IGNORED

Player Trying To Substitute Himself...

JamesBCFC

There's aspects here which just sound odd: if its been happening all season why only a flair up/reaction at the end of March? Why did he go back on the pitch? Why did the manager play him if he seemed a little loose and knowing what the fans may be like etc

Slightly off topic, but still on the subject of somewhat bizarre substitutions, I was watching a game involving Torino a few weeks ago when their manager was poised to make his 3rd substitution with about 15 mins left. The play then stopped due to a foul on one of the Torino players who promptly went down injured and as he was being treated the substitution was made with a fit player making way due to tactical reasons. Unfortunately, the injured player then had to be carried off and took no further part. Thus the manager had reduced his side to 10 men. Absolutely barmy!

There's aspects here which just sound odd: if its been happening all season why only a flair up/reaction at the end of March? Why did he go back on the pitch? Why did the manager play him if he seemed a little loose and knowing what the fans may be like etc

i agree that it seems odd, and now im seeing reports that the claims of racism were by a fake account using the players name so perhaps it was not a case of racism but one of emineke just going over breaking point after a season of fans getting on his back, I know I have seen another article from bbc sport about him and racism this season though. As for why the coach sent him back out only one person know the answer and that is not me.

Don't often watch Rugby but having watched the last England game I was surprised to see physios run onto the pich and treat injured players on at least 2 occasions while play continued.

No whistle from the ref. and no suggestion of anyone being expected to kick the ball out of play.

The players got up after a while - on one occasion quite a while - and joined in again.

Now, if Rugby can be like that, why not football?

Have you heard the one about the scouse player, that lasted less than 40 seconds in his last game against his biggest rivals.

Not the one who then had various people in the media condoning his lack of professionalism on the basis that the poor thing was merely frustrated at being on the bench? 60 seconds later he's sat on another bench in the changing room - he must have been at boiling point by that stage!!!

Don't often watch Rugby but having watched the last England game I was surprised to see physios run onto the pich and treat injured players on at least 2 occasions while play continued.

No whistle from the ref. and no suggestion of anyone being expected to kick the ball out of play.

The players got up after a while - on one occasion quite a while - and joined in again.

Now, if Rugby can be like that, why not football?

It just wouldn't work in football. The games a lot quicker, in rugby play could be up the other end for 5-10 minutes. In football they'd be in the way within a few seconds sometimes.

It just wouldn't work in football. The games a lot quicker, in rugby play could be up the other end for 5-10 minutes. In football they'd be in the way within a few seconds sometimes.

Yep, but the ball can be kicked a long way in all directions in Rugby and suddenly 20 huge blokes are stampeding after it. If the ball is passed along the line the players fan out and this immediately would affect far more of the pitch than would usually be affected by any passage of play in football.

So if it's seen as workable in Rugby there's no reason why it couldn't work in football, they'd play round an injury just the same.

Perhaps leave out penalty areas where it can get crowded and could feasibly directly affect play.

I'm sure far fewer players would go down injured in the first place, and those that did would usually be down for a far shorter time.

In case of very occasional serious injury, the physio could then alert the ref to stop the game, otherwise he'd scuttle off again without interruption.

Not necessarily odd.

Anyone's frame of mind changes from day to day.  I can think of plenty of times I've seen people laugh off or ignore something for a long time but then the wrong comment at the wrong moment affects them far more than they'd have expected.  The manager may not have known enough about his frame of mind that day to know it was going to happen. 

Archived