IGNORED

"8 Men Had A Dream"

Olé

Hear this at El Rincon every week but still never heard at AG. Such a good shout, it actually means something and pays tribute to our history but is also a bloody good song. Would be awesome to hear it at Wembley?

change none to some for true accuracy Rich :)

I know but its not OTIB without someone speaking on behalf of 100% of fans!!!!!!

For one, i would put everything I own on city getting promoted, it's a done deal. The title on the other hand? We're Bristol City so I think I'll reserve judgement for another couple of games!

Text this to my mate last week! The only difference is when it says top of the league I reckon it would be better as " we're on our way back to where we belong" then followed by we're top of the league; therefore it doesn't go out of tune

I would suggest the last line as 'their memory lives on' as we won't always be top of the league and the song would remain as a homage to the 8.

This this this! Every time we sing "we're Bristol City, we're top of the league" I try and put in a do-do-do, do-do-do as per the Rangers version. I think the version when we're not top goes:

8 men had a dream

To save a football team

They tore up contracts so that we could go on

We still carried on

And 30 years on

We're Bristol City

We're still going strong

Back then I think we were struggling in the championship iirc

Would love to hear this, could do with a drum tho to keep it steady

"We're Bristol City,

and this is our song!....

Eight Men had a dream....." (?)

Just to interject, I understood the AG8 tearing up their contracts was a necessary and forced action, not what you would call 'a dream' in the positive sense of the word; Geoff Merrick was resenful 25 years on, I know that.

Not that I'm intentionally treading on the toes of an upcoming chant, am just saying.

Surely he knew what he was doing? What did he resent? The way the club treated him after?

Collectively, they must have been told that tearing up the contracts would save us. Therefore, the intention was there. 8 men had an intention hasn't got the same ring to it :laugh:.

I know some fans will cringe at the thought of singing this, don't understand why though and it would motivate me further to get it going if I'm honest.

If it catches on, great. If not I'm sure we'll sing another

Surely he knew what he was doing? What did he resent? The way the club treated him after?

Collectively, they must have been told that tearing up the contracts would save us. Therefore, the intention was there. 8 men had an intention hasn't got the same ring to it :laugh:.

I know some fans will cringe at the thought of singing this, don't understand why though and it would motivate me further to get it going if I'm honest.

If it catches on, great. If not I'm sure we'll sing another

Think he resented being given an ultimatum (tear up your contracts or Bristol City dies hmmmm :shifty: ), for which he had no actual choice.   "Eight Men were given an ultimatum...." 

You could argue their sacrifice enabled the dream but don't mind me disputing the technicalities of a football chant!

Hope it catches on :)

This this this! Every time we sing "we're Bristol City, we're top of the league" I try and put in a do-do-do, do-do-do as per the Rangers version. I think the version when we're not top goes:

8 men had a dream

To save a football team

They tore up contracts so that we could go on

We still carried on

And 30 years on

We're Bristol City

We're still going strong

Back then I think we were struggling in the championship iirc

Would love to hear this, could do with a drum tho to keep it steady

This version sounds good. I'll join in next time, I couldn't quite make out the words on Saturday.

"We're Bristol City,

and this is our song!....

Eight Men had a dream....." (?)

Just to interject, I understood the AG8 tearing up their contracts was a necessary and forced action, not what you would call 'a dream' in the positive sense of the word; Geoff Merrick was resenful 25 years on, I know that.

You're right WTF.

Not a bad little ditty, but historically inaccurate.

Any song to commemorate the period should really be in praise of Ken Sage and Derryn Coller, who did most to save the club in '82.

You're right WTF.

Not a bad little ditty, but historically inaccurate.

Any song to commemorate the period should really be in praise of Ken Sage and Derryn Collier, who did most to save the club in '82.

I learned a bit due to the Bristol Sport fall out. Des Queue's brother and Des Williams? There are supporters that oversaw the club long term in their own way and others who stepped up specifically at this time?

Definately heard in no uncertain terms from the horses mouth that Geoff Merrick was pissed off by the predicament he was put in.

