IGNORED

Jack Stephens

Fatalist

Near enough for me.  I don't believe there is a strict geographical boundary and I've heard people from Devon and Cornwall say the same about Bristol in the past.  Gloucester is another example.   is that West Country or Midlands? I prefer to see a fuzzy boundary line rather than a hard line.  

I live 12 miles south of Gloucester and 20 north of Bristol. I consider it an insult to say I'm not west country. In fact the Midlands sucks. No offence intended to you fka dagest. 

Can I ask why? Purely because they are local? In the minority here for sure fella

Yep, it's purely local.   I don't like MK Dons for pretty obvious reasons.  Sheff Utd and Preston are just one more northern club.  I think the West Country/ west/ Wilts/Gloucs is pretty poorly represented at the moment in the football world and a lot of that football world looks down their noses at our area as bit of a footballing backwater.  I just think it would be good for the region generally.  Virtually every other part of the country, excepting perhaps Cumbria has at least a Championship representative.  Does that make sense?

I live 12 miles south of Gloucester and 20 north of Bristol. I consider it an insult to say I'm not west country. In fact the Midlands sucks. No offence intended to you fka dagest. 

I'm glad to hear you consider yourself West Country.  What I will say is that I've lived in Cheltenham in the past and I recall that not everyone considered themselves West Country.  I always felt it was right on the border.  Is that fair?

I'm glad to hear you consider yourself West Country.  What I will say is that I've lived in Cheltenham in the past and I recall that not everyone considered themselves West Country.  I always felt it was right on the border.  Is that fair?

Well lets put it this way I've got an oo arr as I du like cider in my accent and not God forbid a yaow yaow accent as in brummie which I consider midlands.

Difficult to tell where the midland border is but in my opinion it's not anywhere near me. So I'm a proud West Country man. :thumbsup:

I always used to laugh when the Argyle fans would call us "dirty northern bastards", It's all a question of perspective i guess. When you consider Plymouth is pretty much the same distance away as London, it's difficult to lump everyone in together as one "west country". I quite like the term, "gateway to the west" which leaves Swindon a long way out of any discussion of this nature.

Yep, it's purely local. I don't like MK Dons for pretty obvious reasons. Sheff Utd and Preston are just one more northern club. I think the West Country/ west/ Wilts/Gloucs is pretty poorly represented at the moment in the football world and a lot of that football world looks down their noses at our area as bit of a footballing backwater. I just think it would be good for the region generally. Virtually every other part of the country, excepting perhaps Cumbria has at least a Championship representative. Does that make sense?

I know what you're saying but I wouldn't ever want swindon to do well. In anything. The whole west country thing is a nice thing in an ideal world but wrongly or rightly I have absolutely no interest in anyone else other than us.

I would like someone like Plymouth to do well for example, but I can't share the enthusiasm for swindle

Yep, it's purely local.   I don't like MK Dons for pretty obvious reasons.  Sheff Utd and Preston are just one more northern club.  I think the West Country/ west/ Wilts/Gloucs is pretty poorly represented at the moment in the football world and a lot of that football world looks down their noses at our area as bit of a footballing backwater.  I just think it would be good for the region generally.  Virtually every other part of the country, excepting perhaps Cumbria has at least a Championship representative.  Does that make sense?

We are poorly represented that is very true and I think that's behind what SL is trying to achieve. Must say that Gloucester Cheltenham and in my area as well City have got a big fan base and always have as long as I can remember. Lets just hope that it all comes together with success on the pitch.

It's a well known fact that that West Country ends 30 miles East of where one was born. For those born in Penzance, it's a very small area.

It'd be interesting to hear posters' birthplaces, so we can put that theory to the test. I'm born and bred Bristol, and Swindon isn't West Country.

Near enough for me. I don't believe there is a strict geographical boundary and I've heard people from Devon and Cornwall say the same about Bristol in the past. Gloucester is another example. is that West Country or Midlands? I prefer to see a fuzzy boundary line rather than a hard line.

Gloucester is West Country as is Swindon. The Midlands start at Worcs.

Well, a lot of them certainly think it is judging by the

.. number of mockney "ahhs ya muvva?" type conversations I've overheard...

whilst wandering through that crappy shopping area near the station. Not quite as bad as Portsmouth though when it comes to cockney wannabes.

They actually compare their mothers? ..... The dirty bar stewards, worse than I thought, disgusting inbred animals. :)

Archived