IGNORED

The Best Player To Come Out Of Our Academy ?

Major Isewater

He came through Chelsea's academy if I remember rightly.

LL was only ever a Schoolboy on Chelsea's books before being released. He played for our Academy in a trial at Cwmbran, came on at half-time to score all our goals in a 5-1 win and was taken on as an Academy Scholar. 

As others have pointed out Liam Rosenior is obviously the most successful of City Academy graduates to date. Who might be "the best" is a more subjective question but let's all hope the answer for now proves to be Joe Bryan.

Sorry Monkeh, doesn't really matter I know, but according to this he played for us against Blackpool in August 2002. Aged 17.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=32646&season_id=132

By the way here is a list of players to come from academy -

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/academy-history-406809.aspx?pageView=full

Some forgotten names there! I thought Clist was quite a good player, was a bit disappointed when we let him go. Ditto several of the others on that list, few of whom have really gone on to better things.

How much would he be paid playing for Weston? Would he have to have a proper job?

Weston are the lowest payers in the Conference South. Threw a load of money at it in recent years and the Chairman said enough is enough. Which is why I'm surprised Mickey Bell took the job. They have a very young squad too which also keeps the wages down. Their players will have full time jobs - and yet only a league below the Horse Punchers!! Funnily enough they have picked up since Bell got sacked and should avoid relegation which is an achievement given the budget (or lack of).

Have you seen a Scottish Div3 game?

We hear so many opinions of it...I'll bet 99% of posters have not. These are part-timers or amateurs, pretty much playing for village sides.

Not having a dig, by the way!

I've played sevens with lads on the books of Scottish Division Three (as was) before, and being I'm far from being great, I can't say they were much better (albeit they had noticeably much better general fitness/stamina than your average player).  And having played armature football in England, I'd not say the standard was significantly higher, to be honest.

In fact, I carry a scar from an 'accidental' head butt by a then-current Greenock Motron player, who was playing as a ringer in his pal's fives team one evening (was a cup night), and they were a Scottish Championship team at the time.  He was pretty decent though, to be fair; just didn't like getting tackled by an English bloke who was a close to a foot taller than him...

EDIT - Also watched Queen's Park a fair bit when a friend's nephew was playing for them, and as that standard was Scottish Division Two and awful, I'd wager the full games in Div Three were worse.  

Archived