IGNORED

Anyone Not Fussed About England?

WestburyRed

Akward subject to discuss considering recent events, but is any else (English) like me who is oddly not that fussed about England?

I'm passionate about Bristol City and will show up no matter how bad the football is sometimes, but when it comes to England I'm just not bothered in the slightest, much like my feelings towards The Premiership really.

I watch the games, one eye on the screen and usually doing something else at the same time, but for the most part I enjoy all the other games in international football (I've watched all the other Euro 2004 games so far) more than I do watching England. I'm as English as it gets but when it comes to the national team I just don't get passionate or excited about it as I do with City.

• Admin

I sort of know what you mean. Although I get more excited about the prospect (and actuality) of England playing from the sounds of it, an away defeat early in the season at Colchester leaves me more upset than an England defeat.

you cannot be a true Englishman
Yeah that must be it! Me and my family go back in England as far as we can trace it, no mention of any other countries as far as I can find. That will probably change soon though as my other half is half-Norwegian, but even she is more passionate about England than me.

I just go through enough with City to bother with another team to be honest, I don't feel nearly the same excitment or dissapointment watching England. I had no idea who this Hargreaves guy is and until about a year ago hadn't heard of Vassell or quite a few other guys. I completely switch myself from The Premiership and only generally follow Division 1 right down to Screwfix, so I don't really worry about England team selections or anything as I don't know who should be playing anyway.

Last night at full time I just got up and went to get some food after the game, everyone was really down (which I respect) but it doesn't bother me, England are forever under-acheivers and it was fairly obvious they would slip up somewhen (as always) so it wasn't a shock to me. I put myself through the same emotions with city enough to bother with another team.

Guest michael
England are forever under-acheivers
No they are not, I well remember them winning the World Cup in '66 -

not quite as good since, I agree, but Mexico wasn't bad either.

Apologies for defaming your family but I cannot understand not being up for your country, with me it's number one and City come a long way further down the line.

Personally, I care a lot about our football team. The national anthem and the chants of "En-ger-land" always send a shiver down my back.

Yes, I would go and watch a City game if they were played at the same time, but, would be just as interested in the England result, especially a competitive game.

I am very proud to be English and not just when there is a football competition going on. I love driving around at the moment and seeing all the flags everywhere.

I just wish it didn't take a football tournament to bring this lelve of national pride out. Be great if it was like this all year around ;)

I still can't beleive how you are football fan but you still dont care about your country? I find that really hard to understand.

I am so passionate about my country as I thought every football fan was. It's hard to understand.

Obviously, what comes into my mind is your obviously have no pride in the country you live in. Your not proud to be English. But thats coming from someone who can't understand why you aren't passionate about the country representing you at the game you love.

I definately choose club over country. Thats not to say I don't support England and enjoy seeing them win, but when they let in those two goals I didn't get at all annoyed and had a smile on my face from what had just happened. If that was city I would be kicking everything in my living room in anger.

Cluc before country, definately.

But we all must support our country in all sports wether it be football, rugby, tennis or even swimming. We need to put England on the map again.

60 Years ago 1000s of young men loved and fought and died for our country...

Come On England. :cool:

I definately choose club over country. Thats not to say I don't support England and enjoy seeing them win, but when they let in those two goals I didn't get at all annoyed and had a smile on my face from what had just happened. If that was city I would be kicking everything in my living room in anger.
You enjoy seeing them win, yet smile when they lose? Ok then :cool:

Cluc before country, definately.

But we all must support our country in all sports wether it be football, rugby, tennis or even swimming. We need to put England on the map again.

Come On England. :cool:

Hundreds of thousands died in the poorest way possible, thousands of miles away from their loved ones and familly, in disgusting conditions for our country.

That is what I think of when England play, they gave us the right to do that.

One month ago, i couldnt wait for Euro 2004 to get started.

However, after losing at Cardiff, my enthusiasm for football has dropped of a little and if I'm honest i dont really care about Euro 2004 now as i still feel numb.

All i want is august to come so i can watch the only football team that matter to me anymore.

I am passionate about the England football team but not about England or Britain, even to the point of sitting down when the National Anthem is played (if I can get away with it). But there's nothing to compare with that shared joy when the national football team does well.

... well, they fought and died for a cause as much as for a country, I'd have thought. As did the thousands of young men and women from a host of other countries. I hope with all my heart that they'd feel their tragic deaths achieved something.

I'd rather not link that to football or any other sport - I don't see the two have the remotest thing in common, but we're all entitled to our view.

I'd rather not link that to football or any other sport - I don't see the two have the remotest thing in common, but we're all entitled to our view.
The moral of this thread is patriotism. :cool:

We should love our country and support it in all forms, wether it be sport or defence of the country. :laugh:

Archived