IGNORED

Top 10 City Players

Glyn Rileys Mullet

I'll go one better and name eleven:

Clay; Annan, Cottle; Hanlin, Wedlock, Spear; Staniforth, Hardy, Gilligan, Burton, Hilton

They are the players that took City to its only F A cup final.

I get the feeling that one or two in this current team could be contenders in the next couple of seasons.

As for Christian Roberts- that just baffled me as well as an inclusion of Tony Thorpe ahead of Goater, Maynard or Bob Taylor.

Loved Thorpey but I don't see how he can get in anyone's top 10 over the likes of Goater, Maynard or Bob Taylor.

Thorpey was a good fox in the box but was only ever L1 class. He was also a tad lazy and a bit of a chicken! Fantastic finisher but shouldn't go down as one of the greats. Same goes for Roberts. Not fit to lace Goater, Akinbiyi or Maynard's boots.

Surely it would be reasonable to start with the players who were regulars when we were last in the highest echelons of English League football so surely Merrick, Cheesley, Cashley, Mann must be worth a mention, and what about Garland?

My personal favourite was John Galley, without whom we'd have been relegated in ADs first season

Surely it would be reasonable to start with the players who were regulars when we were last in the highest echelons of English League football so surely Merrick, Cheesley, Cashley, Mann must be worth a mention, and what about Garland?

My personal favourite was John Galley, without whom we'd have been relegated in ADs first season

Just what I was going to put Stevie.

Cashley

Sweeney

Drysdale

Merrick

Collier

Rogers

Gow

Mann

Tainton

Whitehead

Fear

Cheesley

Ritchie

Hunter

add in Atyeo, Wedlock, Galley and a couple of others and you wouldn't be far away if you chose 10 of them.

Kinda hard to say, as not many people are familiar with our Pre war players, apart from wedlock, and that is nearly half our history.

If wedlock and atyeo are the best 2, then there are a lot of others, since the 80s when I started going, I would say shelton, walsh, Newman and Taylor, the 90s are slim pickings apart from cole jacki Shaun Taylor and tinnion, and series of excellent left backs, the 2000s we had some top players in the play off season plus Maynard and adomah, and now I can see that freeman and Corey smith are the best of the bunch, but they need to prove it in the championship.

Shame I missed the 70s, but there is the occasional footage floating around which is fun to watch..

Just what I was going to put Stevie.

Cashley

Sweeney

Drysdale

Merrick

Collier

Rogers

Gow

Mann

Tainton

Whitehead

Fear

Cheesley

Ritchie

Hunter

add in Atyeo, Wedlock, Galley and a couple of others and you wouldn't be far away if you chose 10 of them.

Unfortunately before my time but my old man has told me all about the above players. Going on his and many others opinion the list above would be far superior to my 10 for instance.

In my lifetime. I will go with :

(In no particular order)

Brian Tinnion

Scott Murray

Shaun Goater

Tommy Doc

Paul Agostino

Nicky Maynard

Shaun Taylor

Louis Carey

Leroy Lita

Adriano Basso

I also believe that there are a half a dozen of our current players that have huge potential in forcing their way onto that list.

Unfortunately before my time but my old man has told me all about the above players. Going on his and many others opinion the list above would be far superior to my 10 for instance.

The best team I have ever seen wear our kit by a mile. It was my first City team and I live in hope that I will, one day, see a City side that good again!

The best team I have ever seen wear our kit by a mile. It was my first City team and I live in hope that I will, one day, see a City side that good again!

I missed out Norman Hunter who I had really meant to mention, if Bobby Moore hadn't been in his generation I'm sure he would have earned over 100 England caps...but he ended up playing for us!

Everyone thought he was a bit of a tough blunt tool central defender, but he often played in midfield and was a revelation, even scoring goals from open play.

If I look back at our most valuable signing it would probably be Alan Dicks who took us from almost certain relegation to Div 3 to the 1st division.

I missed out Norman Hunter who I had really meant to mention, if Bobby Moore hadn't been in his generation I'm sure he would have earned over 100 England caps...but he ended up playing for us!

Everyone thought he was a bit of a tough blunt tool central defender, but he often played in midfield and was a revelation, even scoring goals from open play.

If I look back at our most valuable signing it would probably be Alan Dicks who took us from almost certain relegation to Div 3 to the 1st division.

I missed one out myself (whoops). Apologies to Donnie Gillies. :facepalm:

Made such an impact when he scored the winning goals at Leeds and Liverpool in the FA Cup

How about Kevin Mabbutt, hat trick in 1-3 win at Old Trafford.

Anyone who had a 'fan club' in those days and a lotus with 'superstar' on the back doesn't deserve to be on the list!! ;)

My inclusion of Roberts is for the last minute play off goal. Ashton Gate rocked that night and I saw the Dolman Stand "move".

Any player who can do that has to be in my list.

Christian Roberts? A man who, by his own admission, took to the field blind drunk? You're having rather more than a laugh.

Hunter was fantastic.

I remember a City free kick just outside the area & he started his run from the half way line and as the ball was tapped to him he let fly with a ferocious shot into the top corner of the East End net.

All well and good but for the poor unfortunate defenders in the wall not only did the ball fly past their heads but also Hunter's trusty muddied boot!

Archived