IGNORED

Bristol Post

Chalkie

One of the headlines today:

Bristol City at Wembley: Behind the scenes pictures showing City players celebrating there win the there dressing room.

How the hell does a does a major city put up with a rag who employs "journalists" with no ability in written English?

One of the headlines today:

Bristol City at Wembley: Behind the scenes pictures showing City players celebrating there win the there dressing room.

How the hell does a does a major city put up with a rag who employs "journalists" with no ability in written English?

Because people keep reading it??

Crime of the century. Front and back page, page 2, 3, 4, 5, 16-page photo pullout, six more pages in the sports section... What terrible coverage, considering they would have had three hours or so to get it out after post-match interviews etc.

It's not the fact it got past checking, it's the fact that someone wrote it in the first place.

Anyway I'm not sure OTIB is the right place to crow about spelling and grammar. If I had a pound for every time someone wrote "brought" instead of "bought"....

It's not the fact it got past checking, it's the fact that someone wrote it in the first place.

Anyway I'm not sure OTIB is the right place to crow about spelling and grammar. If I had a pound for every time someone wrote "brought" instead of "bought"....

Because under pressure and time constraints you're far more prone to make errors? I don't know when the Post goes to print but I do know the press box at Wembley closes a couple of hours after the final whistle.

Factor in the celebrations, waiting for the press conferences etc. and you're up against it at best. Whatever you think of Stockhausen, the vitriol about something so petty is a bit pathetic.

Because under pressure and time constraints you're far more prone to make errors? I don't know when the Post goes to print but I do know the press box at Wembley closes a couple of hours after the final whistle.

Factor in the celebrations, waiting for the press conferences etc. and you're up against it at best. Whatever you think of Stockhausen, the vitriol about something so petty is a bit pathetic.

You're quite right it is a tight squeeze perhaps; mistakes more likely to get through etc.

Funnily enough on Wednesday immediately following the Budget I managed to access many articles, each coherent and well written containing thought and debate within minutes. A luxury to the time that the Post had.

In any case a real time mistake is one thing. To not amend several hours later is appalling.

I agree with you about Stockhausen, he always comes across as a decent bloke on Twitter and there is no doubt he wants the club to do well. I have nothing against him and didn't even realise it was his mistake (if indeed it was).

You're quite right it is a tight squeeze perhaps; mistakes more likely to get through etc.

Funnily enough on Wednesday immediately following the Budget I managed to access many articles, each coherent and well written containing thought and debate within minutes. A luxury to the time that the Post had.

In any case a real time mistake is one thing. To not amend several hours later is appalling.

I hadn't realised this article was online, and published the day after the game; yeah, that's pretty poor. A slip-up in today's paper would have been far more forgivable.

I don't know the ins and outs of journalism, but for the thing to go through whatever process and to press and NOBODY picking up on it can go down as a **** up, transferable too any job.

Written language on this forum is at best, generally poor. But these guys jobs are to produce professionally written newspaper articles and they failed to do that.

Hopefully, amateurism like this will lead to the non-football supporting reader to not take them seriously re their reporting on us.

I don't read it and personally think City should ban them from Ashton Gate, for multiple reasons.

Whoever wrote that probably has to churn out 10,000+ words in a day, and whoever subbed it may have to look at 100,000. Proof readers? They belong back in the "hot metal" days when there were proof sheets. No such thing now, it's press button to publish!

Given the time pressure that the modern, cash-strapped regional press puts on its dwindling number of staff, a mangled sentence occasionally is hardly a surprising find!

Oh,and what's that sound I hear? Is it stones breaking glasshouse windows? It should be, for there are few posts on this thread or any other here that aren't littered with grammatical and spelling errors.

Whoever wrote that probably has to churn out 10,000+ words in a day, and whoever subbed it may have to look at 100,000. Proof readers? They belong back in the "hot metal" days when there were proof sheets. No such thing now, it's press button to publish!

Given the time pressure that the modern, cash-strapped regional press puts on its dwindling number of staff, a mangled sentence occasionally is hardly a surprising find!

Oh,and what's that sound I hear? Is it stones breaking glasshouse windows? It should be, for there are few posts on this thread or any other here that aren't littered with grammatical and spelling errors.

Bang on.

:D You bit! Well written, btw.

In my work, we are absolutely slaughtered by the media for **** ups, people's lives are on the line.

It's a mess and we are all under huge pressure.

You checked this three times before hitting 'add reply' didn't you. I'm right aren't I?

I werk as the bristol Post head proff reader. I thinks you're comments is unfair. I dont come into you're playsis of werk and knitpick so dont think ewe can do so ect with mine. It isnt Nice.

I have good grammar. Ewe have to in this liner werk. My grammar has always bin supportive and i goes to her whenever eyes upset.

I've spotted one small mistake in your post mate. ;)

The difference being that we don't get paid for writing on here.

Chances are that the Post are employing people with hardly any experience, because it means they can pay a pittance. And I'm not convinced it's because they're cash-strapped (why would they be?), but more because there's a common misconception that 'proof-readers are ten to a penny, so we can pay them what we like). Sadly, good ones are not ten to a penny, hence all the mistakes. A lot of greedy publishers are making this error of judgement, which is why a lot of mags are going down the sh*tter.

On a separate note, I thought it was an odd cover. Mark Little taking a selfie with his mates was a great moment, but surely the cover should have featured more of the City players, not a bunch of randoms.

Archived