IGNORED

Player Ratings

chipdawg

No one seems to have done this so I'll start. Solid performance from the lads, good at the back with Pack and Freeman running the show. I think a better manager than Dickov could get more out of the players Donny have, but no complaints from me

Fielding 7- no chance with the goal, confident performance

Ayling 7- decent, solid performance

Flint 7- not really troubled, dominant in the air

Williams 8- really composed, good on the ball, gave nothing away. Still developing but destined to play at a higher level IMO

Little 6- struggled to get behind their left back, who played well. Got a bit more space later on but doesn't seem to have anything beyond "knock it past them and run" which is a concern. I like him but it's a position I think we need to improve if promoted

Cunningham 7- solid performance defensively, good cross for the third, scored a penalty. Also had a header go just over in first half. Didn't affect the game for large periods though

Pack 8 MOM- ran the game from the base of midfield. Good screen and great range of passing. Exquisite cross field volley to set Cunningham away for the 3 rd goal. Would have been a 9 but for a couple of passes which put team mates under pressure

K Smith 6- not a bad game by normal standards, but not at his best. Struggled to get on the ball, lost it quite regularly. Hopefully just an off day

Freeman 8- is at the heart of everything good we do and seems to think about the game on a different level to other players. Needs to improve decision making but surely a top level player in the making? Not just about the skill either; great sliding tackle in the second half to stop a counter attack. My favourite city player for years

Wilbs 6- some great flicks and lay offs but struggled to get into it against 2 massive centre halves and doesn't look fit. Baffled as to why he wasn't take off until 90th minute but took his goal well and will get better

Agard 6- I'm not convinced that Agard has the ability for a team at the top of the league but what he brings to the team is important none the less. Ran the channels endlessly, created space for others and moved defenders around. Couldn't trap a bag of sand though which is worrying

Cotts 6- tactics spot on but what does he have against substitutions?! Wilbs was knackered and in danger of getting sent off after about 75 minutes but it was another 15 before Smith came on

Referee- let too many challenges go in the first half then couldn't control it in the 2nd when Donny got frustrated. Dire

Donny- dirty, cynical, talented but ill-disciplined. Butler is a complete ******. However, Main's goal is likely to be in the running for goal of the season

According to a few on the Donny site it was us who were the cynical, dirty, cheating barstewards who "over incited" the crowd after scoring!! And they said some really nasty things about our Manager. Apparently they hate us.

It hurts, badly, and I'm off for a cry - don't think I can cope with Doncaster not liking us!!

I'd push Wilbs and Agard up to 7 and drop Pack down to 7.

Our midfield didn't really exist as an entity in itself as it was largely bypassed. Pack and Smith did an excellent job of screening the defence, and Pack did play a couple of superb passes, including the one for the third goal, and Freeman was a driving force in attack, but we didn't really play through midfield (presumably by design) so I'd drop the midfield scores slightly.

By contrast, I thought Wilbraham and Agard were excellent up front, chasing after everything and making sure that the ball stuck after it was cleared long from defence. The difference between the way they played and the way Smith & JET played in the FA Cup game at Doncaster was marked. I do agree that we'll need to recruit new strikers for next season as competition if not replacement, but they were both excellent last night.

Interestingly, the Donny fans I was listening to after the game singled out Mark Little as our most dangerous player. He did get in behind on a couple of occasions and was getting more joy towards the end of the match but he still looks a fairly limited player to me.

Listening to the radio it seemed like every time Agard touched the ball he fell over.

Did a good job of holding up the ball. He could maybe have been stronger and he didn't look a real goal-threat like Leroy Lita or similar but he stopped the ball coming straight back at the defence which makes a huge difference to the team. So long as he holds it for long enough for support to arrive it doesn't matter too much if he falls over or knocks it into touch.

There were a couple of naughty challenges from our lads in the second half, but similar could be said about them in the first. It was the constant shoves and pushes from them that was cynical. Constantly trying to disrupt our rhythm

how many teams have we had in recent years that have got bullied and just roll over? Finally we have a team that are tough in every department. Great to see at last.

The impression I have of Dickov is the same as the OP.

As for Cotts.. not sure how you can give him only 6 when we won and won comfortably. I would give him 10 every time we win frankly; what more do we want as football fans other than 3 points in the bag? Playing nice football already seems to be much of a given regardless.