Whole debate that that is and I was only born in Jan '82 so my memory is hazy at best.

Think there's value in all of it being passed down to forthcoming generations.

Give us an account, Noggers?......

I learned a bit due to the Bristol Sport fall out. Des Queue's brother and Des Williams? There are supporters that oversaw the club long term in their own way and others who stepped up specifically at this time?

Definately heard in no uncertain terms from the horses mouth that Geoff Merrick was pissed off by the predicament he was put in.

Whole debate that that is and I was only born in Jan '82 so my memory is hazy at best.

Think there's value in all of it being passed down to forthcoming generations.

Give us an account, Noggers?......

It's all well documented WTF. It was Les Kew and Ivor Williams, but from memory Sage and Coller put the most into it financially and emotionally.

Don't get me wrong Sir Geoffrey, Gerry Sweeney, Trevor Tainton, Jimmy Mann and Chris Garland were all heroes of mine (not so much Rodgers and Marshall, and certainly not Aitken) but they either tore up their contracts and received a reported 10k each or the club went bust, and they got nothing.

I was outside the Grandstand waiting that day and we were all sweating on their decision which they left right til the last moment.

Don't forget City were high payers in the top league ( the cause of the whole problem) and most of these were long serving players who'd done very well out of BCFC for many years. They had also seen us relegated and we were struggling again.

So there was plenty of sympathy for them, of course, but also some agitation in some quarters that perhaps some were holding the club to ransom.

You're right that Geoff Merrick was bitter about the whole business, but another boyhood City fan, Chris Garland, came back to play for City on a non contract basis in the 4th division. Trevor Tainton was known to pay at the gate to support City later on, and Gerry Sweeney was once acting manager, so it wasn't all bitterness.

Merrick, along with Tom Ritchie had rejected a move to Arsenal in order to lead City to promotion, so although he missed out there I'm pretty sure captaining his home town club to promotion and playing in the top division for 4 years was some compensation.

Most of the regular first teamers amongst them were getting on - Merrick 30, Sweeney 36, Tainton 33, Mann 29, Rodgers 30, Garland 32, so the bulk of their high earning years were already behind them.

It was still rough on them of course, and we have to be grateful they eventually came to the right decision, but really it was the only choice they could make. At least after the dust had settled they didn't  have to carry the stigma that any intransigence on their part had finished off the club many of them loved, and they also got some money out of it.

Horrible times for all connected with BCFC, not forgetting us fans who felt completely helpless, and a last minute reprieve that we really didn't think was coming.

Well done WTFiGO!?! Even though you were but a month old in Feb 82 you haven't been taken in by this eight men had a dream nonsense. Also well done Nogbad for your accurate account of the times.

The Ashton Gate 8 didn't have a dream. They had a b****y nightmare. They were basically told that if they didn't tear up their contracts the club would fold and their contracts would be worth diddly squat. Whereas if they did tear up their contracts they'd receive about a grand each plus the proceeds of a testimonial match organised by the PFA between two top flight teams (if memory serves it was Ipswich v Soton and drew an attendance of about 2,000). Thus it was a no brainer: don't tear up your contracts and get sod all and be blamed by many for killing Bristol City, or get a piddling amount and the gratitude of Bristol City and their fans.

Geoff Merrick or any of the other seven didn't arrive at work one day saying that he had had a dream about how to save Bristol City which involved sacrificing the well-being of his and their families. They were issued with an ultimatum.

If anyone had a dream concerned with our club it was the men who gathered at a Southville address in 1894 and formed Bristol South End.

Well done WTFiGO!?! Even though you were but a month old in Feb 82 you haven't been taken in by this eight men had a dream nonsense. Also well done Nogbad for your accurate account of the times.

