sure 2 from the current top 4 are going to be very disappointed come May...

I think Preston will fade away, they seem to scrap 1-0 or 1-1 very often, they are also without Garner for the majority of the season.

I just can't see Swindon dropping off, all depends on January for them IMO.

As for MK, arguably the best free scoring side in the league, could obliterate anybody on their day.

For City I should think we will make the autos, we have quality in the whole squad and a manager who has a never say die attitude. He's made us a stern side and one hard to break down!

City and MK for me.

For me it's all about the January window now.

We probably have the leagues best player in Freeman and Ayling who looks like becoming a cult hero, Williams seem very accomplished considering his age and Flint just seems to improve with every game, Smith seems like an inspired signing, as does Wilbraham, with Fielding also improving and Bryan becoming a player we hoped he might and now some from the bench proving their worth, things to me are looking good and the spirit which is always worth a point or three is something that has been missing at BCFC for probably 5 years.

Two or three quality January signings should hopefully see us over the line and that is the point quality ready hopefully for the championship.

When you look at virtually all of the stats in our division, we are the best and that is why we are top of the league, I don't personally agree with the assessment of our 3 main rivals, if Swindle decide to keep hold of their best players and fail to gain promotion another administration beckons IMO, so they have one huge decision to make and MK Dons and Preston are prone to bad results as we know.

We need at least another front man; this is common and clear knowledge.

Even with Smith suddenly hitting form, he's only got a short time left on his deal, and with Agard and JET notching a grand total of five goals between them since the start of October, that has to be an area we look to add depth, and ideally some proven quality.

If Preston can find and bring in players like Beckford, I refuse to believe there aren't decent strikers needing opportunities out there. Who is not making QPR's team just now? We know SC retains links with them; perhaps they've someone unlikely to shift Austin, Zemora and the like who might fancy a shot at helping us out?

In addition to that; if Kane ends up looking like he can being something to the centre of midfield, and we have both him and Wagstaff capable of that AND playing right wingback, then I'd maybe say midfield/full back is okay for now.

But that said; I do think that unless JET is realistically looked upon as an understudy to Freeman (for my money has been best in that role this year) then another a central attack minded player would also be helpful.

Problem is how rare players like that are, and I'd also say that looking above us for some uncut youth gem who is not quite ready for a Premier/Championship squad place, but aching to get game time may be the answer.

We need at least another front man; this is common and clear knowledge.

Even with Smith suddenly hitting form, he's only got a short time left on his deal, and with Agard and JET notching a grand total of five goals between them since the start of October, that has to be an area we look to add depth, and ideally some proven quality.

If Preston can find and bring in players like Beckford, I refuse to believe there aren't decent strikers needing opportunities out there. Who is not making QPR's team just now? We know SC retains links with them; perhaps they've someone unlikely to shift Austin, Zemora and the like who might fancy a shot at helping us out?

In addition to that; if Kane ends up looking like he can being something to the centre of midfield, and we have both him and Wagstaff capable of that AND playing right wingback, then I'd maybe say midfield/full back is okay for now.

But that said; I do think that unless JET is realistically looked upon as an understudy to Freeman (for my money has been best in that role this year) then another a central attack minded player would also be helpful.

Problem is how rare players like that are, and I'd also say that looking above us for some uncut youth gem who is not quite ready for a Premier/Championship squad place, but aching to get game time may be the answer.

Signing players like Beckford IMO, would be like going back to to the bad old days of having to pay out over blown wages for players who only turn up when they feel like it, keep doing what we are doing and that is buying the best quality players the 1st and even 2nd division has to offer, hungry, less in fees and far less in wages and also easier to get rid of because their wages aren't so high.

Just to add to this discussion, it has been mentioned by many a bitter manager and chairman in our league about our spending power compared to theirs. Well I have to say I would be amazed if our wage bill was anywhere near that of Preston's, they not only have an ageing squad, but also a host of ex championship players plus Kilkenny, Davies, Beckford, Garner and Gallagher all on a huge wedge, they have the sort of squad that we have been trying hard to get away from for over 5 years, again I suspect not gaining promotion might see them in severe financial trouble, it certainly does not appear sustainable to me.

Signing players like Beckford IMO, would be like going back to to the bad old days of having to pay out over blown wages for players who only turn up when they feel like it, keep doing what we are doing and that is buying the best quality players the 1st and even 2nd division has to offer, hungry, less in fees and far less in wages and also easier to get rid of because their wages aren't so high.

