IGNORED

1955 Good Omens

handsofclay

The parallels between 1955, the last time we finished top of a division, and 2015 are amazing. These are the coincidences:

Chelsea won the top flight title

There was a General Election

Germany had won the World Cup a year earlier so were current World Champions

Our monarch was Queen Elizabeth II

ITV started

Ruth Ellis was hung

Rowan Atkinson was born 

Absolutely amazing and all good omens. I am sure there are many more coincidences that add even more power to our elbows.

ITV started

Ruth Ellis was hung

Rowan Atkinson was born 

Harry Dolman introduced an ill-fated Food Voucher scheme

Absolutely amazing and all good omens. I am sure there are many more coincidences that add even more power to our elbows.

I'm struggling with these 4 if I'm honest.

Forgot about the Dolman food voucher biz tbh.

As for others, ITV have just announced that they will be starting an ITV + 60 years channel shortly which runs along the same lines as ITV + 1 except instead of being 1 hour behind it will be 60 years behind.

Rowan Atkinson's sidekick in Blackadder was City fan Baldrick.

As for Ruth Ellis being hung, I think it would be unfair on the old girl to dig her up and hang her again just so it would help City's cause on the good omen front!

The parallels between 1955, the last time we finished top of a division, and 2015 are amazing. These are the coincidences:

Chelsea won the top flight title

There was a General Election

Germany had won the World Cup a year earlier so were current World Champions

Our monarch was Queen Elizabeth II

ITV started broadcasting crap

Ruth Ellis was hung like a baboon

Rowan Atkinson was born from good looking parents 

Kingswood Mask was born

Slightly edited..........

I thought James Dean deserved an Oscar for that film in which he played a goalshy Bristol City striker whose great work went unappreciated by the Ashton Gate faithful. I think it was called Robin Without Applause.

I preferred him in that film about an enormous centre-half who scored lots of goals but never got booked - "Giant", I think it was.

I preferred him in that film about an enormous centre-half who scored lots of goals but never got booked - "Giant", I think it was.

Was that the one where Marlon Brando is on the Waterfront in a Swindle Town shirt (a lot of actors wear them)  and says 'We coulda been a contender'?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uXQvKLGYTho

'55 Was the last female hanging in UK (male 1964)) Ruth Ellis.

Don't see appropriateness in relation to the City though, lots of things happened in 1955, .... In fact I myself was conceived! :) much better link to the year in my opinion.

No newsreel available re: my conception..

I am sure I have read posts from some of our female fans this year that Flint has been bloody well hung.

Clear link surely?

1954/5 w30 d10 l6 100points with 3 for a win, then it was 2pts a win so we accumulated 70. Orient were second with 61 (87 with 3 for a win. Only City promoted,

Barnsley won 3rd Division North.

City's last defeat was 22/1/55 against Southampton at home 2-1 after that 14 wins and 4 draws. Atyeo played every game and scored 28 goals one other ever present Jack White (centre Half converted from Centre forward).

Birmingham and Luton promoted to the top flight, Ipswich and Derby relegated to the 3rd Tier

1954/5 w30 d10 l6 100points with 3 for a win, then it was 2pts a win so we accumulated 70. Orient were second with 61 (87 with 3 for a win. Only City promoted,

Barnsley won 3rd Division North.

City's last defeat was 22/1/55 against Southampton at home 2-1 after that 14 wins and 4 draws. Atyeo played every game and scored 28 goals one other ever present Jack White (centre Half converted from Centre forward).

Birmingham and Luton promoted to the top flight, Ipswich and Derby relegated to the 3rd Tier

Okay, so not everything was the same back in 1955, but I'm surprised Ipswich were relegated as I'm sure they didn't sign Gerken until 2013!

Was Cardiff at home the last match that season (54/55) ?

Cardiff finished 20th in the old Division 1 just above Sheffield Wed and Leicester who went down.

Last game was crystal palace 2-1 away win

Sheffield utd  finished 13th in the top flight with Preston in 14th , Swindon 21st in Div3 south, Milton Keynes didn't even exist as a town until 1967

Twas a great year, I also was born along with my brother in law, both great city fans who've organised a weekend in Madrid around our fixtures, so as not to miss a game. We've had to plump for the lesser of the two Madrid teams as a result but still looking forward to it. Muchos cerveza por favour.

ever present Jack White (centre Half converted from Centre forward).

May I query where you go it that info about Jack White?

He arrived at City from Aldershot as a centre half and played most of his matches there or as a defensive right or left half.

I never saw him play up front. He died about a year ago.

Now only two of the 1955 team alive. Alec Eisentrager and Jack Boxley.

Are you thinking of Jack Connor who played a few matches at centre forward for Huddersfield before he came to City as a centre half. And he did play one game at centre forward for City v Bradford City.

Going back to Jack White. His brother Len White is the third highest goalscorer for Newcastle United behind Shearer 201, Jackie Milburn 200 and White 153.

May I query where you go it that info about Jack White?

He arrived at City from Aldershot as a centre half and played most of his matches there or as a defensive right or left half.

I never saw him play up front. He died about a year ago.

Now only two of the 1955 team alive. Alec Eisentrager and Jack Boxley.

Are you thinking of Jack Connor who played a few matches at centre forward for Huddersfield before he came to City as a centre half. And he did play one game at centre forward for City v Bradford City.

Going back to Jack White. His brother Len White is the third highest goalscorer for Newcastle United behind Shearer 201, Jackie Milburn 200 and White 153.

Started as centre forward for aldershot scored 24 goals in 209 appearances but was converted to centre/wing half by aldershot in 1951 (even though he was only 5 foot 8 and half. His game improved and he signed for city in 1952 . All info from bristol city a complete record (1894 to 1987) by David Woods and Andrew Crabtree

Archived