IGNORED

Lj At Barnsley

Avalonred

Understandable move, leaves Oldham with a tick on his CV and goes to Barnsley now with a real chance of taking them to the playoffs or at least a top half finish with funds available next year.

At home to Swindon the other week Oldham had barely 3400, it is nigh on impossible to compete at the top of our current division with gates like that.

Barnsley aren't exactly Real Madrid but a successful side there would pull in about twice as many as Oldham.

He's jumped ship at Oldham and gone down the road to Barnsley!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31621401

Very surprised he was considered for the job.

Considering Oldham lost all their games in December, including back to back 4-0 and 7-0 thrashings, have lost their last two to Colchester and Orient, and stand just 2 points above Barnsley in mid table, you wonder what Barnsley's faith is based on.

Good luck to Lee anyway.

Considering Oldham lost all their games in December, including back to back 4-0 and 7-0 thrashings, have lost their last two to Colchester and Orient, and stand just 2 points above Barnsley in mid table, you wonder what Barnsley's faith is based on.

Good luck to Lee anyway.

A win percentage at Oldham that you have to go back to John Sheridan (06-09) to beat?

Good luck to Lee anyway.

Probably because LJ is working with one of the smallest budgets in the division.

Oldham lost one of their best players of last season to Shrewsbury, a team that were relegated to League Two FFS! They are skint and run by idiots judging by the whole Ched Evans affair.

Barnsley are a well run club with one of the biggest budgets in this division and already have some talented players.

LJ is young, upcoming and already receiving plaudits for his work. Plus, who else is really out there?

Good luck to Lee anyway.

From their own website - knowledge of the division, young, evidently knowledgable, sold them a plan, steadied a rocky ship at Oldham, capable of finding a rough diamond.

Probably because LJ is working with one of the smallest budgets in the division.

Oldham lost one of their best players of last season to Shrewsbury, a team that were relegated to League Two FFS!

And their captain to a team where he is one of the best players, helping to take them to the top of the table...!

Well I'd say he's extremely inexperienced, has had his ups and downs at Oldham, and has proved absolutely nothing yet.

I'm not sure what he's done at Oldham to be thought of as 'up and coming' - apart from being a young manager - he may, or may not go on to be a good one.

Quite a big gamble by Barnsley imo.

Well I'd say he's extremely inexperienced, has had his ups and downs at Oldham, and has proved absolutely nothing yet.

I'm not sure what he's done at Oldham to be thought of as 'up and coming' - apart from being a young manager - he may, or may not go on to be a good one.

Someone did explain it above...

Someone did explain it above...

Yep, thanks alot for that Dave.

I've read all the opinions above and taken them on board.

Doesn't change my thoughts on the matter though, will be very interesting to see how it goes for Lee from here.

I think what Barnsley might see in him is a young intelligent well mannered gentleman who guided Oldham to safety in his first 10 games with the club (they were looking pretty doomed until LJ came in and won 4 drew 3 of his first 8 matches and had them safe with 2 games to spare), then had to totally rebuild the squad (18 players out of contract) without a dime to spend, guided them to mid-table in his first full season, and now has improved them further, verging on the playoffs all season winning many plaudits for their style of play - again all without a dime and losing players such as Korey Smith, Jose Baxter, James Tarkowski, Johnson Clarke-Harris.

I think LJ has begun to make a good name for himself in management circles.

Good luck to Lee anyway.

The fact that he's taken a tiny, tinpot club to two points off the playoffs, on a shoestring budget, having lost their captain from last season?

I'd say he's done very well.

We also lost to Colchester and only got a point from our game against Orient.

Doesn't change my thoughts on the matter though, will be very interesting to see how it goes for Lee from here.

They've also had just four league finishes higher than the position they currently occupy in the last eighteen seasons according to Wiki.

For a very inexperienced manager to achieve that at the first time of asking, I'd say is quite some achievement and not to be belittled. 

They were also one of the better footballing sides at AG this season I thought. 

The fact that he's taken a tiny, tinpot club to two points off the playoffs, on a shoestring budget, having lost their captain from last season?

I'd say he's done very well.

We also lost to Colchester and only got a point from our game against Orient.

Not exactly impressive considering it's only 3 points better off than a team 8 places below, with the form he's left them in a few defeats could quite easily see them in a relegation fight, though I do see the teams already down there struggling to escape the drop, but not impossible.

