IGNORED

George Saville

formerly known as ivan

Not seen much about him on here. What were peoples first thoughts?

I thought he done well and looked calm and composed against superior opposition.

Nice early signs of a decent additional to the squad.

Part of a midfield that dominated but a couple of shaky touches. On the whole decent (to borrow a Bradford phrase).

First half, Saville, Smith and Freeman commanded the midfield. Saville looked good when he got the ball, composed and easy on the ball. Didn't see any rash tackles of the kind we were warned to expect by Wolves & Brentford fans.

Second half, he tired. A few poor touches, definitely not as solid as first half.

Overall, settled in well. Looks like he's been here a while and I can see him becoming a key player.

Looks like another good signing on the basis of this game.

Looked good. If he can maintain that level, I'd like to see him come in as a replacement for Eliott next season.

As usual we agree.

Not going to lie, I couldn't place him at all when we signed him on loan (unlike Tavernier) but he looked a shrewd arrival to me today.

Tall, left footed, a decent user of the ball, our track record on recruits has gone up several notches since Keith Burt joined us.

Harry, on 25 Jan 2015 - 10:45 PM, said:

Can anyone tell me what saville did that pack couldn't?

I was impressed with Saville and to answer your question, I thought he linked up better with Smith and Freeman than Pack does.

I rate Pack but I reckon he plays a bit deeper, so when he came on the midfield was not quite so tight as it was with Saville there.

But with Elliot and Smith and Pack and now Saville we have something we have not had for a long time and that is a good midfield, with options/cover.

I've not seen Pack have a game where I thought 'he needs to play'. Saville had a Carrick-like composure on the ball allowing Freeman to get forward and start attacks. I'd still have Wade in front of him as first choice, but from yesterday and his cameo at S****horpe Saville would be a solid 2nd choice for me.

Archived