I'd certainly prefer (& expect, based on the club's approach this season) to see us target younger, rising players and not 'Old Dogs' like Beckford, don't get me wrong.

However, I meant more in terms of his pedigree; he had a goal every three games record for Bolton in the Championship last year, so age and wage aside, he's not a terrible player.

I guess my sentiment was more that I can't believe there are not talented individuals at clubs above us who right now cannot get a game, but have solid records at goal scoring (either in league one or higher) and we could feasibly get.

Ironically, Matt Smith would have been the sort of player I'd have suggested, were he not already here; a goal around every three games for Leeds last season in the Championship, in/not yet at his prime at 25, and not getting game time at his club.

If he continues to improve (and score), and we retain him longer, Smith could prove very useful, but reckon there may be one or two others in similar circumstances.

And my only worry about Doyle is that he's probably going to be the most expensive he'll ever be right now, and though he's already had an immense season, nothing before now suggests this will be replicated, with his next highest total something like 12 goals in a season in the SPL, where others we've bought prior notched for fun, yet struggled here.

Obviously would be a big coup to get the lad, mind you.

I'd certainly prefer (& expect, based on the club's approach this season) to see us target younger, rising players and not 'Old Dogs' like Beckford, don't get me wrong.

However, I meant more in terms of his pedigree; he had a goal every three games record for Bolton in the Championship last year, so age and wage aside, he's not a terrible player.

I guess my sentiment was more that I can't believe there are not talented individuals at clubs above us who right now cannot get a game, but have solid records at goal scoring (either in league one or higher) and we could feasibly get.

Ironically, Matt Smith would have been the sort of player I'd have suggested, were he not already here; a goal around every three games for Leeds last season in the Championship, in/not yet at his prime at 25, and not getting game time at his club.

If he continues to improve (and score), and we retain him longer, Smith could prove very useful, but reckon there may be one or two others in similar circumstances.

And my only worry about Doyle is that he's probably going to be the most expensive he'll ever be right now, and though he's already had an immense season, nothing before now suggests this will be replicated, with his next highest total something like 12 goals in a season in the SPL, where others we've bought prior notched for fun, yet struggled here.

Obviously would be a big coup to get the lad, mind you.

Doyle signed a one year extension in August, taking him to June 2016 and usually a 1 year contracts end up heavily in favour of the player, he would almost certainly have a get out clause and one that favours him and if rumours are correct City may have already triggered that clause, we have to wait and see.

Sears has not signed a contract with Colchester and his contract expires this summer both I would hazard are possible and fit the profile.

Doyle signed a one year extension in August, taking him to June 2016 and usually a 1 year contracts end up heavily in favour of the player, he would almost certainly have a get out clause and one that favours him and if rumours are correct City may have already triggered that clause, we have to wait and see.

Sears has not signed a contract with Colchester and his contract expires this summer both I would hazard are possible and fit the profile.

I certainty hope you're right if we are pursuing either; would be both excellent for us, and likely gutting for Chesterfield were we to nab one of the most prolific strikers in the country for a song.

My only worry is that he'd be 27 in March and before this incredible season, his pervious best was 11 at league two level, though admittedly that was last year, so maybe his game is improving.

But as I say; was he to come here, I would be delighted, and he'd represent both a statement of intent and a bit of a coup, no doubt about it.

I think Preston will fade away, they seem to scrap 1-0 or 1-1 very often, they are also without Garner for the majority of the season.

I just can't see Swindon dropping off, all depends on January for them IMO.

As for MK, arguably the best free scoring side in the league, could obliterate anybody on their day.

For City I should think we will make the autos, we have quality in the whole squad and a manager who has a never say die attitude. He's made us a stern side and one hard to break down!

City and MK for me.

It is very difficult to "guess" what the outcome will be at the end of the season. In addition to the four clubs mentioned above, the one that nobody should ignore is Sheffield United.

In terms of current support, the biggest in this league and therefore with the financial ability under SCMP rules to recruit during January. They proved last season, as we did to a lesser extent, how quickly a team can climb the table with four or five wins on the bounce.

All that I will predict now is to restate what I did in July; that we are going up as champions. Who comes with us? Who knows and do I care?

PS. Also don't discount Bradford City. We still have to go there, MK and PNE.

It is very difficult to "guess" what the outcome will be at the end of the season. In addition to the four clubs mentioned above, the one that nobody should ignore is Sheffield United.

