IGNORED

City Fans Alienated .

Major Isewater

For so many years our football club has flattered to deceive.The only certainty was that we'd find a way to cock it up .We took comfort in our frailtys and knew not to expect too much .

Now this .

Top of the league ,a Wembley final ,playing like a team of winners.

This is not the club we all know and love .What is happening ?

It's too good to be true .

We're City ,we're top of the league , i still have to look each time to reassure myself that it's not some joke .

It must be like this for the old Man. City supporters who have had their lives spent in the shadows of Man. Utd suddenly to be transformed into Champions and challenging for everything .

It's like coming home and finding your adorable wife turned into a Hollywood movie star .It takes a bit of getting used to .

Do i wish we rest the great underperformers ? Not a bit of it but it is all the same a very strange feeling to be a City supporter right now .

For so many years our football club has flattered to deceive.The only certainty was that we'd find a way to cock it up .We took comfort in our frailtys and knew not to expect too much .

Now this .

We're City ,we're top of the league , i still have to look each time to reassure myself that it's not some joke .

It must be like this for the old Man. City supporters who have had their lives spent in the shadows of Man. Utd suddenly to be transformed into Champions and challenging for everything .

It's like coming home and finding your adorable wife turned into a Hollywood movie star .It takes a bit of getting used to .

Do i wish we rest the great underperformers ? Not a bit of it but it is all the same a very strange feeling to be a City supporter right now .

That is probably the sort of things fans in 1954/55 said..................

That is probably the sort of things fans in 1954/55 said..................

I was 11 years old at the start of the 1954-55 promotion season. I don't remember much about fans comments but City had been knocking on the door for several years. A big difference to the last four before SC arrived.

But football in the 1950's was totally different. Fans discussed the players strengths and weaknesses but probably not to the same depth because most of it was done in local pubs and workplaces. Only news media with regular daily coverage were the local papers. Evening World and Evening Post and Saturday Pink/Green Un

As for resting players, that concept was unheard of. If a player was not performing, he was dropped!

But in that season, City only used some 17 players and some only had a small hand full of games.

Two goalkeepers only because Tony Cook broke his arm in November so we borrowed Bob Anderson from Rovers.

Mike Thresher replaced Jack Bailey who I think also broke an arm.

Tommy Burden arrived from Leeds in October and Arthur Milton from Arsenal in February.

The blip in form was three defeats on the trot at New Year, one of which was 1-4 at nearest rivals Leyton Orient. Plus a home defeat by Southend in first round of FA Cup.

But by end of February, most City fans were convinced that the 3rd South championship was won. Remember only one team promoted.

City went up with a record 70 points.

I loved it that year and am really looking forward to the same outcome in early May.

I was 11 years old at the start of the 1954-55 promotion season. I don't remember much about fans comments but City had been knocking on the door for several years. A big difference to the last four before SC arrived.

But football in the 1950's was totally different. Fans discussed the players strengths and weaknesses but probably not to the same depth because most of it was done in local pubs and workplaces. Only news media with regular daily coverage were the local papers. Evening World and Evening Post and Saturday Pink/Green Un

As for resting players, that concept was unheard of. If a player was not performing, he was dropped!

But in that season, City only used some 17 players and some only had a small hand full of games.

Two goalkeepers only because Tony Cook broke his arm in November so we borrowed Bob Anderson from Rovers.

Mike Thresher replaced Jack Bailey who I think also broke an arm.

Tommy Burden arrived from Leeds in October and Arthur Milton from Arsenal in February.

The blip in form was three defeats on the trot at New Year, one of which was 1-4 at nearest rivals Leyton Orient. Plus a home defeat by Southend in first round of FA Cup.

But by end of February, most City fans were convinced that the 3rd South championship was won. Remember only one team promoted.

City went up with a record 70 points.

I loved it that year and am really looking forward to the same outcome in early May.

When I'm a senior statesman, I'm going to love talking about the days of Shaun Taylor or Scott Murray to they gert youngn's!

Hopefully, I'll be speaking of a sad time when football was whored, we all went Thatcherite and the people's fun was no more and how lucky they are to be so full of spirit, individuality and possibility! How we struggled for their rights to it!

When I'm a senior statesman, I'm going to love talking about the days of Shaun Taylor or Scott Murray to they gert youngn's!

Hopefully, I'll be speaking of a sad time when football was whored, we all went Thatcherite and the people's fun was no more and how lucky they are to be so full of spirit, individuality and possibility! How we struggled for their rights to it!

Hear, hear!

Now this .

I dunno... i mean its not as if this is unscaled heights. We've won promotion from this level many a time before and we've all had a similar buzz that the club is finally going places...then we have failed to build on it. Dont get me wrong, this season has been wonderful but I wont believe that this club has finally turned the corner its spent 35 years trying to turn until we are established as a top championship club with our stadium fully rebuilt and with crowds pushing 20k. I believe we can achieve all of these things but lets not get ahead of ourselves. First step, get out of this hellhole league!

So long as you don't go on about your 3 divorces, the Thatcher years and your dog dying.

Archived