IGNORED

Dave Mackay Rip

Just heard from a Derby fan, ex Spurs and Derby warhorse Dave Mackay apparently died today.

Most BCFC fans abiding memory is Johnny Quigley persuading the ref not to send Mackay off in our epic 1967 FA cup match at White Hart Lane.

A proper hard man, who never took a dive.

RIP

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/mar/02/dave-mackay-scotland-tottenham-hearts

Just heard from a Derby fan, ex Spurs and Derby warhorse Dave Mackay apparently died today.

Most BCFC fans abiding memory is Johnny Quigley persuading the ref not to send Mackay off in our epic 1967 FA cup match at White Hart Lane.

RIP

dave-mackay-grabs-billy-bremner-of-leeds

Any so-called hard man in the current game would crap themselves at this point.

RIP

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/mar/02/dave-mackay-scotland-tottenham-hearts

I as going to mention the Quig incident ! Can you imagine that happening today ?

Absolutely one of a select few footballers for whom the term LEGEND can truly and justifiably be attributed.

A much overused and often unwarranted word in the footballing World but in Dave Mackay's case any use of a lesser superlative would be inadequate...

Rest In Peace Dave Mackay LEGEND.

dave-mackay-grabs-billy-bremner-of-leeds

Any so-called hard man in the current game would crap themselves at this point.

You kinda wish it was the ilk of Joey Barton facing him in that picture.  Soon find out how tough he really is.

Thinking about it who really was the last 'hard man' of football..? none of today's modern elite come close.

Along with Jimmy Greaves, this man was my Dad's hero. I would like to think he was waiting at the gates for him as he made his way up there

I grew up hearing stories of the great Tottenham team that Mackay played in, feels like another part of my childhood disappeared today

RIP

You kinda wish it was the ilk of Joey Barton facing him in that picture. Soon find out how tough he really is.

Thinking about it who really was the last 'hard man' of football..? none of today's modern elite come close.

Only one in the last 10 years or so that springs to mind would be Roy Keane in his prime.

Going back a few more years, i recall very few players ever getting the better of Graeme Souness in his Liverpool days.

You kinda wish it was the ilk of Joey Barton facing him in that picture.  Soon find out how tough he really is.

I believe that is Terry Venables in the background.

I never realised he was quite so stocky.

I as going to mention the Quig incident ! Can you imagine that happening today ?

in this current cowardly, unprofessional, cheating 'sport' of football, where in general managers, too many fans and money grabbing gravy train pundits condone it's behaviour and even the authorities own laws protect the guilty, there is absolutely no chance of this happening whatsoever.

I couldn't be arsed to watch the game but kept half an eye on proceedings on the online sky sports commentary of Sunday's league cup final, mentioning Dier's booking on 31 minutes the quote was " the blues hitman (Costa) did well to get his body across to be fouled " and I thought there you go modern football summed in one sentence.

in today's game Mackay would have been sent off all day long and as 13 year old at the time I felt aggrieved, the passage of time has taught me that that day at White Hart Lane was a magical away day (the 3 people I went with are now all dead), big full house (57,000 was it), no segregation and no trouble and City gave their huge following on the day reason to feel real pride, with the only real difference on the day Jimmy Greaves, what Quigley did that day was the mark of a 'professional sportsman' having total respect for a fellow 'professional sportsman', respect in today's game is a word they 'try' to associate with racism and referees initiatives but most managers, players and quite a few fans lack self respect IMO in their condoning of what is actually happening in the game.

RIP Dave Mackay, a hardman undoubtedly but a great player to boot.

I believe that is Terry Venables in the background.

I never realised he was quite so stocky.

Certainly looks like him, Phil - does look a bit stacked there too

Bremner is the player being grabbed, correct me if I'm wrong? I remember Dad telling me, Bremner wasn't hard, he was dirty. Mackay was just hard, and looking at BBs reaction in that pic, he ain't having none of it!

Just reading through this thread, reminiscing of times past, yearning for the old time atmosphere, the characters, etc etc of yesteryear ... The mud bath, snow covered pitches and all the glorious crap that went with it... The working class game that generations of us fell in love with... The Dave Mackay era, the George Bests, and those that went before.. That's the game we knew and loved, the terraces, the smells, the cloth caps if the old guys, the rosettes, the wooden rattles, the bobble hats and scarves, the purity raw and undiluted, yes, the terrace. 'bovver boys' too...

