IGNORED

It Really Is Mental

Which is the way sport should be, and the way the PL doesn't want it to be!

What, with no relegation?

It's too easy for American teams to rebuild and field a team of prospects because no matter how bad your season is, you'll start in the same league the season after equal with everyone else.

What, with no relegation?

It's too easy for American teams to rebuild and field a team of prospects because no matter how bad your season is, you'll start in the same league the season after equal with everyone else.

Now, that's the one part of American sport I don't get

Spike & I were talking more about keeping the sport competitive and not having the same teams winning the league year after year. Although you can argue that well run franchises in NFL, New England, Green Bay spring to mind, who always seem to the there or thereabouts

Hell - even those Arizona Cardinals could win the big one :P

Now, that's the one part of American sport I don't get

Spike & I were talking more about keeping the sport competitive and not having the same teams winning the league year after year. Although you can argue that well run franchises in NFL, New England, Green Bay spring to mind, who always seem to the there or thereabouts

Hell - even those Arizona Cardinals could win the big one :P

I love the idea of a wage cap and a draft system- Especially the wage cap.

But the problem with introducing a draft system into football is it changes everything (possibly not a bad thing) in order to get a process that works. What makes football work is that any team that is registered with the FA could theoretically climb the leagues and become champions of the country- In order for a draft system to work you would have to change this in some way as where would the draft players come from? It's a whole can of worms that whilst trying to repair the game we love could potentially destroy what we loved about it in the first place.

Horrible looking car as is that buggered up Bentley.. a guy who would barely get in the City team, with no taste and no cojones to tell his car supplier not to post such a picture. 

That said I do not begrudge him the salary one jot; it is what the market is, not his fault but he needs to grow up and get control of his image which is besmirched badly now.

But the problem with introducing a draft system into football is it changes everything (possibly not a bad thing) in order to get a process that works. What makes football work is that any team that is registered with the FA could theoretically climb the leagues and become champions of the country- In order for a draft system to work you would have to change this in some way as where would the draft players come from? It's a whole can of worms that whilst trying to repair the game we love could potentially destroy what we loved about it in the first place.

Draft players I think become available when they 'come of age' or are considered good enough to make the pro game.

Whilst I like the idea I can't see it being remotely possible under EU law. Forcing someone to go play for BRFC ? The player would be in the EU court of human rights before any more horses were punched!

He and anyone else are free to spend there money how they wish.

Is he suppose to sit in a one bed flat in Hartcliffe in case he upsets you?

no as I've already posted, he shouldn't be buying stupid cars like that. I firmly believe he should give money to charity and buy a cheaper car( he'd also save himself the hassle of looking like such a wanger in the process)

no as I've already posted, he shouldn't be buying stupid cars like that. I firmly believe he should give money to charity and buy a cheaper car( he'd also save himself the hassle of looking like such a wanger in the process)

All your opinion though, man, which counts for squat.

Knew a chap working as a CEO who drove a modest car. The firm he worked for insisted he drive a more flash motor, for the company's image. He felt very uncomfortable in doing so.

Give certain young men incredible wealth for the sheer luck of them being such commodified assets with limited shelf life, and this is what you get.

If it makes you feel any better, many footballers go bankrupt after football (did read 2/5 go bankrupt). After their very short career is up, many have no further training or skills to take them forward (see Neil Ruddock - couldn't book an appt with his doctors at the age of 35). Many have invested in unsustainable lifestyles once the income dries up. I don't actually envy them. As lefty, liberal, wishy washy and as psycho-babbly as this may come across, footballers are often horribly detached as people.

Can see why things do go tits up for them.

All your opinion though, man, which counts for squat.

Knew a chap working as a CEO who drove a modest car. The firm he worked for insisted he drive a more flash motor, for the company's image. He felt very uncomfortable in doing so.

Give certain young men incredible wealth for the sheer luck of them being such commodified assets with limited shelf life, and this is what you get.

If it makes you feel any better, many footballers go bankrupt after football (did read 2/5 go bankrupt). After their very short career is up, many have no further training or skills to take them forward (see Neil Ruddock - couldn't book an appt with his doctors at the age of 35). Many have invested in unsustainable lifestyles once the income dries up. I don't actually envy them. As lefty, liberal, wishy washy and as psycho-babbly as this may come across, footballers are often horribly detached as people.

Can see why things do go tits up for them.

my opinion counts for everything because I believe it to be true. It doesn't make me feel better knowing anyone going bankrupt but I'd rather someone gave all their money to their favourite charity rather than spending it on flash motors and prancing round like a wanger. That's my point,you tell me what's better charity or wanger?

Same in the NFL, Spike

I love they way the Yanks keep their sports under control with wage caps and drafts, so the worst performing teams get first pick of the kids coming out of college. Can't work here though

On the flip side, there are often strikes and whole seasons have been lost when sides fail to reach a CBA.

my opinion counts for everything because I believe it to be true. It doesn't make me feel better knowing anyone going bankrupt but I'd rather someone gave all their money to their favourite charity rather than spending it on flash motors and prancing round like a wanger. That's my point,you tell me what's better charity or wanger?

That comment was abrupt, was wondering if I'd live to regret it.

My point was how people 'should' or 'shouldn't' spend THEIR money is up to them.

I believe in charitable donations to the right courses but what Steven Fletcher does with his money, I sadly have no authoritative word on. Just an opinion, which has no bearing in actual terms re his decision.

I cancelled my Sky Subscription years ago I Support and watch Bristol City and no one else, it annoys me the amount of idiots you get watching Prem Football in the Pubs these days who never actually go to matches themselves but make out they support one of the Top Four and don't give a sh1t about their local teams .

Prem players are over paid and clubs like Hereford get Wound up in the High Court for a sum of less than Rooney earns in One Day, that is so wrong  

FOOTBALL IS A SPECTATOR SPORT NOT A TV PROGRAMME KICK OUT SKY NOW

I cancelled my Sky Subscription years ago I Support and watch Bristol City and no one else, it annoys me the amount of idiots you get watching Prem Football in the Pubs these days who never actually go to matches themselves but make out they support one of the Top Four and don't give a sh1t about their local teams .

Prem players are over paid and clubs like Hereford get Wound up in the High Court for a sum of less than Rooney earns in One Day, that is so wrong

FOOTBALL IS A SPECTATOR SPORT NOT A TV PROGRAMME KICK OUT SKY NOW

I'm not cancelling my sky subscription because of what footballer earn I like watching cricket golf and other sports and sky is the only way I get to because I simply can't afford to attend everything due to costs and work commitments,

As fishing goes mate, your arguments are a bit 4th division.

I'd love to see our young lads have to go to University and play through a controlled environment there, get an education first, and come into a draft system. I just love the way that works, would be an absolute minefield to set up I suspect, would be good to know if the FA has ever considered the idea? The support the College teams get over there is amazing, in certain places they get bigger crowds than the NFL teams

If Carson Palmer didn't get injured I honestly think we would have. In our own backyard aswell.

You certainly would've been in with a shout last year, some shocking injuries for your boys. Tell you what, give me your 1st rounders for the next 3 years and I'll have a word, see if I can move Brees on from NO, our window has gone, yours may still be open for a while longer

On the flip side, there are often strikes and whole seasons have been lost when sides fail to reach a CBA.

Valid point WOW. Never really read too much into CBA's, find it a bit hard going. Like trying to follow caps, cap hits etc....I wouldn't want to be the man with the calculator working all that out!

Archived