IGNORED

Fee For Doherty?

keeno85

Just wondering, considering the clubs being linked with Doherty, what fans are expecting in terms of a fee. Sunderland are £40 million in debt, QPR have no money either, and very few first divison clubs could surley afford the £750,000+ that most city fans would consider a fair fee. The only club linked who would be in a position to make city an "attractive" offer, would be Southampton. If Doherty expresses a wish to leave, city fans may be dissapointed by the fee.

Just wondering, considering the clubs being linked with Doherty, what fans are expecting in terms of a fee. Sunderland are £40 million in debt, QPR have no money either, and very few first divison clubs could surley afford the £750,000+ that most city fans would consider a fair fee. The only club linked who would be in a position to make city an "attractive" offer, would be Southampton. If Doherty expresses a wish to leave, city fans may be dissapointed by the fee.
£750,000 what!!

He's worth well more than that to the club. I know that no one can afford it but I wouldn't accept anything less than £1.5million.He is the heart and soul of our team we must keep him.

I agree that he is so important to our team, and also wouldnt accept anything less then £1.5 million for him. But we could find oursleves in the same situation as we had with Scott Murray last season, and could suffer from a depressed transfer market again.

You'd be bloody lucky to get £1.5 million for any 2nd division (1st division, whatever our league is called now) player. No matter how good they are.

£750k is best we can hope for I think

Seconded! We'll get about the same for Tom as we had for Scott Murray

You'd be bloody lucky to get £1.5 million for any 2nd division (1st division, whatever our league is called now) player. No matter how good they are.

EXACTLY WE'RE NOT TRYING TO FIND A PRICE TO SELL HIM FOR HE IS WORTH £1.5MILLION EVEN IF IT WOULD BE LUCKY FOR US TO GET IT.

Guest Swiss Baloney

I would say Noooooo Foooooookkkkkkkiiiiin Way!!!!!!

EXACTLY WE'RE NOT TRYING TO FIND A PRICE TO SELL HIM FOR HE IS WORTH £1.5MILLION EVEN IF IT WOULD BE LUCKY FOR US TO GET IT.
Hello Mr Chairman, always wondered what your other alias was on here.

We will be lucky to get £400k and if we did I am sure the club will happily take it. There are better players than Tommy moving for free transfers at the moment (just higher wages).

We can't price our players out of the market; we need financial security first and foremost and if that involves selling Doherty to achieve; the sooner, the better.

Last season Cardiff offered £500k for Coles. God I bet the board regret turning that one down. We'd struggle to get anywhere near that sort of offer for him again. Major mistake IMO.

I am very glad we didnt sell Coles as he is are best defender IMO. If we sell Tommy and Coles the spine of our team will have gone i would prefer to keep them and refuse offers because without those two i cant see us doing much next year even if we would have more money.

We will be lucky to get £400k and if we did I am sure the club will happily take it.  There are better players than Tommy moving for free transfers at the moment (just higher wages).

We can't price our players out of the market; we need financial security first and foremost and if that involves selling Doherty to achieve; the sooner, the better.

Last season Cardiff offered £500k for Coles.  God I bet the board regret turning that one down.  We'd struggle to get anywhere near that sort of offer for him again.  Major mistake IMO.

While I agree that financial security is crucial, I hope this to be the only reason if Doherty is sold. People are talking about Wellens as a possible repalcement, but how would we get him ahead of bigger clubs if he is as good as people are making him out to be?

Also, even in a depressed transfer market, not selling Danny Coles last summer was the right decision. He is still only 22 and is already such an accomplished defender, a premiership player for the future surely, and anything short of £1 million would be bad business.

I don't see how the market will ever be anything other than depressed post-Bosman.

As more and more foreign stars are brought in, better quality players will move down to the Coca-Cola Championship (what a stupid name!).

Hence, what we now call a depressed market will surely become the norm?

I don't think Danny Coles will ever leave Bristol City with a fee involving more than £300/400k. More than likely, he will walk away for nothing in a couple of years time :D

Guest bcfc_babe

We cant lose Tommy without question! i only hope that he has got a deep anough love 4 the team 2 stay with us because its very unlikely that the fee we get for him will b anywhere near what he is worth to us, both the bristol city team and the fans.

Guest pentlandsl

I think £1,000,000 is a realistic amount. Whilst most teams can't dig out that much in one go there will be the usual system of staged payments over 2-4 years, with City probably factoring the debt with one of the factoring finance houses for around £750K - £800K in readies.

Probably good business in the long run as no player is irreplaceable, it would be no different than if Tommy had a bad injury and was sidelined for a season - the team would adapt without him.

We mustn't sacrifice financial stability over sentiment - I remember 1982 and how much the thought of City disappearing hurt until we were saved. Maybe some of the younger members of the forum don't remember those times but I sure do.

What is more important? - No City in 5 years time or hanging on to a player regardless of the offers received?

We don't have Abromovich and we are in Div 2 (or CC Div 1) - time for a reality check!

In case anyone thinks otherwise I would love it if Tommy stays but I just can't see it happening for the reasons above.

But what would be better

selling one of our best players for £500-£700k, spending more years in Division 2, or hanging on to the best players and going all out to get out of the division ASAP?

surely selling Doc would signal our admission that we wont be out of this division for a while? :D

Although i completely agree that i dont remember '82 (i was born in 83), we are not in the same position as clubs like Leeds or Bradford.

Guest pentlandsl
Although i completely agree that i dont remember '82 (i was born in 83), we are not in the same position as clubs like Leeds or Bradford.
Imagine waking up tomorrow and the Evening Post announced that Bristol City had been wound up and no longer existed - that is the reality of financial mismanagement. Could you face it?

Couldn't happen to a top club? Ask yourself where the Italian team Fiorentino are now. From European champions to the Rymans league in one season. That is the price of poor financial management.

Leeds are where they are because they gambled a shed load of money they didn't have to get into the Champions League. And failed.

Should we gamble money we don't have to get of Div2 and take the risk of not doing so and going out of business?

I love City and have done so for 28 years. Better to take a risk and get rid of a quality player like Tommy to balance the books than take a chance on keeping him and MAYBE going up.

I would rather watch City in Div2 for the next 10 years than not be able to watch them at all.

The Chairman will do what do what is right (but painful) for the long term future of the club, and I applaud him for that. It takes guts.

Archived