IGNORED

The Official Gillingham V Bristol City Jpt Area Final First Leg Match Day Thread

John Atyeo scored 5 against Chichester back in the day.

I saw him score 4 against Shrewsbury in the promotion season. Everything since then has been an anticlimax compared to that. Bugger you Atyeo, you've ruined the last 50 years!

We did beat them 11-0 though

True, and the myth is that Big John got a rowlocking for not taking his chances ;)

God knows what Horace would have made of that. He counts "one, two, three, lots". He still reckons we drew THAT game against Coventry because both teams scored "lots" :o

• Like 1

I saw him score 4 against Shrewsbury in the promotion season. Everything since then has been an anticlimax compared to that. Bugger you Atyeo, you've ruined the last 50 years!

Wish I'd been there :(

I heard that result on the radio and didn't believe it. 1-1 HT, 1-5 FT. I phoned the Supporters Club to check. When I finally got through, a very drunken fan confirmed the result.

Edited by Aizoon

I was  clearly premature about MS and so pleased that I've now got a great chance of taking my family to Wembley. Well done Matt Smith and to him I apologise- I was wrong as he scores goals. It's not the first time a view on a player is inaccurate and , God knows, it won't be the last. At least I'm prepared to hold my hand up.

You gave your opinion after the Yeovil game, and looking back at the early pages of the thread, many, many long time posters who saw the game agreed with you.

Matt Smith has certainly improved, beyond recognition in fact, to an almost ridiculous extent which was utterly inconceivable at the time.

He's also benefitted from some truly fantastic service. But most of all he's shown he's a goalscorer.

Opinions get heated, and positions entrenched, especially when arguing the case with people who haven't actually watched games.

You weren't wrong at the time, a bit over the top perhaps, but his almost superhuman transformation means you, me, and many others are open season for the 'I told you so brigade'.

The fact is, as City fans we're all going to be delighted he's come good in such spectacular fashion, to the extent he's had the game of his life tonight.

I've always said I would give him credit where credit's due, which I have already, and I more than happily repeat it tonight. So very well done Matt Smith. 

For those gloating about Smith I'm sure I could find threads - on Flint for example - where many of those same posters would have reason to feel equally embarrassed by their comments.

But that's the point of a forum, give your opinion as you see it - and I hope you continue to do just that.

• Like 4

Nice post from the Gills forum....

Mike we were outclassed pure and simple. At times Bristol were magnificent to watch they should have been up 4 or 5 at half time.

Freeman is superb ran the game. Smith was just different gear.

It was a spirited effort Macdonald is a superb player he and Dack were the only ones who were above average and may be Egan.

Doughty get rid not interested not committed. Legge just out of his depth shows that he is just not up to this league. Loft needs to be a captain another mediocre performance from someone who we know can play better and should be running games in the way that Freeman was.

The ampunt of over hit short balls was amazing to me. Can players not kill balls anymore? Bristol seemed to manage it.

Interesting points there Peter and I am sure someone will come out with the answers.

Best part about going to Priestfield was that it had the best chippy this side of Aldborough, Suffolk... widely regarded the best in the land... sadly closed i recently heard.

Superb performance by City and Smith last night. I read through the thread to give me a flavour of the game and always makes for a good read when we win so thanks to one and all; i think half of Brizzle are natural comedians; made I larffff.

I believe it was Coventry at home on Boxing day was his long wait for another goal (1978 ?)

My first ever game and what an induction that was.. I was well and truly hooked after that one although as others have said Royle kinda never reached those heights again; he peaked far too early as the Nun said.

When was the last time a player scored 4 for City?. Not in my time.

Baker just said Agostino against StAlbans

What the hec is Baker on? I could score 4 against St. Albans and what kinda match was that anyway? Its belittling the mighty Gills and Smith to compare them to St. Flipping Albans. Shameful.  :facepalm: