IGNORED

Russian Bombers On The South Coast

chivers88

They did something similar around the North Sea coast a few weeks ago. Very worrying. Would be fairly sure that Putin isn't planning an attack just trying to be scary and warn us off. He seems to be succeeding. The West needs to sort out a credible policy re Ukraine - whether to let it go or support the Ukrainian Government. My money's on Putin.

British fighter jets had to be scrambled to warn of Russian bombers along the south coast could be seen as an act of war by the Russians wonder if the U.S. would have our backs then

I'm sure they'd come in after the statutory two years and charge us for the privilege.

My dads bigger than your dad, ruskies are riding rough shod over the Ukraine; a line in the sand must be drawn in Europe; counties must not be allowed to be taken by force only the ballot box.

We all need to make a stand for what we believe in, freedom of choice

on a more serious note is anyone suprised? nato and the west have been provoking russa for ages placing weapons on their boarders for example,

sadly if russia were to start a war there is nothing we can do about it as the govenment have cut our arm forces so much we couldn't defend the uk let alone europe,

on a more serious note is anyone suprised? nato and the west have been provoking russa for ages placing weapons on their boarders for example,

Where?  Russia had a cry about the missile shield that would have been partly in Poland.  We have few if any troops in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. 

sadly if russia were to start a war there is nothing we can do about it as the govenment have cut our arm forces so much we couldn't defend the uk let alone europe,

The Russians don't have the capability to invade the UK, let alone get here by sea with a meaningful force that can be resuplied. We have the 5th largest defence budget in the world, and an armed force that is more than capable of defending this country against pretty much anyone but the Yanks.

BCR said most of what I wanted to, but as a number of countries on Russia's borders are Nato countries, they have every right to have defensive systems within their own territory, particularly with the way Putin is acting.

The Russians are paranoid about Nato. They invaded Georgia when its then-president made some noises about joining the alliance (and instituted regime change) and it's fear of a Nato-affiliated Ukraine as much as anything that is driving their actions there.

Out on surveillance to try and identify the precise location of the Cornish Pasty mine. Wonder they haven't got better things to do with their time what with ISIS, Ukraine et al.

I think they were looking for the Lektor that Number 1 stole from them in the 1960's.

It's just some old school Cold War tactics. Pretty sure Putin is just reminding us that he's still there, but we will have to unite with Putin in a common interest against ISIS. If ISIS do head north to Turkey, only Georgia stands in the way of them getting into Southern Russia. Granted they are still thousands of miles from Moscow, but still, matter of principle.

I think you may find that, if there is a war (which God forbid), it will be orchestrated from Washington.

BCR said most of what I wanted to, but as a number of countries on Russia's borders are Nato countries, they have every right to have defensive systems within their own territory, particularly with the way Putin is acting.

The Russians are paranoid about Nato. They invaded Georgia when its then-president made some noises about joining the alliance (and instituted regime change) and it's fear of a Nato-affiliated Ukraine as much as anything that is driving their actions there.

Would you be paranoid about Russian troops stationed in Scotland?

Would you be paranoid about Russian troops stationed in Scotland?

If Scotland elected a government that wanted to become a member of CFS then you'd have to expect it.

The only Russian land border there are Nato ground forces on is Poland-Kalingrad. And given Russia's historic behaviour towards the Poles, that is hardly surprising.

There are Nato planes in the Baltic Republics, but the Nato ground forces there are those of the republics themselves. And tell me, do you think Moscow feels threatened by Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania or is it vice versa?

If Scotland elected a government that wanted to become a member of CFS then you'd have to expect it.

The only Russian land border there are Nato ground forces on is Poland-Kalingrad. And given Russia's historic behaviour towards the Poles, that is hardly surprising.

There are Nato planes in the Baltic Republics, but the Nato ground forces there are those of the republics themselves. And tell me, do you think Moscow feels threatened by Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania or is it vice versa?

No. But they do feel threatened by NATO (aka US) land forces in the Ukraine.

i don't think there are any nato forces in the ukraine

Not Yet!

No, seriously, there are no US, or even NATO, armed forces in Ukraine at present.

But I do find it interesting how, nevertheless and even in the absence of US/NATO armed forces, a democratically elected (but undoubtedly corrupt) leader can be hounded out of the country by force and fear of death, said country can be overtaken by 'rebels' and when, in an effort to protect his countrymen from a part of said country that, historically, was (and had been for many years) part of Russia; was Russian speaking and had retained a Russian culture, a certain Russian leader is pilloried by the Western media and, indeed, by Western governments!

I mean, just imagine the outrage if a Western country was to send armed forces to protect and recapture a small island many thousands of miles away in a far away, South-American continent because its inhabitants wished to be British, notwithstanding that they had 'been British' for many years.

