IGNORED

League One Strikers We Should Look At

healeyred

Id be very wary of signing Bradshaw considering we are looking at being a champ club next season.

Struggled in a bad shrewsbury team last season, yet did look decent down the gate...think he would be an unecessary risk and does hav the potential to flop IMO.

Would like us to go for Doyle but think he will move on to bigger better things.

Id be very wary of signing Bradshaw considering we are looking at being a champ club next season.

Struggled in a bad shrewsbury team last season, yet did look decent down the gate...think he would be an unecessary risk and does hav the potential to flop IMO.

Would like us to go for Doyle but think he will move on to bigger better things.

What suggests to you that Doyle would be able to cut it at Championship level but not Bradshaw? Neither player had scored prolifically before this season, and Bradshaw is quite a bit younger

Don't need squad players, every signing should improve what you have imo.

Exactly this. Part of the reason why the squad has been so clogged with rubbish the last few years. usually when you sign a player it's to improve what you have and the above list hasn't got a player that would add improvement to what we already have.

IF Matt Smith's loan is extended until the end of the season, do we really need a new striker..?

In a word 'no'. Signing Smith will be Cotts number 1 priority either til season end or on a permanent contract. Until we know the position with him, Cotts wont be signing anyone else. Get Smith and we will be promoted. He is a huge player in this League and on his current run of form and more importantly his growing partnership with JET, he will be the final piece in the jigsaw.

This list sums up our dilemma:

None of them look good enough if we do get promoted but if Matt Smith is recalled or Fulham won't extend his loan then we are very short up front with both of our first choice strikers injured and one of them rumoured to be out for a much longer spell.

If you want to be really pessimistic Fulham haven't scored in their last 4 games now and once you look beyond their first choice pairing of McCormack and Rodallega I can't see they have anyone else better than Smith.

In truth despite Cotterill's understandable bravado about him being one of ten strikers there I'm amazed Kit Symons hasn't called him back already.

For the first time in years I actually trust the football clubs ability to sign players. Even if I have never heard of the next chap we sign, I would expect great things. I have nothing against the Johnson era but there were so many desparate loans and signings it was hit and miss. This time around I hope we keep going with the quality or nothing agenda.

The dilemma is that although we look like we're going to be a Championship team - we may , for whatever reason, end up in the play offs and not make it.

So does SL ( as SC can only ask) take a gamble on a big money/wage signing only to find he's made the same mistake (as Taylor 10 alludes to) and has a very expensive wage bill whilst stuck in DIV3? Possibly with a player who signed to play in the Championship and is pissed off.

Cotts makes the point that Jan is a really difficult  window as there is desperation out there from Club's who need goals and may pay over the odds for a player who's had one good season.

I think SL/KB and SC are playing a careful and considered game. Once the Gills game is out of the way and we win then there's only one extra game- Wembley!

SC et al will want to be in FA as long as possible but we already have a fixture pile up and nothing is more important to SL than getting back into Div2/Championship. Our squad is just too small and our rivals just too close to stick with what we've got. Matt Smith can't keep scoring without Kit Symons saying it's time to put him back in a team that can't seem to score even if matt is not in his long term plans.

Jet has been written off by so many on here but he's played his way ( by circumstance not SC choice) back into the starting line up and is there because he deserves to be as has Matt Smith. 

My best guess- MS back to Fulham and SC buys new player and loans one. IMO.

For the first time in years I actually trust the football clubs ability to sign players. Even if I have never heard of the next chap we sign, I would expect great things. I have nothing against the Johnson era but there were so many desparate loans and signings it was hit and miss. This time around I hope we keep going with the quality or nothing agenda.

If you look at the players we've signed since Keith Burt came in then there are few flops. El Abd is about the only flop we signed permanently. 

Jonathan forte is one of them players he either does or he doesn't, also tends to go on a scoring spree and then you never see him do it for a year or so. Good player mind but I don't think he would suited to the way you play or good enough once you gain promotion.

Paddy Madden is a very good player, yet raw any higher than League One or Two.

Supposedly Tom Bradshaw rejected Notts earlier within the season before signing for Walsall, my Walsall contacts rate him and rave on about how hard working he is but is he Championship quality? I wouldn't assume so.

I think you'd do better to look at players within the Championship or youngsters being released by the big boys in the Premiership.

Out of interest, how do you view Joe Garner?

Jonathan forte is one of them players he either does or he doesn't, also tends to go on a scoring spree and then you never see him do it for a year or so. Good player mind but I don't think he would suited to the way you play or good enough once you gain promotion.

Paddy Madden is a very good player, yet raw any higher than League One or Two.

Supposedly Tom Bradshaw rejected Notts earlier within the season before signing for Walsall, my Walsall contacts rate him and rave on about how hard working he is but is he Championship quality? I wouldn't assume so.

I think you'd do better to look at players within the Championship or youngsters being released by the big boys in the Premier League.

Out of interest, how do you view Joe Garner?

Thanks for your insight, genuinely. Good to have opposing fans who aren't ********* on here!

I personally believe that Garner has proved to not be up to Championship football. Yes, he's had a good 18 months now but had three or four failed seasons in the league above this one.

Don't need squad players, every signing should improve what you have imo.

Agree with this. Sears would be a good squad addition at this level but if we're promoted he will be very poor, as he has already proved at championship level in the past, so it's a pointless signing. We need players that are/potentially better than the ones we have currently. I do like the look of Oldham's Forte but I think quite a few of his goals are penalties? If we can sign Matt Smith for the rest of the season then I don't think another striker is essential. Surely Smith, Agard, Wilbraham & JET is enough.

If you look at the players we've signed since Keith Burt came in then there are few flops. El Abd is about the only flop we signed permanently. 

To be fair though El-Abd on paper looked like a great signing. Don't think it helped he came in to a struggling side.

Archived