IGNORED

Just Got Back From Priestfield

Olé

(South London)

Totally dominant against a team that parked the bus, some of the interplay and touches were outstanding, we were never in any danger of not winning other than playing the first half hour like Arsenal trying to walk the ball in. Freeman was an utterly class act, ran the show, far far too good for this division. Korey Smith as captain also orchestrating a lot although playing a cover role and was exposed on the odd occasion as his teammates relied on him when they didn't know how to go forward.

But in the main I love this patient, confident brand of football, a few City fans were worried after half an hour that we weren't converting, but this is a truly Arsenal style of football, build, build, build, but don't take low percentage pot shots, keep on working until the good chances fall to you. They did and we could have won by a lot more - if we had any decent forwards in today's side, but JET was awful, we won 3-1 carrying one, if not both strikers (Smith was better than Boxing Day but you need more pace with JET doing f all)

I'd like JET to do well as he's clearly technically gifted, but we carried him, he was at his walking pace from the start, nothing but a few simple touches (and not all accurate), and never able to truly run with the ball or actually move and contribute to a flowing play. On one occasion second half he had to make just 2 or 3 one twos on the touchline and ended up bent double exhausted which tells you all you need to know about where it has gone wrong. I'm beginning to think he's a flat track bully, he wants to play with the ball in front of him at his pace and with the defence backing off but that's a lot of requirements that don't often appear, certainly not against teams standing up lots of men behind the ball - he's better in a counter attacking team with the defence on the run, we're too good compared to most L1 teams, for opponents to give JET space.

Anyway, don't want to dwell on negatives, we bossed this game, second half we really only gave them a bit of a look with some over elaborate touches, the teams control and interplay is so fluid they get carried away and try backheels and unnecessary touches when they're so confident, and we end up giving the other team the odd break, but would have been a travesty if Gillingham got anything more than their goal - their fans got more and more incensed with referee decisions second half which you could see were going against them but rightly so, it was desperation for a team that would have done nothing on their own.

Solid performance, defence never at risk, Williams possibly off the pace as most issues came down our left, but mostly because we were pushing on, created lots of opportunities to cross from either flank, were continually in possession around their box, could have won by much more with better quality to lead us up front. Wagstaff out right was probably better value than Cunningham on the left, but generally everything good came out of Freeman taking immaculate touches to control and give himself room around opposing players, and then running at defenders and picking passes. He ran the show and never looked like he was getting tired or banged up from close attention - he just keeps going, POY in waiting at it stands.

The third goal probably summed up where we're at our best with Freeman on the ball - and even a cameo from JET in the build up. You could argue it was overall laboured as a team performance only in that we didn't have the frontline to convert the dominance into a far bigger scoreline, I think that would be unfair, I thought we were calm, patient and economic doing what we need to and not becoming desperate which was sensible with the games coming thick and fast. Where I do worry about us being laboured is if we lose Freeman - he's the brightest player and perhaps the only one who is always sure of himself when he gets the ball and turns upfield, others hesitate or pass back unless they have an easy forward pass, he always has in mind to run and look for opportunities to bring in teammates (or makes the opportunity by running the defenders out of position) and teams parking the bus like today might be harder to break down without him. Over to SC to think about that one in January.

No one could argue with where we end the year and all the praise in the world for the team and manager who whatever the line up is, keep on working for one another and believing. The very definition of a team.

Hi mate hope you are well and HNY to you I hope we can share another beer or 6 in 2015 :) .... A good report, but it's interesting that your assessment of JET is completely at odds with what SC has said on the official site. I wonder if thats a case of him talking up a player he would like to move on in January?

I have always defended JET as I will defend any player I consider to be a "footballer" in the purist sense, but when I see Freeman doing everything JET can do and then a good percentage of what someone like Korey Smith can do as well, then I have to concede that he is a player out of time, someone that just doesn't fit the modern game. I still think he works harder than some of his detractors give him credit for but if there is a Manager out there that can work out how to fit him in to a team for 90 minutes, then I feel sadly it would be better for him to move on.

Very interesting read, thanks for taking the time to give detailed comments.

As an aside, the radio commentary said their MoM was Flint, so sounds like a few played well today.

Radio Bristol gave MOTM to Freeman.

Interesting Cotterill went out of his way to heap praise on the two players many would single out to receive the most critism.

Great, comprehensive report mate. I only listened to the game on Player today, but seemed like an utterly dominating performance apart from a 10 minute spell at the start of the second half. Freeman seems to be getting better by the game. Shame about JET, but it seems his time may have come.

Interesting that you make the Arsenal comparisons because many of our lads used to play for them (JET,Ayling,Freeman,Agard)!

Today was a banana skin:injuries, long journey, unfit deputies, and pressure knowing our rivals were on our tail... But we smashed it. And that is another sign that this is our year.

Freeman is pure class and is the catalyst for the entire team IMO. Take him out and we definitely have a huge loss.

Smashing player, and getting better and better. Interesting though I would have said the same about Elliott not that long ago. Shows we at least have options.

By no means a criticism as he is becoming the fulcrum, but would love to see him pop a few more goals in himself. Could then really become a true star, Murray or Tnnion like.

Yes this squad has the confidence and the mental strength, to go all the way this season. The best team spirit we have seen in years in my opinion.

Does anyone know the stats on teams that are top of the league at Christmas / new year; that go on and get promoted automatically by the seasons end ?

The manager heaps praise on Smith....(huge thread on how bad he is) who has scored three in two and JET (Many huge threads on how bad he is) who scored the winner in our last game!

We won 3-1 and had a goal chalked off that SC could not get to grips with as well!

