IGNORED

Tories To Introduce Slave Labour

myol'man

It basically amounts to privatised welfare; many of the functions they want them to carry out are privatised, so either the government will be subsidising private companies or the private companies will be subsidising welfare (at less than minimum wage no doubt), and because these functions are being performed incredibly cheaply for private companies, said companies won't have to employ anyone officially to fulfil their contracts, meaning there are less jobs for the unemployed people to apply for- not that they'll have a great deal of time to apply for jobs working 30 hours a week

I'm all for long-term unemployed having to contribute something to the local community for their benefits in certain circumstances, but as you point out in the title of your post, it's one rung above state-sponsored slavery

I think people should earn their keep. Money isn't free, their dole is paid for by tax payers, who worked to pay that tax. There would be a lot of other social benefits to workfare. I'm sure we all know housing estates where you have two generations of families that have barely ever worked, imo it's morally wrong.

I was reading about the USA population they other day, it's over 2 million and a lot of them are basically doing slave labour on production lines for corporations.  We wouldn't want it to get like that in the UK.

Sources:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2014/03/americas-prison-population

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-prison-industry-in-the-united-states-big-business-or-a-new-form-of-slavery/8289

Spot on! - It makes me laugh when you here the great un-washed say 'oh can't wait until tomorrow' it's payday. No payday is when you get paid for doing something like going to work everyday you lazy shite. Not sat at home cracking one off and watching Jeremy Kyle.

This is a good idea but they should be put to work doing things like up keep of green spaces, littler collecting, projects helping the homeless. Perhaps you rope charities in who can sign off the 30 hours volunteer work so they can claim. What you don't want is them working for companies, filling the shoes of someone who actually works there, making the problem worse.  

Archived