In terms of current support, the biggest in this league and therefore with the financial ability under SCMP rules to recruit during January. They proved last season, as we did to a lesser extent, how quickly a team can climb the table with four or five wins on the bounce.

All that I will predict now is to restate what I did in July; that we are going up as champions. Who comes with us? Who knows and do I care?

It's easy to climb through mid table with good form, but very difficult against the leagues best. Sheffield Utd would need to make up 14 points on Swindon to make it inside the top 2. By all means they could be a great threat in the play offs. However I think they have left themselves too much for the 2nd half of the season to think about automatic promotion.

Think MK Dons will win it, sadly. Can't see us dispatching sides 7-0, 6-0 and 6-1 . . . especially as frequently as they do. When they tick, they are a stunning side to watch at this level.

Out of Preston, Swindon and ourselves, whilst the 'first' 11s are very equal, it's our strength in depth that will see us through, as yesterday proved. :)

The best thing about this squad is that it's being built... Cotts has proved he's not just bringing in heads to make up the numbers. Keith Burt commented after the dealings in the close season that this was just the start.

We can see & so can they, that if we had another on form front man converting some of the chances we are creating, then it's another piece of the jigsaw in place... I can't see a reason why we can't see teams off 4, 5 or 6 nil with an addition or two in Jan.

I think we will go up with PNE.

A match between this team and the 2006/07 team would be a cracker!

I 100% agree with that. This season's squad has definitely got more class, but defensively the class of 07 were solid as rocks, and I wonder how many the new boys would put past Basso, not many I would say, whilst one moment of brilliance from Noble and a blistering run from Murray could certainly find out our back four this season.

Think MK Dons will win it, sadly. Can't see us dispatching sides 7-0, 6-0 and 6-1 . . . especially as frequently as they do. When they tick, they are a stunning side to watch at this level.

Out of Preston, Swindon and ourselves, whilst the 'first' 11s are very equal, it's our strength in depth that will see us through, as yesterday proved. :)

But MK also just got thumped 3-0 at home, something that has never happened to us.

There are so few points between the top four I don't see how anyone can say with any confidence who will come out top come the end of the season.

If we had converted some of our chances in previous games we could of won games by 4/5/6. MK have taken there chances and fair play to them. But they also just lost 0-3 at home something I cant see us doing any time soon. We are a new team who are still gelling. MK have been gelling as a team for the past few seasons. 

But MK also just got thumped 3-0 at home, something that has never happened to us.

There are so few points between the top four I don't see how anyone can say with any confidence who will come out top come the end of the season.

Exactly my thoughts. We all know MK are capable of thumping teams, but we've lost 3 league games, all 1-0, and 2 of those with 10 men. We're a very consistent side who knows how to grind out results. That is what wins you titles, not losing 3-0 at home to mid-table teams. 

As much as I hate to say it, Swindon seem to have the same knack and I expect them to join us in the top two, unless they lose key players in Jan.

We are in a completely different place to our 3 main rivals IMO.

Swindon have a major decision too make, keep their squad intact and pray for promotion and possibly risk another administration if they fail or sell at top prices to survive for at least another season.

Preston have an ageing squad, they have several incredibly highly paid prem/ex prem players on their books and quite a few players on a fair wedge that have been brought in from the championship, my feeling is they have to get promoted or they maybe in serious trouble as well. They are in the position that we had been in for the past 5 years.

For MK I suppose it's all a bit of an adventure, I suspect promotion will be the only hope they have of keeping their current squad in tact, but again failure will lower those players values.

Apart from being the bookies favourites and let's be honest the bookies had Sheff Utd as joint favourites with us at the start of the season, we don't have that financial pressure of our 3 main rivals.

I can't see past MK Dons winning the league. Yesterday's result a bit strange thought they did have 16 shots at goal so perhaps one of those days for them.

Swindon I can see dropping away and I think we might just pip Preston to 2nd.

As for the comparison of the 2006/07 team, think the strikers we have now are better but fairly close other than that. The defence of Orr, Carey/Fontaine, McCombe, McAllister was pretty damn good in League 1 that year.

I can't see past MK Dons winning the league. Yesterday's result a bit strange thought they did have 16 shots at goal so perhaps one of those days for them.

Swindon I can see dropping away and I think we might just pip Preston to 2nd.

As for the comparison of the 2006/07 team, think the strikers we have now are better but fairly close other than that. The defence of Orr, Carey/Fontaine, McCombe, McAllister was pretty damn good in League 1 that year.

They're about to lose Benik Afobe, so hold that thought.

Archived