Not exactly impressive considering it's only 3 points better off than a team 8 places below, with the form he's left them in a few defeats could quite easily see them in a relegation fight, though I do see the teams already down there struggling to escape the drop, but not impossible.

You can say that about any teams in a little run of bad form. Look how tight the championship is! A few defeats could put a hopeful playoff contender into the drop zone.

From what I gather LJs stock was rising rapidly at Oldham, and I'm not surprised to see a club like Barnsley take a little punt on him.

Did you not like him as a player here by chance?

Perhaps you don't fully understand just how brassic Oldham are? They're probably bottom 3 payers in the division.

Did you not like him as a player here by chance?

Perhaps you don't fully understand just how brassic Oldham are? They're probably bottom 3 payers in the division.

Always liked LJ, nothing against him at all. You're right that I have no idea about Oldham's wage structure.

I'm genuinely surprised any manager's stock can rise so sharply when they've achieved nothing of note.

He had a terrible wobble in December, 4 straight defeats, including 11 conceded in 2 consecutive games, when perhaps another couple of defeats would have seen his reputation and career going very much in the other direction.

It's a thin line, but he is a bright and chirpy chap and I guess he's got the gift of the gab at interviews, much like his Dad.

Anyway I'll leave this now. Yet again good luck to him.

Always liked LJ, nothing against him at all. You're right that I have no idea about Oldham's wage structure.

I'm genuinely surprised any manager's stock can rise so sharply when they've achieved nothing of note.

He had a terrible wobble in December, 4 straight defeats, including 11 conceded in 2 consecutive games, when perhaps another couple of defeats would have seen his reputation and career going very much in the other direction.

It's a thin line, but he is a bright and chirpy chap and I guess he's got the gift of the gab at interviews, much like his Dad.

Anyway I'll leave this now. Yet again good luck to him.

I think his stock rose so sharply because Oldham were/are an absolute mess. That was a helluva job for a first forray in to management and he has stabilised them with relative ease - that in itself is the achievement of note. Cup runs, transfer profits, keeping them in the top half this season are all added extras.

Yes there are purple patches, yes there are dry patches. That is not unique to Oldham and in fact every team suffers from that.

You are also quite right in that if poor form sustained his career/stock could have gone in a very different direction. But a couple of decades ago this Scottish bloke called Alex almost got the boot from his job until Mark Robins popped up with a goal. It's a fine line indeed but Lee did something that those who ultimately get the boot dont - he handled the pressure and turned the situation/poor form around.

What Lee has shown which is most impressive is a good eye in the transfer market, an ability to build a squad, an ability to rebuild a squad, and an ability to do that without breaking the bank. He has also got them playing good football, competing and finding themselves at the right end of the table and he managed to save them from relegation when he first arrived.

IMHO Barnsley are very fortunate to have him and I say that because I think he has done enough to merit serious consideration for the next couple of jobs that become available in the Championship.

Good luck to Lee anyway.

Highly rated by many in high places for his coaching skills, so I am told, and Kenny Dalglish recommend him for the Oldham job.

I think his stock rose so sharply because Oldham were/are an absolute mess. That was a helluva job for a first forray in to management and he has stabilised them with relative ease - that in itself is the achievement of note. Cup runs, transfer profits, keeping them in the top half this season are all added extras.

Yes there are purple patches, yes there are dry patches. That is not unique to Oldham and in fact every team suffers from that.

You are also quite right in that if poor form sustained his career/stock could have gone in a very different direction. But a couple of decades ago this Scottish bloke called Alex almost got the boot from his job until Mark Robins popped up with a goal. It's a fine line indeed but Lee did something that those who ultimately get the boot dont - he handled the pressure and turned the situation/poor form around.

What Lee has shown which is most impressive is a good eye in the transfer market, an ability to build a squad, an ability to rebuild a squad, and an ability to do that without breaking the bank. He has also got them playing good football, competing and finding themselves at the right end of the table and he managed to save them from relegation when he first arrived.

IMHO Barnsley are very fortunate to have him and I say that because I think he has done enough to merit serious consideration for the next couple of jobs that become available in the Championship.

Indeed, and, at about the same time, a certain Howard Kendall did the same thing at Everton - from (fading) memory a last gasp (FA Cup?) goal against Sheffield Wednesday.

Archived