The hard men, but skillful too players of the past, SOME of whom become legends, Dave Mackay was a central part of those times...

Then I look up from this thread at the telly, Sky news is on and the report is of Chelsea and John f'king Terry... Go Compare as ads say... Gimme some more of the shitty nitty gritty of the past over the slick, fast, skillful beyond belief football of today, it wasn't so pretty years ago but I loved it.

I'm excited and looking forward to experiencing our brand new Ashton Gate, it looks fantastic, but I'd swap all that for the Gate we grew up with, and some if the players we were privileged to have seen there ..

Dave Mackay et al ..gone but won't be forgotten .. those were the days of our lives.. Thank you RIP.

Certainly looks like him, Phil - does look a bit stacked there too

Bremner is the player being grabbed, correct me if I'm wrong? I remember Dad telling me, Bremner wasn't hard, he was dirty. Mackay was just hard, and looking at BBs reaction in that pic, he ain't having none of it!

Certainly is Bremner getting grabbed.  Arguably a bit harsh from your old man:  from what I recall Bremner was both:  tough but a nasty piece of work.

Came across this earlier:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/picturegalleries/11446394/Footballs-hard-men-top-20-rated-and-reviewed.html?frame=3217852

Assuming it is counting up to #1, not sure I would put Pearce above the likes of Harris, Mackay, Souness and Smith.

Just reading through this thread, reminiscing of times past, yearning for the old time atmosphere, the characters, etc etc of yesteryear ... The mud bath, snow covered pitches and all the glorious crap that went with it... The working class game that generations of us fell in love with... The Dave Mackay era, the George Bests, and those that went before.. That's the game we knew and loved, the terraces, the smells, the cloth caps if the old guys, the rosettes, the wooden rattles, the bobble hats and scarves, the purity raw and undiluted, yes, the terrace. 'bovver boys' too...

The hard men, but skillful too players of the past, SOME of whom become legends, Dave Mackay was a central part of those times...

Then I look up from this thread at the telly, Sky news is on and the report is of Chelsea and John f'king Terry... Go Compare as ads say... Gimme some more of the shitty nitty gritty of the past over the slick, fast, skillful beyond belief football of today, it wasn't so pretty years ago but I loved it.

I'm excited and looking forward to experiencing our brand new Ashton Gate, it looks fantastic, but I'd swap all that for the Gate we grew up with, and some if the players we were privileged to have seen there ..

Dave Mackay et al ..gone but won't be forgotten .. those were the days of our lives.. Thank you RIP.

Good Post :clap:

Did anyone see Harry Gregg last night on 'Yesterday' prog. He went back to Belgrade and met the lady he pulled from the aircraft wreck and her son she was pregnant with at the time, he also went to Munich and retraced his steps. I unashamedly had tears rolling down my face as I saw this 'humble' Irishman with true guts. It was a fantastic programme, and then you see the players of today who trip over a blade of grass and feign multiple injuries. All footballers should be made to take an hour out of their lives and watch this.

Certainly is Bremner getting grabbed.  Arguably a bit harsh from your old man:  from what I recall Bremner was both:  tough but a nasty piece of work.

Came across this earlier:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/picturegalleries/11446394/Footballs-hard-men-top-20-rated-and-reviewed.html?frame=3217852

Assuming it is counting up to #1, not sure I would put Pearce above the likes of Harris, Mackay, Souness and Smith.

To be fair, Keynsham, my Dad hated Leeds, as did most people back then - I'm sure that tainted his view slightly!

To be fair, Keynsham, my Dad hated Leeds, as did most people back then - I'm sure that tainted his view slightly!

I recall reading about a young fan approaching Bremner on a railway station. "Please Mr Bremner, may I have your autograph"?  "**** off" replied the sporting hero.

Was it '67 the Cup match? Never forget that match, but unsure how I made it there as I was in the RAF at the time, but yes he was 'proper dirty old school, another one gone,

I was at the game, he should have been sent off, but the rumor is the city players persuaded the ref to keep him on the pitch.

Not certain he would stay on the pitch today, hard as nails, up there with Norman Hunter

I was at the game, he should have been sent off, but the rumor is the city players persuaded the ref to keep him on the pitch.

Not certain he would stay on the pitch today, hard as nails, up there with Norman Hunter

Up there with Hunter!!!

As hard men go he was a bit higher up the ladder than our Norm

Archived