IGNORED

Je Suis Charlie

Cambridge Batch Red

The thing is Life Of Brian was made by a team of five comedians coming from a Christian background - which is why it can be seen as an affectionate parody from within a tradition.

But yes, to the wider point, impossible to call the perpetrators of today's attack anything more than cowardly, brain-dead fascists. "Play by our rules or we'll kill you".

Do they still have the guillotine in France? I do hope so...

Yep, but I'd be surprised if Syrian returnees a) aren't known about b) have a logistics network that can supply automatic rifles, body armour and rocket launchers.

Wouldn't rule out chechens either.

Possibly BCR, but no-one picked up the (French) attacker from Brussels and he'd brought back a Kalashnikov from his holidays too.

Their border controls must be even worse than ours!

I have no desire to rehash the old 'discussions' on Islam and fundamentalism. All I will say that is if my Facebook feed is anything to go by, the Muslim population of the UK is just as shocked and appalled by today's events in Paris as the rest of us

Je Suis Charlie

Too add to the sophistication angle - today was an editorial meeting. No coincidence I'm sure.

They didn't shoot the people who they hijacked cars from. Doesn't really suggest a wider aim to the attack. Get in, kill the staff, get out. Not an attack on France it seems.

If I was staff on a certain Danish publication I'd be very worried right now.

Too add to the sophistication angle - today was an editorial meeting. No coincidence I'm sure.

They didn't shoot the people who they hijacked cars from. Doesn't really suggest a wider aim to the attack. Get in, kill the staff, get out. Not an attack on France it seems.

If I was staff on a certain Danish publication I'd be very worried right now.

Shooting an injured policeman with his hands in the air is pretty similar to an attack on the French state. The response to this atrocity should be more satire. We should all mock Mohammed - the bearded goat ****** - in the name of freedom.

I have no desire to rehash the old 'discussions' on Islam and fundamentalism. All I will say that is if my Facebook feed is anything to go by, the Muslim population of the UK is just as shocked and appalled by today's events in Paris as the rest of us

Je Suis Charlie

Then i'm sure they will be out tomorrow demonstrating their outrage at the people "hijacking" their religion.

Then i'm sure they will be out tomorrow demonstrating their outrage at the people "hijacking" their religion.

Perhaps. It'll be like when all those Christians were out on the street demanding the return of their religion after Anders Breivik referred to himself as a 'Christian Crusader' before he murdered all those kids

But anyway, I've been through all this before with others on these boards and don't want to do it again

Just a few general comments, not in any particular order concerning the events of today.

1. The three culprits have been identified and are being pursued actively. They all live in France and one of them was imprisoned previously due to links with Iraqi jihadism.

2. I have seen mention in the British media of an RPG. Whilst RPGs are relatively commonplace in France (they are used frequently for attacks on armoured cash carriers) and Kalashnikovs are both widespread and the arm of choice in the suburbs of Marseille and North Paris, I believe that the 'third' arm today was, in fact, a pump-action shotgun.

3. There have, indeed, been numerous mentions in French social media that 'they deserved it', but I think you will find that this comes from the usual 'young arabs' showing their bravado and the same sort of idiots who 'twitter' that young women deserve to be raped when they dare to speak out on feminist issues. It most certainly is not the view of the French in general, whether they be Protestant/Catholic or Muslim: indeed, many prominent Muslims have spoken publicly denouncing the crime and saying that it was not carried out in the name of Islam/Allah, but in the name of Satan.

Just a few general comments, not in any particular order concerning the events of today.

1. The three culprits have been identified and are being pursued actively. They all live in France and one of them was imprisoned previously due to links with Iraqi jihadism.

2. I have seen mention in the British media of an RPG. Whilst RPGs are relatively commonplace in France (they are used frequently for attacks on armoured cash carriers) and Kalashnikovs are both widespread and the arm of choice in the suburbs of Marseille and North Paris, I believe that the 'third' arm today was, in fact, a pump-action shotgun.

3. There have, indeed, been numerous mentions in French social media that 'they deserved it', but I think you will find that this comes from the usual 'young arabs' showing their bravado and the same sort of idiots who 'twitter' that young women deserve to be raped when they dare to speak out on feminist issues. It most certainly is not the view of the French in general, whether they be Protestant/Catholic or Muslim: indeed, many prominent Muslims have spoken publicly denouncing the crime and saying that it was not carried out in the name of Islam/Allah, but in the name of Satan.

All good points. From my news feed:

PARIS (AP) _ French police officials identified three men as suspects in a deadly attack against newspaper offices that killed 12 people and shook the nation on Wednesday.

Two officials named the suspects as Frenchmen Said Kouachi and Cherif Kouachi, who are brothers and in their early 30s, as well as 18-year-old Hamyd Mourad, whose nationality wasn't immediately clear.

One of the officials said they were linked to a Yemeni terrorist network. A witness of Wednesday's shootings at the offices of weekly satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo said one of the attackers told onlookers, ``You can tell the media that it's al-Qaida in Yemen.''

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to publicly discuss the sensitive and ongoing investigation. No arrests have been confirmed in the hunt for the attackers. 

question.

If it put a picture of the cartoon on here, will it be taken down???

I've not seen the cartoon , so I guess it would depend if it is offensive or if they just took offence.

I see 2 more seriously wounded today, including a Police officer.

I've not seen the cartoon , so I guess it would depend if it is offensive or if they just took offence.

I see 2 more seriously wounded today, including a Police officer.

let's see

here you go

Charlie-Hebdo.jpg

I saw about the police officer too. and the car explosion yesterday in the aftermath. Not sure if linked though, but was not able to keep up with everything yesterday.

A few more comments, again in no particular order.

1. The three suspects were, in fact, only two - the two Kouachi brothers, one of whom had been imprisoned previously for his involvement in sending would-be jihadists to Iraq. Both brothers are of French-Algerian descent, were abandoned as children and raised in childrens homes in France. The third 'suspect' is their 18 year-old brother-in-law, who did not 'surrender' as quoted by various UK sources, but, having been alerted by social media that he was a suspect, handed himself in to his local police station some 250km north-east of Paris: he had spent the day at school where he is considered a 'normal pupil'. Certain UK sources referred to him as being the getaway driver, but if you look at the footage it will be noted that it is one of the two gunmen who drives away after shooting the police officer.

2. 'The independent says one if the attackers left his ID card in the car they abandoned. If that is true - that is inbelievably stupid.' For various reasons, I don't think either of the two suspects can be considered as being intelligent, but it is understandable that, in their panic, one of them dropped his ID card - it will have been noted that the passenger lost his shoe!

3. There has been a further (apparently unrelated!) shooting of two police officers in a southern Paris suburb this morning and you will hear later of an explosion, believed to be criminal, of a kebab shop next to a mosque in Villefranche-sur-Saone, a heavily arab populated town near to Lyon.

'

4. You will no doubt hear over the next few days of various attacks on arab-owned establishments and, very likely, of swastikas being sprayed on Jewish establishments, especially graveyards: regrettably, just like the burning of cars on 14 July and New Years Eve (only 300 cars on 31/12/2014!) it can be expected.

5. Finally, the two suspects were, indeed, under surveillance, as were the 'London bombers', but were not suspected of such an attack.

Archived