IGNORED

Stay On Target...

Manon

Of course, there are situations where inevitable six pointers arise, but I still maintain that with regards to points amassing - and ultimately promotion - where those points are gathered matters not.

All we have to do is stay on the same trajectory, hit the targets below and there's nothing and no one who can stop us.

We currently average 2.16 points per game.

So...

After 30 games we would want near on 65pts.

After 35 games we would want near on 76pts.

After 40 games we would want near on 87pts.

Stating the obvious perhaps, but there is always a needless but understandable focus on individual fixtures such as Mk Dons and Swindle, when in reality we can afford to ignore all that and just can keep on plugging away building points.

If we hit that last milestone then we're home and dry.

Surely if we lose to MK Dons then that gives them a higher points total that we need to aim for than if we beat them..? Same with Swindon.

6 pointers are very real and sometimes simply not losing a game can be very valuable.

Obviously I hope we beat them both!

Surely if we lose to MK Dons then that gives them a higher points total that we need to aim for than if we beat them..? Same with Swindon.

6 pointers are very real and sometimes simply not losing a game can be very valuable.

I would take a draw all day long v MK especially if we win today

Not necessarily. It depends on w hat MKDons do in their other matches.

Statistically, it is important to remember that there is a finite number of points available to all clubs in total across the season. That number became variable when three points for a win was introduced, because a win match is now worth three points in total, whereas a drawn match is only worth two matches in total. However, for three clubs to end with a substantial number of points (say over 90) is statistically very unlikely. It would require clubs beneath to be doing a lot worse than usual. I think it is almost unthinkable that a club will fail to get automatic promotion with 90 points so it doesn't matter who the points are won against.

I think 92 points will do us, for instance W12 D2 L7. I can't see us being beaten seven times, so say we lose four, then we need W11 D6 L4. ( which would give us 93 points). the fact that the other teams have played two goes more than us is highly significant.

To sum up: it's in our own hands; 11 or 12 wins should be enough; today's match is the sort we need to win.

Archived