IGNORED

Sky Sports News Bit Behind The Times !

Robiness

You would think so wouldn't you.

You would also think the BBC web site would manage to have no spelling or grammatical errors on any single page of theirs. 

I think the latter is worse, actually inexcusable, for our national broadcaster.

That picture is daft - and probably down to laziness.

Spelling and grammatical errors are down to human error though. We are all, after all, human.

That picture is daft - and probably down to laziness.

Spelling and grammatical errors are down to human error though. We are all, after all, human.

But writers of a national broadcaster the size of the BBC should be proof reading and checking their work thoroughly before publishing to such a large audience.

That's kind of part of their job... :yes:

But writers of a national broadcaster the size of the BBC should be proof reading and checking their work thoroughly before publishing to such a large audience.

That's kind of part of their job... :yes:

Good writers and subs should check their copy regardless of who they work for and the size of the audience. And, at the BBC, they do just that, trust me, but even the best of us make mistakes from time to time.

As alluded to, of course, some errors are inexcusable. But some are accidents or oversights, and entirely innocent.

Good writers and subs should check their copy regardless of who they work for and the size of the audience. And, at the BBC, they do just that, trust me, but even the best of us make mistakes from time to time.

As alluded to, of course, some errors are inexcusable. But some are accidents or oversights, and entirely innocent.

Always wondered this - what program / system do journalists use, isn't there the warnings on there like there is on Word, and here, that point out spelling mistakes / grammatical errors etc?

If someone is actually reading it I'm surprised there aren't more errors

And, to be honest, I don't see too many on the bbc websites. Not a dig, just asking.....

You would think so wouldn't you.

You would also think the BBC web site would manage to have no spelling or grammatical errors on any single page of theirs.

I think the latter is worse, actually inexcusable, for our national broadcaster.

How many times did you read and re-read that before posting, to make sure that there were no errors..?! ;)

Always wondered this - what program / system do journalists use, isn't there the warnings on there like there is on Word, and here, that point out spelling mistakes / grammatical errors etc?

If someone is actually reading it I'm surprised there aren't more errors

And, to be honest, I don't see too many on the bbc websites. Not a dig, just asking.....

In answer to the question it just depends, but from my experience they all have software like Word does, which picks up spelling errors.

I'd say journalists are usually guilty of spelling names and places wrong and of poor grammar more than anything else, and those things don't necessarily get detected.

The big challenge now is that, whereas in the past a journalist would have all day to smash out a couple of 400-word pieces for the following day's newspaper, news has become so instant that the time pressures are much greater, and so errors are more frequent.

When you're breaking a story online, in trying to get the copy published quickly it is very easy to let a spelling error or two through, red squiggly line or not. In theory, however, this should be picked up by a sub as the story develops - but as I said, human errors happen!

An online journalist may also be writing 10-15 stories in a day too now, which will play some part. Depends on the organisation.

Of course, errors are shit, I'm not disagreeing with that. But I think journalists are sometimes seen as machines, but we do make mistakes and, when we do, it doesn't mean we have an agenda or anything, it just means we've made a mistake!

Hope all of the above sheds some kind of fairly dull light!

Archived