IGNORED

Inflatables

finbarr_in_z

Completely off at a tangent, but this does seem a little over the top (click on the link for the picture):-

http://lockerdome.com/awaydays/6169470909558849/7398955126377745

Grimsby Town fan thrown out of Forest Green for having an inflatable.

A Grimsby Town was forcibly ejected at Forest Green yesterday before the game had even kicked off for messing around with a large inflatable football.

The ejection caused anger amongst the away fans as the man was put into a headlock by one steward while several others forced him out.

Eye witnesses commented on social media how shocked they were by the treatment the fan received.

Of course if it had been a  :gasmask:  inflateable Pirate (or whatever odd items they would be likely to take) then it would be entirely justified.

It's time that thugs like those so called stewards  were charged with assault and banned for life from all football matches.

Using a choke hold might even leave him open to a charge of attempted murder , as far as i'm concerned.

Quite. Bullies in uniform. I include ours in that too.

Was it not Grimsby Town fans all jumping up and down with inflatable haddocks a few years back in the FA Cup.

Didn't they start the trend in late 80s? Remember seeing inflatable bananas everywhere one season

Didn't they start the trend in late 80s? Remember seeing inflatable bananas everywhere one season

At one time everybody had inflatables, anything that could be inflated was and taken to matches, mostly footballs, hammers, baseball bat type things but there were also lots of dolphins and air beds, and ahem, blow up 'dolls'. It certainly was colourful. People would dress their inflatables up in their club shirts, add hats and scarves. It was just a fun thing at the time. They would get thrown around the terraces and it added to already great atmospheres.

You are right, I think bananas started it off, can't remember why right now, maybe an anti racist thing or just for a laugh. I think around that time there had been the Heysel disaster, Bradford fire, and football was feeling a sad dark place then, so someone somewhere managed to put a bit of fun back.

Many clubs had inflatables to reflect their mascot or nickname, think the gas has pirates and swords. what did we end up with...well the manager at the time was Joe Jordan and we came up with the club ordering inflatable teeth. There was a lot of hype at the time about when they would be on sale etc in the shop, it was for some big name, when they arrived I remember disappointment and embarrassment as the teeth was some sort of single white cone shape meant to be a single fang. Without knowing it was a tooth you wouldn't know what it was, compared to other clubs inflatables we looked pretty stupid (BS forerunner).

As far as I know they usually use nlbr stewards

Highly unlikely with both teams at home on the same day!

This guy was at the match with his 15 year old daughter, who witnessed him being dragged out of the ground by stewards. Maybe this incident will highlight the need for these high-viz thugs to be reined in.

On the risk access meant front, what actual harm was a inflatable ball doing?!!!

Ok it might have found its way onto the field of play during the game, but as soon as it did that it could have been removed and not returned, or returned at half time until it happened again.

Flags and now inflatables removed, football has gone to pot.

The 2 reasons that steward does the job. 1.He can be a thug and get paid for it. 2. He has an inferiority complex and most probably small manhood. Totally OTT reaction but to him...well...par for the course.Hopefully Dale Vince will SACK HIM.

Don't know but the large bloke to the left certainly looks like a steward that has graced the gate before

Yes, he used to work in the East end, now he is in the Williams singing section. He is actually a really decent bloke, he is also a city supporter and often wears a badge on his tie.

I'll ask him later to see what his side of the story is, unless he has been told to keep quiet. As for the other steward who grabbed the bloke around the neck, he should be sacked.

Archived