Or even, and this, of course, is ludicrous, imagine if, following a major world war (in fact, it happened on at least two occasions!), several European countries combined to compel numerous arab tribes/families to forget their longstanding family/tribal relationships in order to embellish a war victory (for said European countries) and create new nations - to live happily together and simply forget their centuries old allegiances!

'No, really, believe us - you will love this. Look, here is a river and this now divides your two countries. I know Uncle Abdul lives on the other side of the river, but, look, we will give your country a name; you can be called X and you can be called Y and ....

Many years later, ISIS decides that it is not happy with these western imposed rules and decides to react.   

Not Yet!

No, seriously, there are no US, or even NATO, armed forces in Ukraine at present.

But I do find it interesting how, nevertheless and even in the absence of US/NATO armed forces, a democratically elected (but undoubtedly corrupt) leader can be hounded out of the country by force and fear of death, said country can be overtaken by 'rebels' and when, in an effort to protect his countrymen from a part of said country that, historically, was (and had been for many years) part of Russia; was Russian speaking and had retained a Russian culture, a certain Russian leader is pilloried by the Western media and, indeed, by Western governments!

I mean, just imagine the outrage if a Western country was to send armed forces to protect and recapture a small island many thousands of miles away in a far away, South-American continent because its inhabitants wished to be British, notwithstanding that they had 'been British' for many years.

Or even, and this, of course, is ludicrous, imagine if, following a major world war (in fact, it happened on at least two occasions!), several European countries combined to compel numerous arab tribes/families to forget their longstanding family/tribal relationships in order to embellish a war victory (for said European countries) and create new nations - to live happily together and simply forget their centuries old allegiances!

'No, really, believe us - you will love this. Look, here is a river and this now divides your two countries. I know Uncle Abdul lives on the other side of the river, but, look, we will give your country a name; you can be called X and you can be called Y and ....

Many years later, ISIS decides that it is not happy with these western imposed rules and decides to react.

Sorry, but protect them from what? There was no aggression from the new Ukranian government towards Eastern Ukraine because the Crimea and then Donetsk both tried to break away before the new Kiev government had even been properly formed

And I find the excusing of Russian aggression towards Ukraine (and before that Georgia) on the grounds that "you can't blame them because their neighbours were joining NATO/the EU" laughable; they're sovriegn nations with democratically elected government and can do as they please. The Soviet Union collapsed 25 years ago and Russian influence should only be by the grace of their former territories. At the end of the day, there are not NATO or EU troops fighting in Eastern Ukraine, but there are Russian ones (as well as tanks and artillery) by the boat load

Putin is acting like a spoilt child. He wasn't playing with Ukraine but he threw a tantrum when another kid tried to play with it. Spoilt children throwing tantrums shouldn't be appeased, they should be chastised.

Not Yet!

Or even, and this, of course, is ludicrous, imagine if, following a major world war (in fact, it happened on at least two occasions!), several European countries combined to compel numerous arab tribes/families to forget their longstanding family/tribal relationships in order to embellish a war victory (for said European countries) and create new nations - to live happily together and simply forget their centuries old allegiances!

Your grasp of geography is a bit out there, Phil. The Donbass basin has never been part of Russia per se. It was just a Ukrainian backwater until coal was discovered there and it became a major industrial area under both the Tsarist and Soviet empires. In that time lots of people from different areas moved there for work, and the lingua franca became Russian.

Yanukovych (the ousted leader) was of Belorussian origin for instance, whereas Timoshenko (the president before, who Yanukovych had imprisoned on trumped-up charges) was also from Donetsk, but of largely Latvian descent.

In other countries we applaud the removal of tyrants, but for some reason in Kiev it gets branded as "EU meddling".

Read about the Yanukovych regime and you'll see why tens of thousands of people risked their lives to boot him out. Manipulated elections, ballots not counted, opponents imprisoned, state resources given to relatives and cronies, money stolen from the treasury to construct his ridiculous toy-town palace. The guy was a Slavic Mugabe, like the tyrants in neighbouring Belarus, Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan. Of course people felt compelled to act, and they didn't need the EU or Nato to give them permission.

Ironically, with the Ukrainian economy stagnant for 20-years since independence, Yanukovych himself had approached the EU to seek articles of association. This doesn't mean Ukraine would've joined the EU, it would meet very few membership criteria, but it would have had a trade deal that opened the community to Ukrainian agricultural produce and allowed us to sell there more easily.

Then Yanukovych had a meeting with his mentor, Mr Putin, and the deal - which could have brought considerable economic benefits to his people was suddenly shelved. This led to a parliamentary revolt against him, which spread to demonstrations on the street. You know the rest...

Archived