IGNORED

Eight Years Ago Today...

Manon

http://www.bristolcity-mad.co.uk/snapshot_tables/2007_2008/8/mar/bristol_city/index.shtml

Remember it well. We somehow found ourselves top of the table as we reached mid-march, and the season had been a hilarious roller coaster up to that point suddenly became very real and serious.

All our rivals had been dismissing us all season, appearing un threatened and even mildly endeared by us....until now.

Suddenly the finish line became visible, and unfortunately so did an anxious ness amongst fans and players alike.

From there on we stumbled and crawled our way, and the rest is history.

It was a fantastic season, including an added play off adventure.

Very different circumstances, of course, but that season seemed more fun for some reason.

A hypothetical question:

Say we end up winning this division comfortable, as seems likely.

Now imagine we defeated hull at wembley in 2008.

Which promotion would you prefer?

Undoubtably, automatic promotion.

The Play Offs were exciting that year (as they often are) but it was great feeling the year before when we got promoted...last day of the season, all done and dusted. The problem is that we haven't got a Play Off final victory under our belts to compare it against.

I still can't believe how close we were that season to getting back to the top flight. Part of me is worried that if we go up this year people will automatically expect a similar season next year as 2007/08.

Edit: sorry I think I read your question wrong judging by Randys reply. Victory against Hull in 2008 would've beaten anything else that I've ever experienced supporting City.

Eight years ago today we were 2nd in League 1 and heading for promotion. That final day against Rotherham was great

As for the subsequent season, I'd much rather have won that game against Hull. Like it or loathe it, The Premier League is the pinnacle of English domestic football and as we were relegated from the 1st division a couple of months before I was born, that game at Wembley in 2008 may be the closest I get to seeing City in the top flight

http://www.bristolcity-mad.co.uk/snapshot_tables/2007_2008/8/mar/bristol_city/index.shtml

Remember it well. We somehow found ourselves top of the table as we reached mid-march, and the season had been a hilarious roller coaster up to that point suddenly became very real and serious.

All our rivals had been dismissing us all season, appearing un threatened and even mildly endeared by us....until now.

Suddenly the finish line became visible, and unfortunately so did an anxious ness amongst fans and players alike.

From there on we stumbled and crawled our way, and the rest is history.

It was a fantastic season, including an added play off adventure.

Very different circumstances, of course, but that season seemed more fun for some reason.

A hypothetical question:

Say we end up winning this division comfortable, as seems likely.

Now imagine we defeated hull at wembley in 2008.

Which promotion would you prefer?

Each time I look at that table, the only thing I ever thinking of is Gj messing up big time at Stoke - IMO that's where it all went wrong.

This one. I hate the PL and everything it stands for.

Such a ridiculous thing to say. So if/when we are in the championship next season, are you saying you never want to be promoted from that division. i.e. the best possible scenario is to finish 3rd and lose in the play offs. In other words, you have seen everything you dreamed of seeing Bristol City achieving that season in 07/08?

This one. I hate the PL and everything it stands for.

I know, the new Ashton Gate selling out 27,000 tickets every week and taking on some of the biggest teams and best players in world football, the club finally being seen and becoming known on a global stage, what an absolute nightmare that would be.

Much rather have away games at Rotherham and Brentford thanks very much.

Did you actually read the post/question?

Yes thanks - you asked which promotion people would prefer - i assumed you'd accept peoples views? Mine was this one. Sorry.

I'm not a fan anymore of the PL and everything it has turned in to.

Must remember to tow the Otib line in future.

Thanks, I was in a great mood now you have reminded me we were top of the league in the championship with 9 games to go, and somehow ****** it up.

Par for the course, mate. We could go into a revolving door in front of the opposition and come out after them :(

Yes thanks - you asked which promotion people would prefer - i assumed you'd accept peoples views? Mine was this one. Sorry.

I'm not a fan anymore of the PL and everything it has turned in to.

Must remember to tow the Otib line in future.

Ah, I should take my own advice in this case. Sorry, mis-read yours...apologies.

I'm sure we beat Norwich on the 1st of April that year and went top?

You are correct we did, but that wasn't seven years ago today! Still, good point. Top in april...even worse. I can remember clearly exactly where I was when brooker scored that last gasp winner: tesco extra swindon of all places!!

I believe that victory was the only one though (from 8th march, except the final day when it was over already).

That was the season when no one wanted to win it. All the top teams were making a right dogs dinner of it. Think the final tallies were ridiculously low.

You are correct we did, but that wasn't seven years ago today! Still, good point. Top in april...even worse. I can remember clearly exactly where I was when brooker scored that last gasp winner: tesco extra swindon of all places!!

I believe that victory was the only one though (from 8th march, except the final day when it was over already).

That was the season when no one wanted to win it. All the top teams were making a right dogs dinner of it. Think the final tallies were ridiculously low.

I think we went to Southampton the week after, and put in the worst performance of the season.

More pertinent I think is 03/04 when we lost three on the bounce in this division in March and ended up finishing third. Then we lost to Brighton in the play-off final. Did the hard part in beating the two promoted sides (Plymouth, QPR) at the Gate too.

Time to right so many wrongs!

Archived