IGNORED

New Blog Post: Does Playing At Wembley Still Matter?

The Exiled Robin

It's been a while since I wrote a fully fledged blog post on the site so thought this weekend deserved one.

Do you think playing at Wembley still matters? I do - read my views here:

http://exiledrobin.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/does-playing-at-wembley-still-matter-it.html

All shares on social media hugely welcome and appreciated!

I was actually one of the first 500 people to play at the new Wembley Stadium (bit of casual name-dropping there), and it was a fantastic stadium even when it was empty, so I can imagine how amazing it must be to play there when it's full.

The pitch was bloody awful though. I expected it to be like carpet but it was genuinely no better than your average recreation ground.

No. Wembley doesn't impress me. The Millennium Stadium does.

You're right about that. There was a special something about the old Wembley but I still think there is something special for a player to have played at Wembley - as referenced by the interviews with the players and their dreams when they were children

You're right about that. There was a special something about the old Wembley but I still think there is something special for a player to have played at Wembley - as referenced by the interviews with the players and their dreams when they were children

Agree, sir Wade said he's played between 700/800 games, only once at Wembley, so I think it is special for the players.

Have you been to Wembley more times than you've been to Ashton Gate Aiz?

I've been to Eastville more times than I've been to either Wembley, and I've been to Ashton Gate more times this season than I've been to the New Wembley. Of course, I realise that my visits to the Gate made before the foundation of the Premiership don't count in some people's eyes.

Wembley is a cracking stadium, pisses all over the Maracana, Stade de France, Amsterdam Arena and most other so called top stadiums in the world. admittedly i do think the atmosphere can be dead there during England games as well as some FA Cup semi finals/finals. i think this is purely down to it being overused. England should take friendlies around the country and all Semi Finals moved away from Wembley too. This should bring back the buzz around Wembley which has been lost in recent years. you could even play both FA Cup semi finals at the Millenium Stadium, i highly rate it and that would be a cracking venue for it.

The old Wembley was something special but it was also an absolute pit of a ground.

edit - just to add that a number of grounds around the world do top Wembley, most can be found in Germany.

Archived