IGNORED

And Still They Don't Get It

Esmond Million's Bung

and what these 2 snivelling pieces of shit have said today. 
Rifkind thinks he's entitled and Straw is pissed off because he got caught.

"I do also want to have the standard of living that my professional background would normally entitle me to have"
Sir Malcolm Rifkind 

"I'm mortified by the fact that I fell into this trap set by a very skilful journalist"
Jack Straw 

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-31589202

... and not just any two snivelling pieces of shit either. Ex Foreign Secretaries both. Time the sanction for this stuff was greater - immediate suspension from Parliament pending independent investigation, criminal proceedings and prison if guilt proved.

I like Terry Prachett's line from "The Last Continent".

"Here in Fourecks, we send politicians to jail as soon as they're elected. Saves time, mate."

I've always believed no second jobs. A simple rule. Oh, and a full working week without the collosall holidays.

Mon-Thurs in Westminster, Friday constituency surgeries.

Staff, office sundries, accommodation, provided directly by the taxpayer. None of this "my wife is my secretary, my dog is my political researcher" bollocks.

You furnish and decorate your own home from your salary - just like everyone else.

I've always believed no second jobs. A simple rule. Oh, and a full working week without the collosall holidays.

Staff, office sundries, accommodation, provided directly by the taxpayer. None of this "my wife is my secretary, my dog is my political researcher" bollocks.

You furnish and decorate your own home from your salary - just like everyone else.

Hence the expression "The political researcher's bollocks" ;)

Seriously, I totally agree. Mind you, that would imply a serious pension for ex-MP's but it would be worth it to have them doing a full time job.

Living as I do in what is, to all intents and purposes, a failed state (Italy) where democracy is debased and members of parliament have awarded themselves eye watering privileges, insane benefits and salaries, and are compromised on every level by back-handers, and having lived part-time and run a business in that lovable Securitate old boys network commonly known as Romania from 1999 to 2007, the shenanigans of these two vile creatures initially felt like two naughty schoolboys were caught having a fag behind the bike sheds.

However the longer I stay out of the UK the more reasonable and decent it seems, despite all the problems: the UK has a history worth defending and a culture worth fighting for. So, from a culturalist / soft Nationalist perspective I would hang these leeches by their gonads in Trafalgar Square, as punishment for the weakening their actions have caused of the authority of Parliament and for any possible knock-on effect (Straw, you arse, you traitor ....) and for chipping away at the image of the UK.  I would then give a time-limited amnesty for all the other arses that are involved in sort of thing to own-up. After that ... the gloves would be off. 

I'm not sure they have "under the rules of the House" done anything wrong. You are allowed to act as a "consultant". If they'd have signed a contract they would have to declare it, but I'm not sure how illegal anything they've done is.  (God it pains me to say that about Straw and snobby Rifkind!)

Morally though, it's a whole different case. I'd love to see the parties suspend all their members who hold consultancies. The bloody benches would be even more empty than they are now!

The only way forward is to shine some beautifully clear light into the present murky muddle of MPs other jobs along the lines I suggest above. Of course, you'd have to reward proper professional MPs for doing a proper job, as Aiz suggests.  We don't need nearly as many as we've got though: 500 would do fine, I'd have thought.

Amen to that.  These rats have proved time and again that they will do absolutely anything for personal gain if it's not specifically forbidden by rules so rules we should give them.  No moonlighting, no employing family or friends, no other business interests, no conflict of interests.  It's not hard, it's a personal integrity thing that most people are capable of living up to without draconian rules but apparently these self entitled vermin aren't.  Apathy will rule however...

Agree with all that, although I would add that there should be less of them, say 500 not 650. Not a popular opinion but we could probably do to pay them properly as well so that their salaries are competitive with some professions - much of the expense fiddling in the past was kind of tolerated to compensate for the fact that increases in MPs' pay was politically difficult.

If they worked hard all week (48 weeks a year) they wouldn't have the time or the energy to be doing second jobs, after dinner speaking etc.

Absolute bare minimum travel expenses, and only for those whose constituencies are over certain mileage away. No expenses for food etc (you have to eat wherever you are at some point). If you want a cleaner etc you pay for them yourself or do it yourself.

So yes pay them a bit more, get a better standard. But give them a bit more to do by cutting the numbers. And they pay for almost everything from that wage. Maybe by 'keeping it real' they will be more in touch with the majority of people living and working in the UK, not just the elite few.

Having watched the Channel 4 programme last night and reading his ridiculous excuse, Rifkind is obviously ****** and knows, he has resigned as chairman of the intelligence committee and will stand down as an MP at the next election.

Straw is slightly different but ill judged, ill informed and should now be blocked from the reward he is 'expecting but not officially been told about' of a seat in the Lords. He is likely to have further questions to answer anyway once the Chillcott whitewash is finally released.

Archived