IGNORED

Who Will Our Britton, Dyer, Williams And Monk Be ?

REDTURK

As I live and work in the Swansea area I often get chatting with Swans fans through my work and socially. The Swansea story is very much the case of "the phoenix rising from the ashes". From almost falling off the precipice into football oblivion they now find themselves regularly competing in the top half of the Premier League, have won a league cup, competed in Europe and are now included within the top 25 richest football clubs in the world......... 

Many Swansea supporters that I speak to say that one of the reasons that they were able to claw themselves back from the brink and rise up the divisions was they have been lucky to have a central core of players who have been able to play for them throughout the divisions. These players have got better with age and have been able to raise their standards as the level of football has demanded. 

Having these players around the club for years (11 years in Dyers case) has insured that the clubs playing philosophy and culture has brushed off onto new players coming in to the first team and young players progressing through the youth set up.

What amazes me is how the Swans have been able to keep hold of players such as Dyer and Britton over the years. Surely other teams must have been interested at some point? Perhaps like us Swansea have in the past been considered as a footballing backwater club and as a consequence managed to operate under the commercial/footballing radar on occasions.

Who do you feel could be our core players of the future. Players that could effectively grow with the club?

If we feel that we have them how can we ensure that we keep them like Swansea City have done?

Freeman, K.Smith, Ayling, Bryan, Williams maybe Flint all have the potential and chucking the wildcard Matt Smith out there seeing as he has been with us this season, never know we may sign him in the summer, imagine we could be near the top of the list if somehow Fulham dropped to league 1 or even so with 5 strikers on there books.

Maybe. Would another championship team want him? Does Cotts want him? (Assuming we go up!!!)

Lower championship team may take a punt or promotion chasing league 1 team. However I agree that JET will likely move on, reckon Cotts will be looking to use his wages elsewhere.

Korey smith, Williams, flint, Bryan and freeman.

Those provide the core. However, we need a strong spine.

I feel to have a stronger spine, we need a better keep (not knocking fielding) and a 20 goal a season, young striker that will grow in ability and value over time. Both of these two requirements would come at a cost but both are extremely important if we are to progress further than the championship

Archived