We are lucky to have such poor players!!

Just back and agree with OP on most points.. Freeman ran the show and whilst a critic of JET he was class at times and as frustrating on other occasions. Smith found his touch in addition to his goals and will get better. We did get sloppy and over play on occasions but we could go up another gear at anytime and overall a really strong performance and well done 662 reds as great effort on a freezing day.

Radio Bristol gave MOTM to Freeman.

Interesting Cotterill went out of his way to heap praise on the two players many would single out to receive the most critism.

I haven't seen what Cotterill said as I only just got home but this was such a one sided match it was absurd.

Their goal - though well taken - came from us just switching off and letting him stroll through.

Superb goal from Wagstaff.

I would have given MoM to Freeman.

I'm a critic of JET but I thought he played ok today and gave some nice touches?

Almost scored twice too.

I haven't seen what Cotterill said as I only just got home but this was such a one sided match it was absurd.

Their goal - though well taken - came from us just switching off and letting him stroll through.

Superb goal from Wagstaff.

I would have given MoM to Freeman.

I'm a critic of JET but I thought he played ok today and gave some nice touches?

Almost scored twice too.

Well that evens up nicely the JET debate, a difficult dilemma I guess for Cotts as to whether or not to start him, whatever else he brings he does have the touch of an angel and the work rate of a sloth, and the question would be do we have to work work work every game  for the win, all do we have the confidence to start him, perhaps to-day partly answered that, personally I think we should progress him further, he is still young and not the finished article, who knows how it could turn out?

Also on RB they were talking about just how patient he had been about not starting, and is just wanting to work at his game.

Certainly opinion is divided on him.

Well that evens up nicely the JET debate, a difficult dilemma I guess for Cotts as to whether or not to start him, whatever else he brings he does have the touch of an angel and the work rate of a sloth, and the question would be do we have to work work work every game  for the win, all do we have the confidence to start him, perhaps to-day partly answered that, personally I think we should progress him further, he is still young and not the finished article, who knows how it could turn out?

Also on RB they were talking about just how patient he had been about not starting, and is just wanting to work at his game.

Certainly opinion is divided on him.

Well here's the real acid test, a mercurial player whose contract expires in the summer, with as yet no talk of an extension, a player like this should attract immense attention from a host of teams hoping to improve their season and probably including foreign teams. Should be interesting an January, SC and SL's phones should be on fire soon.

Saw one of them said Wagstaff was a shout for motm, would like to think we're considering giving him at least a years extension, a very versatile who fits with how we play and makes for great back up at least.

On JET, the question is has he done enough to earn a new contract or would Cotts be able to use the money from his wages better with him no longer around, atm I would be inclined to believe the latter whether JET were to leave in Jan or at the end of the season. 

Freeman was MOM, thought JET did ok, big hand in the 3rd goal and Smith up front also did well with 2 goals.

All the squad are doing well, with Agard, Wilbraham, Elliott and Bryan out we were down to the bare bones.

Great result and well deserved 3 points, could and should have been more than 3 goals.

Hi mate hope you are well and HNY to you I hope we can share another beer or 6 in 2015 :) .... A good report, but it's interesting that your assessment of JET is completely at odds with what SC has said on the official site. I wonder if thats a case of him talking up a player he would like to move on in January?

I have always defended JET as I will defend any player I consider to be a "footballer" in the purist sense, but when I see Freeman doing everything JET can do 

HNY to you too buddy. I was surprised by SC's comments but there again others have replied here and said JET did well (or at least a lot better), so that's football, we all see it differently. Perhaps the bar has been very low this season! I'm certainly not a knee jerk JET critic, I've always been a fan of his and like you I will always give skill players the benefit of the doubt and I'm always keen for JET to be a success as he has a capacity to do something out of the ordinary and was a class act at times last season. 

He had at least one trademark snap shot from outside the area which rasped just past the near post, and had a couple of smartly weighted lay offs to bring in teammates (including the build up to Wagstaff's goals) but apart from that it was the odd touch out on the touchline - all told that is not enough of a shift for a talented forward with the skillset he has. Our best moves tend to bypass him, and he's not playing a role to get on the end of much - he doesn't play with any speed and drifts out too easily.

Maybe that's okay - he's not a target man who wins the ball in the air (which we already knew), and we know he likes to play deep with the ball at his feet, but exactly as you say in your post, Freeman seems able to run at and beat defenders and put himself about, so JET isn't even playing his own game well at the moment, in a way that someone who looks about sixteen seems able to. It's not enough to wander around 30 yards out contributing the odd touch out of his feet and using none of his evident physical attributes.

I'm surprised at SC's comments and feel like the guy isn't playing with the fitness, drive or reactions of a professional footballer, but others saw it the way SC called it, so what do I know. I'd like it to be true as a player with JET's technical ability, playing well with speed and strength, would be unstoppable and an incredible foil for Freeman. We saw that kind of application last season, I haven't seen it at all this season and I didn't see it for any of today. Perhaps our team all just play with a motor and desire that JET can't match.

As for bids for Freeman in January, as he's only 6 months into his contract there is no need to consider selling him as he is going to be crucial in our bid for promotion, only if a team makes an offer which is stupidly unbelievable should we even consider the idea of selling him.

I've just got back too and totally agree with the OP, Freeman was terrific, his first touch was quality and they just couldn't handle him. Matt Smith looked a lot more mobile, I like him, think he has a lot to offer & his positional play is really intelligent.

Ayling, Flint and K Smith all had good games again, JET?, no comment... it's all been said!!

Oh, and it was bloody freezing!!!

Archived