IGNORED

Bbc2 Now - City V Chelsea [Merged]

Bristol Rob

It was a good game and result but I think the game up at Leeds was a better one even though we were in the second division then albeit struggling.

Leeds were 29 games unbeaten, full of internationals, and went on to win the league that season. 

We had 37,000 for the drawn home game and could have doubled that with ease if we had the capacity, 47,000 at Leeds and did them 1-0.

http://www.mightyleeds.co.uk/matches/19740219.htm

Right, now off to see us beat the Hammers...hopefully

COYR

Same here, just about to get warm weather kit on and make journey up the A38    COYR

It was a good game and result but I think the game up at Leeds was a better one even though we were in the second division then albeit struggling.

Leeds were 29 games unbeaten, full of internationals, and went on to win the league that season. 

We had 37,000 for the drawn home game and could have doubled that with ease if we had the capacity, 47,000 at Leeds and did them 1-0.

http://www.mightyleeds.co.uk/matches/19740219.htm

Right, now off to see us beat the Hammers...hopefully

COYR

The Elland Road win was simply our best ever performance. We outplayed the best team in the land on their own midden in their own style. Gerry Gow was massive.

PS From the link above -

"Gow robbed Bremner deep in the Bristol half and found Fear with a long, accurate pass out of defence. The striker turned and sent the ball through for Gillies to run onto. He had to fend off the fearsome challenge of Hunter but was able to slide the ball underneath Harvey and in by the near post, silencing the packed crowd."

Not many did that!

And, of course -

"Gow, in midfield was everywhere, and long before the end had outrun and outfought the leading Leeds warrior, Bremner. Not many players can claim such distinction"

They seem to have missed out an adjective, though :(

Interesting watch. With all the talk of atmosphere etc in the "good old days" on here recently, I was surprised that there was really no atmosphere in this game.

I don't think it sounds like it came across well on the telly (I haven't watched it today) as I rember it being a relentless atmosphere all game long.

As a 14 year old boy you tend to remember particular games for atmosphere and what the day was like and I remember like it was yesterday. It was relentless all game long and I can also still hear gates to the open end on the Williams side clanking as Chelsea tried to get out through the thin blue line and the subsequent roar when they did.

Magical day.

Interesting watch. With all the talk of atmosphere etc in the "good old days" on here recently, I was surprised that there was really no atmosphere in this game.

You weren't there then? Trust me, that was a proper FA Cup day with a pretty ferocious atmosphere.

We were all cabbaged in the L/H side of the enclosure for Chelsea game. Much baiting of cockney winkers, and getting barraged by coins. Some of us were minted that day (pun intended).

When it became apparent to the spivs that they weren't going to win 5-0 they lost their 'loads of money' sense of humour.

Home having my tea before they let the gate shaking losers out.

Archived