The Ashton Gate 8 didn't have a dream. They had a b****y nightmare. They were basically told that if they didn't tear up their contracts the club would fold and their contracts would be worth diddly squat. Whereas if they did tear up their contracts they'd receive about a grand each plus the proceeds of a testimonial match organised by the PFA between two top flight teams (if memory serves it was Ipswich v Soton and drew an attendance of about 2,000). Thus it was a no brainer: don't tear up your contracts and get sod all and be blamed by many for killing Bristol City, or get a piddling amount and the gratitude of Bristol City and their fans.

Geoff Merrick or any of the other seven didn't arrive at work one day saying that he had had a dream about how to save Bristol City which involved sacrificing the well-being of his and their families. They were issued with an ultimatum.

If anyone had a dream concerned with our club it was the men who gathered at a Southville address in 1894 and formed Bristol South End.

Spot on.

I was born in the 70s so was too young to understand what happened properly, but was always confused about the 8 players who saw us drop 3 leagues in 3 years. Was this because of them, or inspite of them? Sounds simplistic with directors and managers involved too!

I was born in the 70s so was too young to understand what happened properly, but was always confused about the 8 players who saw us drop 3 leagues in 3 years. Was this because of them, or inspite of them? Sounds simplistic with directors and managers involved too!

I'd say the moment we imploded was when Gary Collier, our great centre-back, became one of the first players to use the new freedom of contract rule to sign for Coventry before the start of the 79-80 season, our last in the top flight. Alan Dicks and the directors panicked and signed the rest of our talented squad to long term contracts, basically ensuring they'd be tied to Bristol City for the remainder of their playing careers. In Clive Whitehead's case this meant him being given an 11 year contract!

Not only did Collier leave pre 79-80, but also his central defensive partner Norman Hunter. They were never adequately replaced and we finished the season being relegated. Unfortunately, the majority of our squad were under long contracts and being paid top flight wages. The lack of incentive, plus the fact they were getting older led to poor performances on the pitch. Star players such as Kevin Mabbutt we had to let go for next to nothing so buying clubs could offer them a better deal to offset them leaving the security of Ashton Gate with their long contracts. We eventually, a year or two later, had to almost give Clive Whitehead away to WBA as he was effectively languishing in the reserves of a Div III team on top flight wages.

To cut a very long story short it was basically mismanagement that led to 1982 and Alan Dicks' loyalty to the group of players that had obtained promotion to the top flight in 1976. Instead of panicking when Collier left and locking players into the club with long contracts, City should've learnt from Coventry and instead enticed other good players that were out of contract at other clubs to join us with a win some, lose some approach instead of a lose one we ain't losing anymore one they adopted.

Cool thanks! So in the case of whitehead, how could he have been left in reserves for a 3rd tier team, was it to save on appearance fees or was he so badly out of form that he wasnt worth a starting place?

For the rest of them, management and age are relevant but only 1 was mid 30s, the rest had some gas left in the tank, would you have said they could have given more to the cause on the pitch when we were in free fall?

With Whitehead confining him to the reserves was simply a tactic to try and push him out of the club in other words to try to get the message across to him that if he remained he would spend the rest of his career playing in front of three men and a dog in the hope he would leave to seek the glory of playing before packed audiences in the top flight.

At the time there was an air of stagnation at Ashton Gate. When a team stops performing the option is to have a clear out and introduce fresh blood. City couldn't do that as they were tied to the bulk of those players who'd got them relegated. Those players had already fulfilled their ambitions and had the rest of their playing careers secured. It didn't provide a healthy atmosphere as the players knew the management wanted rid of them but obviously there were no clubs willing to offer them the sort of terms they were on at City. As we went further and further down and crowds plummeted so their wages went up and up. That was unsustainable.

I would also say that a lot of those players were on the downslide in their careers anyway. This is evidenced by the fact that none of the eight players who tore up their contracts encountered success elsewhere afterwards. Obviously, this is a simplistic version, there were other factors which didn't help such as Hobbs not winning the power struggle with Kew at boardroom level and the finance problems incurred over the building of the Dolman Stand and the mistake of having the seats designed to face the pitch. A great thing when the team are riding the crest of a wave but a massive hindrance when they're in a slump.

Archived