IGNORED

January 4Th 1969

Curr Avon

Harold Wilson was Prime Minister. Marmalade were Number 1, with Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da and it was the day that City played West Ham in the FA Cup 3rd Round, at Upton Park. There only meeting in the competition to date.

The following information is  taken from Bristol City, The Modern Era: A Complete Record; by David Woods.

West Ham       3-2         City

(1-1)              

Peters 15, 64                       Galley 11

Hurst 52                               Skirton 88

Attendance: 32,526

All-action City shock the Hammers with their high standard of play. Peter's heads in West Ham's equaliser from Redknapp's corner after Galley , looking suspiciously offside, turns Skirton's centre over the line. Hurst hooks the ball over Gibson to put the Hammers in front.

Teams:

City:                      

Gibson

Jacobs

Briggs

Wimshurst

Connor

Parr

Skirton

Garland

Galley

Kellard

Sharpe

West Ham:

Ferguson

Bonds

Charles

Cushley

Stephenson

Moore

Redknapp

Boyce

Hurst

Lindsay

Peters

I wish we still had a player called Wimshurst - that's a brilliant word.  Wonder if any of the current team would be up for changing their name?

Hope Briggs was defending better than he did when he was on loan with us from Fulham...

There is, believe it or not, a static electricity generator called the Wimshurst Machine. A sort of miniature Van de Graaf Generator.

Harold Wilson was Prime Minister. Marmalade were Number 1, with Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da and it was the day that City played West Ham in the FA Cup 3rd Round, at Upton Park. There only meeting in the competition to date.

The following information is  taken from Bristol City, The Modern Era: A Complete Record; by David Woods.

West Ham       3-2         City

(1-1)              

Peters 15, 64                       Galley 11

Hurst 52                               Skirton 88

Attendance: 32,526

All-action City shock the Hammers with their high standard of play. Peter's heads in West Ham's equaliser from Redknapp's corner after Galley , looking suspiciously offside, turns Skirton's centre over the line. Hurst hooks the ball over Gibson to put the Hammers in front.

Teams:

City:                      

Gibson

Jacobs

Briggs

Wimshurst

Connor

Parr

Skirton

Garland

Galley

Kellard

Sharpe

West Ham:

Ferguson

Bonds

Charles

Cushley

Stephenson

Moore

Redknapp

Boyce

Hurst

Lindsay

Peters

The programme's available on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/United-Bristol-football-programme-Hammer/dp/B006RH3P5C

I wish we still had a player called Wimshurst - that's a brilliant word.  Wonder if any of the current team would be up for changing their name?

Hope Briggs was defending better than he did when he was on loan with us from Fulham...

"Wimshurst where's yer handbag" as he was known in the old enclosure.

His Son in Law played for the Ciity as well.      

I read quite an amusing Harry Redknapp quote about the WH team he played in in the 60s/70s. Was something along the lines of: "We had half the World Cup winning team but still finished 15th half the time. Just shows how sh1t the rest of us were."

Though they did win the Cup and Cup Winners' Cup I think

I read quite an amusing Harry Redknapp quote about the WH team he played in in the 60s/70s. Was something along the lines of: "We had half the World Cup winning team but still finished 15th half the time. Just shows how sh1t the rest of us were."

Though they did win the Cup and Cup Winners' Cup I think

They won the FA Cup in 1964, the Cup Winners Cup in 1965. I Had Bobby Moore's biography for Christmas!

Archived