IGNORED

The Official Bristol City V Sheffield United Match Day Thread

Rivers, hills and sandstone defines the history of Sheffield and, because of it, steel. Without the fast flowing water of the River Sheaf, Don and others running off the hills and the abundance of sandstone in which to make grindstones perhaps the industry would never have flourished in the steel city. Birmingham would probably have usurped them. And so it was that opportunity brought people and people brought wealth and then wealth brought the need for recreation for the masses pouring out of the industrial plants each and every day. The football clubs of Sheffield would not have flourished, as they have previously done, without those core ingredients.

As far back as Edward III in 1340 we know that Sheffield Cutlery was made. And at its peak, in the late 19th century, as many as 15,000 people were directly employed in the trade. Stainless steel was invented in Sheffield but not until 1915 (or 1913 by some accounts) by a local metallurgist called Harry Brearley and remains, of course, the standard world wide. By the addition of chromium to the largely carbon mixture he managed to produce a metal that was resistant to rust and greatly helped the war effort. An Unsung hero in my eyes.

Brammall Lane opened in 1855 and predates the formation of the Blades by some 34 years; the ground was first used for cricket and later for Sheffield FC which, being formed in 1857, was before Notts County. Remarkably Sheffield United won the First Division title in 1898 just 9 years after they were formed. A feat they have not repeated since although they have been FA Cup winners on 4 occasions the last in 1925. 

So fast forward to today and the question I have for everyone is why are they so inconsistent this season? Or, put another way, why are they behaving just like Derby when Clough was there? They seem to be always 'on the verge' and then they fall back. Clough reminds me a little of Danny Wilson in that regard.. he cannot quite get them over the line. Many managers seem to have this trait of being 'nearly successful' .

I still think the Blades have probably got enough, maybe because of their 12th man, to finish inside the top 6th but i cannot see, for the life of me, how they will finish any higher than 5th.

Today marks yet another marker for us to stake our claim to the title and to see if one of the more fancied teams succeed in bossing us into a draw. I feel that may happen unless, as per usual, we simply take the game to them from the off in our usual (secret) fashion.

Because United are so difficult to predict this game could go anyway from a tight draw to an easy win so perhaps I will just sit on the fence and say a narrow 3-1 win for us ;)

To all those going to the match today roar us on to victory.

UTC

• Like 5

Cheers all.. 'best matchday thread' Red?.. throwing down a challenge to me there for next time. An evening of Valentines gets in my way for this match day.. right pain in the posterior.. might not be here until after the match is over but will read all the pages of this thread so as to feel the build up and the match itself. u ridddddddzzzzzzzzz.

Cheers all.. 'best matchday thread' Red?.. throwing down a challenge to me there for next time. An evening of Valentines gets in my way for this match day.. right pain in the posterior.. might not be here until after the match is over but will read all the pages of this thread so as to feel the build up and the match itself. u ridddddddzzzzzzzzz.

Havana, you hid your light as the Master Match Day Thread starter under a bushel for far too long.

Your task now is to maintain this high standard every match under the watchful eye of an expectant forum.

Good luck with that - IF we're playing them next season, and you're looking to vary it a bit, a mention of Tony Currie might not go amiss.

2-1 to City, Freeman and Flint.  :yes:

• Like 1