IGNORED

Parental Guidance Needed....

redsontour

Right...It's time...My son (3) has had a season ticket for 2 years, yet I have not had the balls to bring him because, like most 3 year olds, his attention span is about 8 seconds. However, it is time to bring him to what is going to be his spiritual home..So Saturday it is.

I need advice from those that bring young ones to the game:

1) How do i keep him occupied whilst I watch football if its not "his bag" so to speak?

2) How can I avoid him annoying those around me.

3) If we (oh the shame) conspire to lose the game, how do I console him without buying him something expensive (it's what the wife has to do for me)

Of course, these are rather tongue in cheek questions because, of course, if he doesn't like what he sees he shall be spending the next 12 years living in the garage ****il its time to leave home).

Thanks 

I took my 3 year old to his first game against Telford. On the whole he loved it.

He sat still and watched the game for a good 30 minutes with the assistance of a packet of crisps before getting a bit restless just before half time. I took him for a wee and a bit of a walk around outside at half time and then he sat still again for another 30 minutes with some sweets. Towards the end he was getting quite excited as we were pushing for the goal, he loved cheering when we scored.

I won't take him again for a while now, and not in a high profile game as it'd be rammed, loud and I would want to concentrate on the football. It can be done but you've got to accept that he is 3 and as you say not interested!

Right...It's time...My son (3) has had a season ticket for 2 years, yet I have not had the balls to bring him because, like most 3 year olds, his attention span is about 8 seconds. However, it is time to bring him to what is going to be his spiritual home..So Saturday it is.

1) How do i keep him occupied whilst I watch football if its not "his bag" so to speak?

3) If we (oh the shame) conspire to lose the game, how do I console him without buying him something expensive (it's what the wife has to do for me)

Of course, these are rather tongue in cheek questions because, of course, if he doesn't like what he sees he shall be spending the next 12 years living in the garage ****il its time to leave home).

Thanks 

So have you had an empty seat next to you for two years?

Thanks 

Get his face painted first, then dress him up with a jester hat, comedy foam hand and replica kit with his own name on the back.  Then let him have a fun old time with whoever our mascot is these days.  From recent observation, this is how the junior customer does it in modern day football. 

So have you had an empty seat next to you for two years?

What of it..? I have a season ticket for my boy, he has been once but the seat is paid for and sometimes used by friends who buy a single ticket anywhere in the Dolman but are then able to sit next to me when they come.

It's worth persevering. My 10 year old daughter was about 5 when I started taking her. Now she can't get enough football. She's City mad. I think she's watching under 18 on the telly at the moment. Any footy and she'll watch it.

My daughter is 5, I hope she'll start taking more interest in the football than the enormous bag of sweets eventually!

Took my boy who is nearly 5 a few times this season, he wants to go and we make sure he knows he is going to the park on winterstoke rd before the game, yet he spends most of the game colouring in and playing with action figures!! 90 mins is a long time for them. Make sure you have sweets and drinks for them and make sure they go to the toilet before the game!!! The main thing is he says he wants to go again.

the chap who sits in front of me sometimes brings three small children, complete with booster seats, comics, and colouring in. They usually sit all the way through the match, sometimes watching, sometimes not

That takes me back to the SOD days.  I would have literally wrestled those kids to the floor to get a colouring in book.

Simple advice based on experience:

1) Don't expect any real interest until he's 7-8 years old

2). Only take him when the weather is really warm. You might be prepared to sit in the cold watching City, but a young child won't.

3). Remember he will have a short attention span, compared to an adult, even at 7-8 years old.

4) Take things to compensate for the short attention span - e g snacks, things to look at.

5) The most important thing! MAKE SURE HE CAN SEE THE MATCH. This is very difficult when you're small and impossible during the rebuilding. With the 27k capacity new ground it will be much easier.

Took my son of about 5 years old to his first city game many years ago. He fell asleep across my lap almost all of the first half

And right through the half time break, suddenly woke up when the chant went up as the payers ran out for the second half to a rather portly oposition goalie of You Fat Bar-steward. Many questions latter he went back to sleep. Grown up now and season ticket holder. Memories, don't you just love em.

I first took my lad when he was about 5, and he went all over the country with me watching Rovers and loved it. He is 17 now, and playing sport, work, pubs and girls mean he hasn't been at all this season and didn't go much last, yet on his way out of the door just now, he took one look at the rather fetching burgundy shirt I am wearing and demanded to know why I was wearing a shade of red- I did my job well :)

My suggestion, if he hasn't already got one, take a mobile phone with him so he can text the match day thread keep him occupied for 90 minutes, just like the other kids. Failing that, tell him he is going to see the king shed man.

Archived