IGNORED

What Happened To The The 51 Club?

Nogbad the Bad

The 51 Club was quite prominent in my early City supporting days in the '70's, with it's own sign and entrance in the Grandstand.

From memory it was an exclusive, elevated, section of the Supporters Club, with it's own premises and very limited membership.

Seemed to be reserved for our more affluent fans - mostly successful local businessmen and their wives - of a type seen as potential directors of the club in waiting. No doubt membership by invitation only.

Weren't the likes of Ken Sage and Derryn Coller part of it before they helped save the club in '82?

Presumably it's long gone - can anyone shed more light on the 51 Club, why it was formed, when it ceased to be, and why?

The 51 Club was quite prominent in my early City supporting days in the '70's, with it's own sign and entrance in the Grandstand.

From memory it was an exclusive, elevated, section of the Supporters Club, with it's own premises and very limited membership.

Seemed to be reserved for our more affluent fans - mostly successful local businessmen and their wives - of a type seen as potential directors of the club in waiting. No doubt membership by invitation only.

Weren't the likes of Ken Sage and Derryn Coller part of it before they helped save the club in '82?

Presumably it's long gone - can anyone shed more light on the 51 Club, why it was formed, when it ceased to be, and why?

I think it was named after when it was formed, 1951, Noggers.

For many years, my dad was its treasurer and - judging by some pictures I've seen - it was obviously a place for some fabulous piss-ups!!!

You are right in saying that its subs were set at a level where you had to have a bit of cash to join (dad was an official so I think he didn't pay). 

I'm a bit vague about it, as I was only a nipper at the time. I think it was invitation only, but I may be wrong. It was certainly the fulcrum of some vicious infighting during the 79-82 period when the club directorship and backers just fell apart, and various factions were at each other's throats.

I know it was continuing during the Des Williams era, but as my pa is no longer with us, I have no idea why (or if) it has gone now.

I have a sort of vague feeling it was replaced by something else with a similar function, but a different name. Might be wrong though.

I've always heard the 51 club mentioned when growing up. My grandad was a member and my dad used to have to kick a ball around the pitch when waiting around after games.

Never really understood what it was and why it isn't around today. Be interested in some insight.

I also think I have a 51club bottle of beer at home somewhere. Unopened.

Thanks for the replies Robbo and sodbury. - I did wonder when I posted this if there would be any.

Robbo, I suppose despite the vicious infighting of 79-82 the 51 Club did at least eventually throw up saviours of the club in the form of Sage and Coller.

Haven't heard mention of it in any form these days sodbury, and as you say more insight into it's raison d'etre and demise would be interesting.

Looks like the Lansdown Club is the modern day equivalent?

http://www.bristol-sport.co.uk/business/lansdown-club/

Well found. That is the organisation that I was vaguely aware of.

Obviously being 2015 it's a bit more corporate than the old 51 Club and (now) with rugger buggers included as well.

I still have dad's old 51 Club tie. Maroon with a 70s club crest on it. P'raps I'll wear it to Wembley. Round me head!

My mates dad was in it.....we are talkin mid 70s when I started going and I recall he drove a lovely Jag and as a kid I remember how comfy it was. The membership got them a good parking space, entry to the lounge area, "grub and booze" as he used to say, and the seat in the stand. In those days I stood in the schoolboy enclosure...50p a time !! 

Archived