IGNORED

Boiler Recommendation

Fordy62

Hello all,

The time has come for Mr and Mrs Fordy to replace their boiler. There are plenty of options out there on the market but I think we're just going to go for a like for like replacement (system boiler).

Any people with knowledge in this larticular area that would care to share it? Particular favourite brands etc?

Thank you in advance.

I had to replace an ancient back boiler when I moved into my new house 3 years ago and so decided to go for a condensing combi boiler.

The only options for me were Worcester or Vailiant...I had a word with a few people in the trade who advised me that there is literally nothing between them, a 'fag paper' was the usual line they used. Both are German made and very reliable and efficient.

The guy who installed it usually fitted Worcester but I plumped for a Vailiant, purely because it was mariginally cheaper.

When he came around to service it this year he admitted that he has far less callouts to replace parts on Vailiant boliers than Worcester, he reckons the components are slightly better quality in a Vailiant. For example where steel parts are used on Worcester (heat exchanger in particular, I think, could be mistaken) on Vailiants they use Aluminium so there are less issues with corrosion etc.

Whatever make you go for you won't regret it, mine's been installed 3 1/2 years now and I haven't had a single issue so far...touch wood.

Hope that helps Fordy

Got a back boiler. Think it might need a power flush. It's going in the kitchen where part of existing boiler is. Cheers for the reply :)

You're going to be looking at the upper end of that price bracket also bare in mind you'll probably have a very old system and you're going from an open vented system to a pressurised system some of your pipework and radiators may not be up to the pressure change and might start springing little leaks :blink:

I'm a plumber and Worcester or valliant is the only boilers a little more expensive then and ideal or glow worm but much more reliable cheaper parts ect and will last longer. Could give u a quote if u like powerflua will cost bout 400 but u may want to consider of setting the price of this with replacing ur rads if it's an old system

I was conned into spending a little bit extra in the belief that I would be buying a top class product.

All I can say is if Worcester is the one to beat, I truly fear for the boiler industry. Been nothing but trouble and tonight, having been repaired before Xmas, is dripping water again from beneath the housing. British Gas fitted, annually serviced and repaired and an absolute, utter pile of shite. Apparently, they have plastic valve fittings (or similar - my eyes started to glaze over when the engineer was explaining its unreliability) which when dealing with very hot water would seem less than ideal.

Keep your old boiler. Apart from lifting the roof of the house every time it ignited it never missed a beat, was never serviced either.

I was conned into spending a little bit extra in the belief that I would be buying a top class product.

All I can say is if Worcester is the one to beat, I truly fear for the boiler industry. Been nothing but trouble and tonight, having been repaired before Xmas, is dripping water again from beneath the housing. British Gas fitted, annually serviced and repaired and an absolute, utter pile of shite. Apparently, they have plastic valve fittings (or similar - my eyes started to glaze over when the engineer was explaining its unreliability) which when dealing with very hot water would seem less than ideal.

Keep your old boiler. Apart from lifting the roof of the house every time it ignited it never missed a beat, was never serviced either.

Well said and if you're a consumer not an installer even better. Worcester boilers are not all they're hyped up to be. The product has seriously gone downhill over the past 15yrs.

There is a little story about Worcester. Several years ago their parent company, Bosch, bought a Dutch boiler company by the name of Buderus  and after buying the company  Bosch realised they had such a superb product line it would be time to release the Buderus product line in the UK, this was roughly 10yrs ago, at this time Worcester's reliability was beginning to slip and Worcester's own board could see the writing on the wall. Buderus started to get a foothold in the UK market and Worcester were getting worried so much so they seriously started badgering Bosch's board to withdraw Buderus from the UK market because Worcester were beginning to like very ordinary and about 3yrs ago the domestic Buderus brand was removed from the UK market.

From a gas engineers point of view Buderus boilers were an absolute dream to work on and easy to fit.

If they were still around they'd be my top pick

1. Buderus

2. Viessmann

3. Remaha 

Archived