IGNORED

Paul Gascoigne

Always Believesham

A lot of people have felt very sorry for Gascoigne, a lot blame him for his own demise, I was sympathetic but I agree it's difficult to justify given all that he had done and the amount of second chances he was given.

Today I think the poignant news from the Mirror cannot be underestimated, very sad for Gascoigne but time for the PFA to sit up and take notice of those pro's that don't go into punditry, coaching or grassroots football.

This is a man who, from a young age was used to the watching eye of the public 24:7, he did behave badly, showed himself up but got used to the 'pressure' and had his down time on a Saturday afternoon, when he could enjoy his football.

This caught up with him and developed alcoholism, and his football didn't provide the tonic it did when he was at the height of his career. Taking a long hard look at himself in the Mirror gave him no chance of mentally enjoying life without the public seeing, knowing and having an opinion on him.

The Mirror's 10 year hacking campaign against Paul Gascoigne must have caused irrepairable damage to him, without the opportunity to play football, he still had to put up with the spotlight and attention from an aggressive media that chewed up a genius born in a generation where footballers didn't particularly worry about their lifestyle, who finished his career and would have benefited from being left to fix his problems and live the life of a retired professional.

Yes footballers do receive an ungodly amount of financial support to set them up for life after a relatively short career but the PFA has an obligation to prepare their players for life after football. The emotional come-down from a high like this can only be supported by those that have successfully lived through it.

Let's face it, these days, they come straight out of school, it is essentially a 20 year '3rd school' (after primary & secondary)

The Mirror should IMO be ordered to pay substantial damages to supporting footballers after football with any returns they receive completely reinvested in avoiding this happening again.

Sorry if I've misunderstood but ALL footballers??

Not to privately fund the rehab of all footballers - I'd suggest funding research, setting up a programme that can help

People have mental health issues and because they are famous and have been well paid,t he solution is to throw money at it - that's my big gripe

Not to privately fund the rehab of all footballers - I'd suggest funding research, setting up a programme that can help

People have mental health issues and because they are famous and have been well paid,t he solution is to throw money at it - that's my big gripe

So The Mirror should pay that dos they hacked Gazza's phone? Doesn't make sense to me.

There will always be winners and losers when it comes to professional footballers and their lives after they stop playing.  Gascoigne's mental health issues were his undoing but I'm sure if he had been surrounded by a stable family and had received decent support from friends, he would have been okay.  Sadly, this hasn't been his reality. 

He was an amazing player, scored at incredible goal against Scotland in Euro 96 and has suffered miserably since he stopped playing.

A real shame and unfortunately the future looks very bleak for him.  I wish it would be different.

There will always be winners and losers when it comes to professional footballers and their lives after they stop playing. Gascoigne's mental health issues were his undoing but I'm sure if he had been surrounded by a stable family and had received decent support from friends, he would have been okay. Sadly, this hasn't been his reality.

He was an amazing player, scored at incredible goal against Scotland in Euro 96 and has suffered miserably since he stopped playing.

A real shame and unfortunately the future looks very bleak for him. I wish it would be different.

Yes.

So The Mirror should pay that dos they hacked Gazza's phone? Doesn't make sense to me.

My answer would be in what Xiled says...

A real shame and unfortunately the future looks very bleak for him.  I wish it would be different.

You cannot save turn the clock back, it is criminal what happened and the company will be fined - reputations tarnished etc. don't fine them and fund the sue culture, use that money to do something positive, prevention

You cannot save turn the clock back, it is criminal what happened and the company will be fined - reputations tarnished etc. don't fine them and fund the sue culture, use that money to do something positive, prevention

It's impossible to measure the extent of the damage that has been caused by newspapers eavesdropping mobile phone voicemails.  Lives may have been ruined by the smallest details that get reported and then create bigger stories that become unbearable pressures for those involved.

I would like to see papers including The Mirror dealt a major financial penalty - especially for a sustained attack on an individual.  Paul Gascoigne was hardly in good place to brush it off.  The journalists involved should be ashamed of their inhumanity.  But we also have to take some responsibility for our unending desire to consume celebrity gossip.  It seems to be a British disease.

My answer would be in what Xiled says...

Sorry but I don't get it, you seem to have started a thread and changed your mind in half an hour

The mirror should face criminal charges for hacking peoples phones.

But I don't believe they can be blamed for Gazza being an alcoholic, anymore than they can be blamed for the drunk in a shop doorway with his bottle of meths.

It's society itself which is to blame for that. If only people who are not alcoholics could accept that it is an illness, not just a matter of lack of self control.

I've always thought Gascoigne was used an abused and never seemed to have a much needed paternal figure to watch over him. I feel pitifully sorry for him.

As much as phone hacking is utterly deplorable, it was not the source of Paul Gascoigne's issues imo.

I agree it is appalling how journos from papers like the Mirror keep writing things about Gascoigne, expressing opinions and not letting him get on with sorting his life after throwing away his talent and spiralling into a life of excesses.

I would never do that.

gazza only has himself to blame for his situation, that being said the media in general (not just the mirror) need to wind their necks in sometimes,

I believe if gazza wasn't a footballer he would be perm sectioned under the mental health act,

Archived