No one seems to have done this so I'll start. Solid performance from the lads, good at the back with Pack and Freeman running the show. I think a better manager than Dickov could get more out of the players Donny have, but no complaints from me

Fielding 7- no chance with the goal, confident performance

Ayling 7- decent, solid performance

Flint 7- not really troubled, dominant in the air

Williams 8- really composed, good on the ball, gave nothing away. Still developing but destined to play at a higher level IMO

Little 6- struggled to get behind their left back, who played well. Got a bit more space later on but doesn't seem to have anything beyond "knock it past them and run" which is a concern. I like him but it's a position I think we need to improve if promoted

Cunningham 7- solid performance defensively, good cross for the third, scored a penalty. Also had a header go just over in first half. Didn't affect the game for large periods though

Pack 8 MOM- ran the game from the base of midfield. Good screen and great range of passing. Exquisite cross field volley to set Cunningham away for the 3 rd goal. Would have been a 9 but for a couple of passes which put team mates under pressure

K Smith 6- not a bad game by normal standards, but not at his best. Struggled to get on the ball, lost it quite regularly. Hopefully just an off day

Freeman 8- is at the heart of everything good we do and seems to think about the game on a different level to other players. Needs to improve decision making but surely a top level player in the making? Not just about the skill either; great sliding tackle in the second half to stop a counter attack. My favourite city player for years

Wilbs 6- some great flicks and lay offs but struggled to get into it against 2 massive centre halves and doesn't look fit. Baffled as to why he wasn't take off until 90th minute but took his goal well and will get better

Agard 6- I'm not convinced that Agard has the ability for a team at the top of the league but what he brings to the team is important none the less. Ran the channels endlessly, created space for others and moved defenders around. Couldn't trap a bag of sand though which is worrying

Cotts 6- tactics spot on but what does he have against substitutions?! Wilbs was knackered and in danger of getting sent off after about 75 minutes but it was another 15 before Smith came on

Referee- let too many challenges go in the first half then couldn't control it in the 2nd when Donny got frustrated. Dire

Donny- dirty, cynical, talented but ill-disciplined. Butler is a complete ******. However, Main's goal is likely to be in the running for goal of the season

Thanks. Couldn't make this one so it's good to see what others thought. And I thought that (apart from Pack and K Smith) those scores and comments could pretty much apply to the whole season so far.

According to a few on the Donny site it was us who were the cynical, dirty, cheating barstewards who "over incited" the crowd after scoring!!

us!!

Remind me someone, was it at Donny or at S****horpe a few years back when we were treated to the lovely Billy Sharp celebrating provocatively in front of us, and then coming back for more when the game ended?

Remind me someone, was it at Donny or at S****horpe a few years back when we were treated to the lovely Billy Sharp celebrating provocatively in front of us, and then coming back for more when the game ended?

S****horpe.  Wasn't that Billy Sharp's 21st birthday, which Peter Beagrie didn't stop going on about on Sky?  It was that night when I first really took against Beagrie...

Yep, that was against Donny. I'm sure their fans were completely outraged about the crowd incitement..

Speaking of crowd incitement, I went to the game when they played Weston and it all kicked off, throwing bottles at stewards etc.. Lovely bunch

The impression I have of Dickov is the same as the OP.

As for Cotts.. not sure how you can give him only 6 when we won and won comfortably. I would give him 10 every time we win frankly; what more do we want as football fans other than 3 points in the bag? Playing nice football already seems to be much of a given regardless.

I appreciate it's a bit ridiculous to give Cotts 6 when we won so comfortably but keeping Wilbs on defied logic and he seems to have little confidence in making substitutions other than as a way to waste time. But then again who am I to question? He's not done a bad job this far

I appreciate it's a bit ridiculous to give Cotts 6 when we won so comfortably but keeping Wilbs on defied logic and he seems to have little confidence in making substitutions other than as a way to waste time. But then again who am I to question? He's not done a bad job this far

I think he wanted the opportunity to keep Wilbraham and Agard on for as long as possible to increase their game time. Had we not got the third goal when we did I think Smith would have come on sooner. As it was there was nothing wrong with the performance so the best use of the subs was time wasting.

Archived